U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 03:09 PM

4,693 posts, read 5,079,145 times

Advertisements

According to a new Gallup poll the average American believes 24.6% of the population is gay or lesbian. This is far higher than any official study has ever found.Interesting to see the crosstabs on who is most likely to believe gays are this high a % of the population.

Steve Sailer makes the case that people know nothing when it comes to demographics of all kinds.

Steve Sailer's iSteve Blog: Nobody knows nothing
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 06:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,117 posts, read 62,032,232 times
There are a lot of stupid people, and many smart ones that don't read except for an occasional magazine. I guess this shouldn't be surprising.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:45 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,750,996 times
My take on this is this just goes to show how successful the liberal/gay agenda for "homosexual rights" has been.

Quote:
Looking at the demographic crosstabs, it's evident that low intelligence people were most likely to wildly overestimate the percentage of homosexuals: 53% of people making under $30,000 annually said that at least 25% of the population was gay, and 47% of those with no more than a high school education. 43% of Democrats versus 24% of Republicans got the question wildly wrong.

And who says that liberals are "more intelligent" than conservatives?
Study shows social conservatism linked to lower intelligence

Old 05-29-2011, 07:03 PM

20,460 posts, read 24,070,815 times
The truth is, NO ONE really knows what percentage of people are homosexual - and this goes for those "official" studies as well. For one thing, people tend to lie about sex pretty often (probably more than any other subject), and for another thing - in this particular case (where society has historically frowned upon and even persecuted homosexuality) it's very possble that many folks who are genetically homosexual simply HIDE that fact by pretending to either be heterosexual or simply avoid all sexual relationships.

It's one of those things we'll never really know.

Ken

Old 05-29-2011, 07:04 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,495,037 times
you forgot bisexual people.. who i believe are the majority of non straights..

Old 05-29-2011, 07:19 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,523,957 times
I wish 99 percent of all men were gay. Then ugly S.O.B's like me would have a chance.
Just kidding, I'm married....but hey, the more gay men there are... the better a straight man's odds.

Think about it.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:22 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,495,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I wish 99 percent of all men were gay. Then ugly S.O.B's like me would have a chance.
Just kidding, I'm married....but hey, the more gay men there are... the better a straight man's odds.

Think about it.
think about it again, because for every gay man, there's a gay woman that doesn't LIKE men.. so you're still screwed.

but your humor is telling into society how when they think of gays they automatically assume it's gay men... half of all gay people are gay women you know?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:26 PM

6,716 posts, read 7,399,733 times
I think because there are a disproportinate number of gays in TV and it skews peoples estimates!! Not that there is anything wrong with it (as the old Seinfeld skit went)!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:30 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,523,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
think about it again, because for every gay man, there's a gay woman that doesn't LIKE men.. so you're still screwed.

but your humor is telling into society how when they think of gays they automatically assume it's gay men... half of all gay people are gay women you know?
Someone should've told me to specify just men. Oooo, nevermind.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:30 PM

20,460 posts, read 24,070,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I think because there are a disproportinate number of gays in TV and it skews peoples estimates!! Not that there is anything wrong with it (as the old Seinfeld skit went)!
That's something that I didn't think of - but you're probably right (at least to a degree). I also think that socially liberal folks are more likely to know and associate with gays than socially conservative types - which may explain why liberals' estimates of the number of gays tends to be higher than conservatives' estimates.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies