Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:57 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Perhaps, but I'm more interested in the legal/social/economic implications than the technological ones. That's not really an automotive issue.

I'm really trying to determine how comfortable people are with the idea of sharing the road with driverless vehicles.
Personally, I think it would be safer, but it's still a bit creepy (and I spent YEARS in the technology business).

Ken

Well Ken, I think I'll wait until they make an electric version before I get mine. That way I won't have to be there when it runs out of juice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 06:04 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I thought more on the share the road idea. I could live with that, and would still drive / ride. It's a fact people who have no bee's wax behind the wheel in the first place do anything but drive. I would be far safer driving for myself while anyone who cared a less about the game was driven by the 'Machine'.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:08 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Well Ken, I think I'll wait until they make an electric version before I get mine. That way I won't have to be there when it runs out of juice.
Actually I'm hoping to hear a bit more from YOU on this. You're a "car" guy right? So despite our political differences, you have an opinion on this subject I'd find insightful, interesting and probably informative.

Ken

Old 05-29-2011, 06:10 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
IMO most people don't drive anymore anyway. The sort of pilot cars with auto tranny, and dabble around doing anything else but drive.
Yeah, I have to admit I see a LOT of such people on the road.
Pretty scary.

Ken

Old 05-29-2011, 06:23 PM

391 posts, read 513,623 times
1) yes
2) probably not (I'm CHEAP!) but I'd ride in one
3) Better that than an ordinary Miami driver (smarter, too)
4) I think it will be good for the economy, prices for transportation of goods would eventually come down and the jobs lost to this technology
would be gradual enough.
5) I think there would be more problems with human driver hitting driverless car
6) I think it will take longer in some states than others, it looks like Navada will be first (probably 15-20 years)
7) 30 years

Old 05-29-2011, 06:30 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
So my questions are:

1) Do you approve of this?..........Nope I like to drive.

2) Would you buy a "self-driving" car/truck?....Nope

3) Would you knowingly drive on the road alongside a "self-driving" car/truck?.....If thats the way it was yes.

4) What are the economic implications of this (imagine if there were no need for truck, bus or cab drivers)?.....a lot more unemployment

5) What are the legal implications?...???

6) How long do you think it will take until fully-self-driving vehicles are legal?.......A long, long time

7) How long do you think it will take until MOST vehicles on the road are driving themselves?...not in my life time.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Yeah momonkey is a car guy, I am too. A lot more 'car guys don't come in this room.

I was a Euro car tech SU Carbs thru LH Jetronic FI.

I like driving for the fun of it, sometimes at fairly quick miles, just a tad over the limit, but only when I can, and I can because I live rural. Riding my motorcycle i worry about hitting a Moose much more than anything else. Albeit I am getting older and my reflexes are not what they once were, neither is my eye sight so for sheer speed I make sure no other vehicals are in view, and I know where driveways are or side roads on blind corners.

Still I can screw up. I tend to go look for cops hiding on the bikes and if i find none I will turn back for a special section of sick twisties. One time doing that a car had gone by me the other way. That car killed a 75 pound beaver, and i hit the beaver again! Damnned if they ain't greasy critters.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
aint a computer on earth can drive my jeep. I bypassed every vacuum hose and computer crap I could find, runs great but needs a driver.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:33 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
How long until cars have no drivers?

As long as it takes for a gallon of gas to get to $6.00

Old 05-29-2011, 09:54 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
I got passed today by a driverless car doing about 80, weaving across the lines. The moron sitting where the driver was supposed to be was busy texting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies