Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 01:08 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs985 View Post
I actually believe (from discussions I've had with a homosexual friend) that people are born homosexual and that it is not a conscious choice.

I've never stated that being gay is wrong. If you can find evidence that I have, please enlighten me.

I'm actually extremely open-minded. But thanks anyway!
Wrong or right are open to interpretation, unlike the other things mentioned in this thread which aren't.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:09 AM

80 posts, read 42,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And if scientists did indeed deem homosexuality to be maladaptive or abnormal, what then?
Then I would change my beliefs. It would have to be irrefutable and unbiased research though.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:11 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
I actually believe (from discussions I've had with a homosexual friend) that people are born homosexual and that it is not a conscious choice.

I've never stated that being gay is wrong. If you can find evidence that I have, please enlighten me.

I'm actually extremely open-minded. But thanks anyway!
if you were open minded you would have stated your op as you did.
if you were open minded your ideas about gays would not be described with words that you use. if you were open minded you would not have thought to post this thread as you wouldn't care one way or the other.

you have trouble with human sexuality, if it isn't traditional, man/woman sex it's wrong in your eyes. again you didn't want open debate you wanted others to back your position.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Wrong or right are open to interpretation, unlike the other things mentioned in this thread which aren't.
Personally, I don't think homosexuality is wrong. If someone believes differently, I respect their opinion and their right to free speech.

The problem is, the mainstream media tends to paint viewpoints that don't fit their progressive agenda as "wrong", and that is a major issue in this country IMO.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:12 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
Quote:
Sorry for using an analogy that included slavery bro! I forgot the PC police were out in full force! Next time I'll use a "socially accepted" analogy.

The analogy that I used, although un-PC, was used to display the illogical nature of the argument against my own, not to back up my statement that homosexuality is maladaptive and abnormal. I guess you didn't comprehend that, I'll try to keep it simple (and PC) next time around.
Look, it's not my fault if you don't understand anthropology, sociology, or biology.

No apology needed, afterall I find you ignorance amusing. It's incomprehensible because one is cultural (and in Sudanese culture, slaves are a type of caste, there have been slaves that were kings in Sudan and Mali, I don't expect you to understand that...it's a little beyond your comprehension) and the other is genetic (a caste is not genetic...do you understand).

See, the thing is that you simply are clueless. It would be laughable if there weren't so many people like you. So how about this...go run along and play and leave serious conversations to those that actually know the difference between biological and cultural norms.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:13 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't think homosexuality is wrong. If someone believes differently, I respect their opinion and their right to free speech.

The problem is, the mainstream media tends to paint viewpoints that don't fit their progressive agenda as "wrong", and that is a major issue in this country IMO.
Well because there is nothing wrong with being born homosexual. Is there something wrong with being born with a recessive trait kind? Attached earlobes must be tantamount to slavery in your opinion.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:14 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Then I would change my beliefs. It would have to be irrefutable and unbiased research though.
I still don't understand what your point is, and I'm not sure that anyone else does either.

If homosexuality is maladaptive or abnormal, should people with a same-sex attraction be sent to a therapist? Or receive some other type of medical treatment? Should they be arrested or imprisoned?

Old 05-30-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I addressed the issue, yet you dodged my response.

Why should be civil towards you? You're a bigot. Plain and simple. The earth revolves around the sun, the capital of France is Paris and you are a bigot. All facts.

You clearly don't know anthropology for making that ludicrous comparison of normalization of slavery in Sudan vs. homosexuality (one is a cultural trait the other is genetic). You then essentially stated it's maladaptive because you don't produce offspring (regardless of not knowing that family members of homosexuals are more fertile and more adapted to have male offspring...since homosexuality in males corresponds to increased ability to carry male offspring due to a women's ability to feminize the fetus causing methylation at certain points of the fetal genome...this causes expression of certain genes leading to homosexuality). You don't know about twin studies that have shown that one twin is more likely to be gay if the other twin is gay, whereas siblings have the same affect, the effect is greatly diminished. Twins separated at birth show the same statistical probabilities as those not separated.

Plain and simple people have pointed you in how you're logic is flawed, yet you willfully ignore them and continue condemning homosexuality. With that, it tells most people that you are a bigot. Plain and simple.
I forgot, liberals don't normally engage in civil debate.

I challenge you to provide one instance in which I have condemned homosexuality. I ask that you please tone down your rhetoric. Also, can you please provide sources for the information you just listed, I am interested in analyzing it and forming my own opinion. Again, please keep it civil and tone your rhetoric down.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:15 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
civil tone? you ask for civil tone yet call homosexuals abnormal and maladapted. perhaps if you changed your wording others would be more inclined to be civil

Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I still don't understand what your point is, and I'm not sure that anyone else does either.

If homosexuality is maladaptive or abnormal, should people with a same-sex attraction be sent to a therapist? Or receive some other type of medical treatment? Should they be arrested or imprisoned?
I do not think homosexuals need therapy. I think they should live their lives the way they see fit. I do not think homosexuals require medical treatment. I think they should live their lives the way they see fit. I do not think they should be arrested or imprisoned. I think they should live their lives the way they see fit.

Nice deflect bro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies