Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:48 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Most of the time, no.

Can a 6 year old decide if he wants to wear the green shoes or the blue shoes, yes. Can he decide where he wants to go to school, no. Will he decide when he goes to the Dentist, no. Can he decide if he needs an Apendectomy, no.
So deciding whether to play with a truck or a Barbie doll or whether to wear pink or blue, do you think that falls into the realm of what a child should be able to decide for itself or does it need an adult who knows better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I have mode no assertion of any Christian conspiracy.

A 5,000 year old Egyptian culture does little to prove your claim of 100's of 1000's of years
You created the claim, not me. I corrected you already. And I provided you an example of the distinction between boys and girls thousands of years old.

I suppose we could extend that to the days of the cave man ... the hunter/gatherer history of humans ... are you at all familiar with the term "Hunter-Gatherer'? Yes ... gender roles ... the males hunted and the females gathered. It's an anthropological reality. I can only speculate that the children were taught these skills too ... the boys taught one skill, and the girls another.

Quote:
So you are in complete agreement with the family. A child should choose. That is the entirety of the discussion here.

Except the other side of your face says:
There is no other side ... I'm very consistent. I'm in complete disagreement with those moron parents.

Quote:
So, which is it?
Are children capable of making important decisions about themselves or are they not?
At 4 months old ... 2 years old ... 5 years old ... no.

Are they old enough to pick a toy out of a pile which they would like to play with ... yes.

Quote:
If playing with trucks and dolls is 'inbuilt into the DNA' then to what purpose this entire thread? The parents would have as much luck asking their child to generate a 3rd eye as they would to have their child play with the 'wrong' toy
Ultimately, the purpose of this thread has nothing to do with what these parents will do to their unfortunate children. But this thread does effectively identify the sad fact that these moronic parents are not alone in their mental illness.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:55 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Quote:
So deciding whether to play with a truck or a Barbie doll or whether to wear pink or blue, do you think that falls into the realm of what a child should be able to decide for itself or does it need an adult who knows better?
It depends on the age of the child. Usually parents shop for clothes without the kids input when they are very young. Size is the most important part of the purchase. Often, you don't have a choice on color, you get what's on sale. Kids cost lots of money. You aren't usually going to get rich if you have kids.

My kids like the Gators, as do I, my grandson wears lots of orange and blue.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
There is no other side ... I'm very consistent. I'm in complete disagreement with those moron parents.
Except when you agree with them.

Quote:
It's inbuilt into the DNA, and manifests naturally in little boys and little girls ... left to their OWN CHOICES
All the parents are doing is allowing the children to make their own choices minus as much outside influence as possible.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:59 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Except when you agree with them.

All the parents are doing is allowing the children to make their own choices minus as much outside influence as possible.
You can twist and spin all you want to support your own opinion .... but you're going way too far when you try to claim I agree with you when I absolutely declare that I do not.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
You can twist and spin all you want to support your own opinion .... but you're going way too far when you try to claim I agree with you when I absolutely declare that I do not.
Do you believe that:
A) The child and family should make choices regarding a child's upbringing
or
B) Society at large, whom parents may not agree with, should make choices regarding a child's upbringing

The family chooses A.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:37 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,522 times
How the hell is this a Liberal position??? It's a little strange, in my opinion, to let your child "choose" his/her gender. I thought that gender was a physiological determination. I think it would be more accurate to say that the parents are attempting to let the child drive the direction of his socialization.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:55 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
How the hell is this a Liberal position??? It's a little strange, in my opinion, to let your child "choose" his/her gender. I thought that gender was a physiological determination. I think it would be more accurate to say that the parents are attempting to let the child drive the direction of his socialization.
I think you're thinking about sex. Do you not differentiate between gender and sex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies