Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:03 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times

Advertisements

No doubt Mr. Henderson will be charged with "resisting arrest"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 02:05 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
May I point out that we are only getting one side of the story here?

The entire article is lifted verbatim from Mr. Henderson's law suit. (Follow the links).

In other words, what you are reading is the old man's lawyer's version of events. There is no effort to present the incident from the officer's point of view.

I'm impressed by the fact that this incident occured in 2009, and Ofc. Scott is still with the department. That tells me he survived the initial citizen's complaint and internal investigation (which by law, always preceed a civil suit). To me, that means there are two sides to this story. If the incident occured the way Henderson's lawsuit says it did, Scott would have been likely been fired, or maybe even prosecuted himself.

As a 30 year cop (happily retired), I can tell you that even very old and very young people can present a safety problem for officers. Reading between the lines, it looks to me that Mr Henderson did his civic duty by reporting the incident, then did not extract himself when asked to, and allow the officer to do his job. If that's the case, Henderson may have gone from helping, to interfering. Depending on how forceful he was, that may explain how he wound up on the ground in cuffs, despite his advanced years.

I am dismayed at the knee-jerk anti-cop attitude from most of the posters. Remember, while the officer's actions seem hard to justify, YOU ONLY HAVE ONE SIDE OF THE STORY PRESENTED HERE.

No matter how bad this looks, there are always two sides. The officer definitely has some explaining to do, but we just don't have enough facts yet to make a judgment. It's important to keep an open mind.
That is because too many cops have gone from being the good guys to being the bad guys. I can tell you that, as a law abiding citizen I am very wary of the police.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:11 PM

1,027 posts, read 824,754 times
You people make me sick.

You think cops go around manhandling 80 year olds for fun?

Any dumb-ass sensationalist headline you GOBBLE IT UP.

Thank god we finally got BOTH sides of the story and the video showing the guy harassing the cop.

Plus the guy seems like a jackass doing a "Citizens-Arrest" Aka FALSE IMPRISONMENT.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:17 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
Spoiler

added the spoiler because of language

Old 06-14-2011, 02:28 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
You people make me sick.

You think cops go around manhandling 80 year olds for fun?

Any dumb-ass sensationalist headline you GOBBLE IT UP.

Thank god we finally got BOTH sides of the story and the video showing the guy harassing the cop.

Plus the guy seems like a jackass doing a "Citizens-Arrest" Aka FALSE IMPRISONMENT.
I can just see the headline if the cops hadn't beat him up and sent him to the hospital:

Fairhope Mayor awards citizen the Certificate of Merit in calling police and assisting them by holding a drunken motorist from leaving the scene of horrific accident.

Unfortunately, we'll never see headlines like this again.

I like and respect cops and the important jobs they do, but the CYBubba'sA is still the dominant thought.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:

I am dismayed at the knee-jerk anti-cop attitude from most of the posters. Remember, while the officer's actions seem hard to justify, YOU ONLY HAVE ONE SIDE OF THE STORY PRESENTED HERE.

No matter how bad this looks, there are always two sides. The officer definitely has some explaining to do, but we just don't have enough facts yet to make a judgment. It's important to keep an open mind.
Why would an 84 year old retired army intelligence officer and veteran of 3 wars lie?
And why would his wife?

Old 12-13-2013, 02:56 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Hopefully the old man will file charges of assault and battery against the officer..
he could...probably won't do him no good though...he's one of many...and many more to come.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:46 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
This is why you never call the cops.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:31 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:

The entire article is lifted verbatim from Mr. Henderson's law suit. (Follow the links).

In other words, what you are reading is the old man's lawyer's version of events. There is no effort to present the incident from the officer's point of view.

I'm impressed by the fact that this incident occured in 2009, and Ofc. Scott is still with the department. That tells me he survived the initial citizen's complaint and internal investigation (which by law, always preceed a civil suit). To me, that means there are two sides to this story. If the incident occured the way Henderson's lawsuit says it did, Scott would have been likely been fired, or maybe even prosecuted himself.

As a 30 year cop (happily retired), I can tell you that even very old and very young people can present a safety problem for officers. Reading between the lines, it looks to me that Mr Henderson did his civic duty by reporting the incident, then did not extract himself when asked to, and allow the officer to do his job. If that's the case, Henderson may have gone from helping, to interfering. Depending on how forceful he was, that may explain how he wound up on the ground in cuffs, despite his advanced years.

the cop and chief should both be fired, and the cop who did the beating should be spending time in prison for battery. also the rest of the cops should be reminded that they work and get paid by the people of their community and to do this kind of disservice to them is a surefire way to get fired.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:03 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Angry *

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960
An Alabama police officer allegedly hospitalized an elderly man who called 911 to report an accident across the street from his house while his wife watched the entire beating from her wheelchair.
Poor guy.... ANOTHER IDIOTIC COP OUTTA CONTROL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies