Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:15 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
How do you objectively know that? My friends house burned down because of fireworks. I was evacuated because of a CITY sponsored event. The fireworks were pointed in the wrong direction and went off setting the brush on fire.

California is tinder. San Diego goes inland into the chaparral. Most people out of state think that San Diego is solely coastal.

Here is another picture of San Diego:

Notice it's not beach...but dry chaparral brush. This is a part of San Diego city.
City governments regularly prohibit fireworks due to dry conditions. They do this without an environmental impact study. All the city government has to do is not issue the required permits for such displays. Since you live in the area you can tell me if this "environmental impact study" is also being required for fireworks being discharged on barges off the coast. If this is the case then I stand by my original statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 05:10 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Read the articles surrounding this decision and there is no mention of a fire hazard as it concerns fireworks to be shot over the ocean and possible endangerment of marine life. This case does not consider the dry countryside as an issue.

This law group who stopped the fireworks is part of a progressive movement and all that being progressive entails. Find Acorn, global warming, illegal immigrant support, on and on among the organizations supported by the law group.

So it is not a stretch to conclude the "environment" is simply a sympathetic cause used to advance a progressive agenda and rewrite America's history in the pleading words of Michelle Obama. Fireworks on the 4th is to the progressives what the twin towers were to UBL. A grand symbol of America as we knew it that would make a fine trophy head on some radical's wall.

Lawyer Marco Gonzalez law group supports:

" As a concerned corporate citizen, Coast Law Group itself supports a number of causes, including:"

http://foundation4change.org/
http://www.progressivesd.org/
http://www.acornhousing.org/TEXT/offices.php?reg=5
http://activistsandiego.org/

""Bill Seeks to Protect Waterfront Fireworks

“Should hell freeze over and Assemblymember Harkey’s bill suddenly have a chance of passing, it still would do nothing to address the requirements that fireworks shows over water comply with the Federal Clean Water Act,” said CERF attorney Marco Gonzalez. “A permit will still be required.” Read Full Story »"

Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
City governments regularly prohibit fireworks due to dry conditions. They do this without an environmental impact study. All the city government has to do is not issue the required permits for such displays. Since you live in the area you can tell me if this "environmental impact study" is also being required for fireworks being discharged on barges off the coast. If this is the case then I stand by my original statement.
So you don't objectively know that. You feel that tighter restrictions are due to anti-American sentiment in a naval city? I proposed that this is a possibility. However I am willing to admit I don't concretely know...as you don't either. I feel that being un-American is not the cause. Esp. since every year, it seems, the city goes up in flames...and in the past fireworks were to blame. After the massive El Nino and the dry summer that followed there is MORE brush than usual. The worst fires occur during a La Nina after a big El Nino.

The proposition for off coast barges may be due to a study that concludes that there is localized pollution caused by fireworks. Again, I earlier stated that I would have to see the study to form an opinion. I don't like jumping to conclusions.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:20 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
[quote=Kracer;19379030]Read the articles surrounding this decision and there is no mention of a fire hazard as it concerns fireworks to be shot over the ocean and possible endangerment of marine life. This case does not consider the dry countryside as an issue.

This law group who stopped the fireworks is part of a progressive movement and all that being progressive entails. Find Acorn, global warming, illegal immigrant support, on and on among the organizations supported by the law group.

So it is not a stretch to conclude the "environment" is simply a sympathetic cause used to advance a progressive agenda and rewrite America's history in the pleading words of Michelle Obama. Fireworks on the 4th is to the progressives what the twin towers were to UBL. A grand symbol of America as we knew it that would make a fine trophy head on some radical's wall.

Lawyer Marco Gonzalez law group supports:

" As a concerned corporate citizen, Coast Law Group itself supports a number of causes, including:"

http://foundation4change.org/
http://www.progressivesd.org/
http://www.acornhousing.org/TEXT/offices.php?reg=5
http://activistsandiego.org/

""Bill Seeks to Protect Waterfront Fireworks

“Should hell freeze over and Assemblymember Harkey’s bill suddenly have a chance of passing, it still would do nothing to address the requirements that fireworks shows over water comply with the Federal Clean Water Act,” said CERF attorney Marco Gonzalez. “A permit will still be required.” Read Full Story »"[/QUOTE

It is a citywide ordinance. Meaning that the dry "countryside" (it's not countryside...it's dense suburban and urban sprawl) are also affected...since much of the city is dry brush (Scripps Ranch, Carmel Mountain Ranch, Rancho Pensaquitos, Mira Mesa, Spring Valley, Sabre Springs, etc). The article made no mention concerning the rationale. It did state that their would be restrictions also about shooting fireworks off the coast.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
This ruling is neither Left nor Right. It is just stupid.

I can see prohibiting fireworks, campfires and brush burning in tinder dry areas as they do in New Hampshire if the woods are exceptionally dry. That just makes sense. Worrying about the environmental impact of a multibillion gallon oil spill makes sense. Worrying about the paper floating away after an ocean based fireworks display does not.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
I know where we wont be going for the fourth of July. drive out your residents,businesses and tourists, then cry

Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
environmentalist maybe they should focus on real problems, gosh..

YouTube - ‪troubled Waters New River‬‏

Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
When you realize that there are several Texas-sized areas of our oceans that are dead due to our plastic pollution, it should not be too difficult to see how the introduction of explosive materials and chemicals into a beach area would be a bad idea. At no point should the environment be expendable. If it requires an impact study, then do it. If that's prohibitive, then change what you're doing or come up with a safe alternative. This is logical, not liberal craziness.

If conservatives determined the course of California's environment, it would be so smoggy you'd have to cut the air with a knife and no one would want to live there except for trailer trash with tobacco stained teeth waving their plastic American flags made in China.

I'm glad this decision was made. While certainly a bummer for any July 4th sky shows, it's refreshing to see that care is being taken to consider that our actions have consequences. How long after the Cuyahoga River set on fire in Cleveland did it take for people to realize that dumping crap in the water had limits? We really can't afford to overlook the 'small' things without accepting the possibility of dire circumstances...Texas-sized dead zones come to mind.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:50 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
When you realize that there are several Texas-sized areas of our oceans that are dead due to our plastic pollution, it should not be too difficult to see how the introduction of explosive materials and chemicals into a beach area would be a bad idea. At no point should the environment be expendable. If it requires an impact study, then do it. If that's prohibitive, then change what you're doing or come up with a safe alternative. This is logical, not liberal craziness.

If conservatives determined the course of California's environment, it would be so smoggy you'd have to cut the air with a knife and no one would want to live there except for trailer trash with tobacco stained teeth waving their plastic American flags made in China.

I'm glad this decision was made. While certainly a bummer for any July 4th sky shows, it's refreshing to see that care is being taken to consider that our actions have consequences. How long after the Cuyahoga River set on fire in Cleveland did it take for people to realize that dumping crap in the water had limits? We really can't afford to overlook the 'small' things without accepting the possibility of dire circumstances...Texas-sized dead zones come to mind.
Wow...a sensible, rational and cohesive post found among the rubbish posts.

Yes, actions have consequences, but unfortunately for the planet and its intelligent and aware inhabitants, there exists a portion that stupidly believe that when they trash a place, it magically disappears like fairy dust. What a crew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies