Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 AM

11 posts, read 36,356 times

Advertisements

It seem everything goes well in china especially compare with west economy. But think about Brazil, Mexico.
Which level country china would be? What is your idea?

Is there any one believe India would be success in near future?

What is your viewpoint to compare with India and China?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
As a casual observer, it would seem China is more committed than India to creating the infrastructure needed to become a fully developed nation. Maybe that's because China simply has more room to build from scratch than India. I've heard of entire cities of 3 million people springing to life in China in a 20-year time span. India just doesn't have anywhere to put a new city of 3 million people, and it's a lot easier to just start from scratch than to retrofit a modern infrastructure into an existing megacity like Bombay or New Delhi.

Additionally, an authoritarian government that can simply command infrastructure into place makes it easier than in a democratic society where people can squabble for a decade or longer over where to put a single mass transit line, and then squabble for another 10 years about how to fund it. Of course, the danger of using authoritarian power to command major economic, social and infrastructural shifts, even when the ultimate goal is a more free-market economy, is the likelihood of misreading supply and demand signals and waste a lot of resources building stuff that isn't needed or building it in places where it isn't needed or wasn't the most efficient use of land and the like.

I also suspect there are fewer cultural barriers to upward mobility in China than in India, but again, just a hunch rather than an educated conclusion.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:01 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,921,371 times
the speed in which china is progressing is unsustainable.. and leads one to believe that a bubble is forming.. when it will burst is the question. Much of the economic data out of china is questionable, because they do not have a free and open society. It is my belief that china does not seek to better the lives of it's citizens, what it seeks is global control and power and influence, to do so militarily would stifle any lasting chances of it happening.. so what they seek to accomplish it in the marketplace. Essentially using the west's individualism and greed against itself. Enticing greed from the west for large capital investments which will essentially gut their own national economies . What china has created is a funnel of wealth transfer from the west to them, and they are using their vast amount of cheap endless manpower (people) to make it happen. There certainly are some benefits for some, which is natural with such wealth coming into the country.. but I still hold strong to the belief that china could care less about the welfare of it's people, it's people are just another resource used for attaining a goal of global dominance

Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
As a casual observer, it would seem China is more committed than India to creating the infrastructure needed to become a fully developed nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
the speed in which china is progressing is unsustainable.. and leads one to believe that a bubble is forming..

Interesting piece on this:

China's Ghost Cities & Malls

64,000,000 new vacant dwellings

Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I will not attempt to predict China's future in any detail because I do not have the time for adequate study. However, as the Han people have been successfully taking care of themselves for the last 6,000 years I do not expect them to stop anytime soon. Or ever.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,778,487 times
I'm not so sure about China. Each year they need massive growth to keep their population under control. The way technology is empowering individuals will eventually loosen Beijing's grip on control and then after that all bets are off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies