Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:19 PM

163 posts, read 428,918 times

Advertisements

Double posting because I'm not sure which forum this belongs in

Case in point:

Are Young College Grads Too Lazy to Work? - NYTimes.com

In terms of purchasing a first home, student loans, getting the required credentials for even getting our foot in the door in the first place, recent grads have been feeling the heat and have had to pay out the wazoo. I make an alright salary in an extremely high cost of living area, graduated with an engineering degree, and I absolutely laugh at the prospect of me having the 2.3 kids, picket fence, etc. etc. without finding a wife who has a similarly decently paying job - which is rare in this economy

-----------------------------------------------------

::is boomer::

::rails against youth entitlement::

::went to college when school was 2-3k per year and could be paid for with summer job money::

::went to law school under the same circumstances::

::to the extent college became a joke, set the boomer policies that made it so (participation ribbons for all; everyone should go to college; no dumb questions/people; bitchtits soft majors espousing one group or the other is oppressed; emphasized feeling over counting/discovering/observing)::

::worked many fewer hours than youngs as technology has made most high paying jobs (all professional service jobs, most middle management and higher industry jobs) 24/7/365 efforts::

::grew up and worked in one of the greatest periods of growth and prosperity one country has ever experienced in the history of the world::

::didn't save enough for retirement::

::instead bought a used Porsche boxer and ****ty vacation house in Florida which is now 300k underwater::

:asses healthcare law that has effect of youth subsidizing olds (pre-medicare age olds) health insurance::

::refused to subsidize their parent's health insurance in the manner they're demanding of their kids (healthcare debates of 86 and 93)::

::refuses any and all changes to social security and medicare::

::refuses any tax scheme that would pay for same (even with help from youngs)::

::demands younger generations pay for all + interest -- all while knowing younger generation won't get their levels of benefits, if they get anything.::

::Intentionally drives economy off cliff because assume only people that will still be around when it hits the hard rock bottom are kids and grandkids ::

::refused to ever ****ing grow up (see, e.g., all the ads aimed at boomers, often for ED medication, portraying 50+ year old boomers in rock bands, surfing, and rock climbing; the many offices around the country where the greatest generation and the under 40 workers wear suits and the boomers wear rumpled polos and khakis in order to stick it to the man).::

::refused or were incapable of raising kids because they were overgrown children themelves (with a totally cool corvette!)::

::to the extent kids were raised, they were raised to be trophies for the boomer's happiness/contentment/bragging. Another way to oneup Tim Jones next door::

::are on pace to die penniless; they had the greatest wealth of any american generation and are projected to pass on the least to their kids and heirs::

::calls younger kids lazy and entitled::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 04:21 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,241,313 times
If anything the Millennials are coddled and pampered way to much. Remember, they are the "Baby on Board" generation. The boomer's want to still helicopter around them and protect them.

Gen-X is the generation hated by the boomers.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:25 PM

163 posts, read 428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
If anything the Millennials are coddled and pampered way to much. Remember, they are the "Baby on Board" generation. The boomer's want to still helicopter around them and protect them.

Gen-X is the generation hated by the boomers.
I'm certainly not denying that my generation has its problems. Too emasculated, doesn't stand up for themselves, mostly full of wusses.

I have a different experience, as I immigrated here as a young child whose family had different values than most american ones

Old 05-30-2011, 04:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,140,822 times
"Why do baby boomers look down on Gen Y?"

A rather broad generalization wouldn't you say?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:34 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,464,551 times
Boomers are the most self-indulgent, overrated generation ever. Terrific post.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:35 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,241,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
I'm certainly not denying that my generation has its problems. Too emasculated, doesn't stand up for themselves, mostly full of wusses.

I have a different experience, as I immigrated here as a young child whose family had different values than most american ones
That would make a difference. You may enjoy the work of Strauss and Howe, they are (now Howe, Strauss died) the leading generational demographers in the country. Their book Generations was amazing.

You can get a lot of their free articles and work here. www.lifecourse.com

Old 05-30-2011, 04:37 PM

167 posts, read 240,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Why do baby boomers look down on Gen Y?"

A rather broad generalization wouldn't you say?
Stereotype is a more proper word.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:41 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,437,395 times
I can't speak for all baby boomers, but I don't respect that segment of any generation that has no respect for those who came before them.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:45 PM

45,579 posts, read 60,955,074 times
We look down on you because we're usually standing up while you're sitting down.

Of course while you're sitting you are catching up on Facebook, sending tweets, downloading games and asking for a day off when you have no leave accumulated.

All kidding aside, what pisses off the Boomer in me is the incessant whining about how tough it is. This isn't the first recession the US has had and it won't be the last. The Boomers went through several and after each one, especially the 1981-83 one (which was arguably worse than today) the whole nature of work changed. That stranded a lot of people and all of a sudden the old rules of having a high school diploma and a willingness to work didn't apply anymore. That was when the push for "college for all" started.

Also many Gen Y, and a fair number of Gen X, seem to have a sense of entitlement-they want the quick promotion, they want a "starter" home that is what took their parents decades to get, if they ever did. You wouldn't believe the number of 20 to 35 year olds I talk to that just absolutely can not survive in anything less than 4000 sq. ft. for two people.

I just re-read your original and I'd like to know what summer job in the 1960s and early 70s, when minimum wage was between $1/hr and $2.50/hr, would get you enough to pay tuition? That's just more bull****, to go with some of the rest. To give perspective I worked a factory job in the mid 70s that paid $4.65/hour. Top rate at that unionized factory was $11.50/hr for a journeyman electrician.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,330,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
All kidding aside, what pisses off the Boomer in me is the incessant whining about how tough it is. This isn't the first recession the US has had and it won't be the last. The Boomers went through several and after each one, especially the 1981-83 one (which was arguably worse than today) the whole nature of work changed. That stranded a lot of people and all of a sudden the old rules of having a high school diploma and a willingness to work didn't apply anymore. That was when the push for "college for all" started.
That was also when the first wave of the Millennials began to be born. That recession pretty much directed the course of the future in terms of school and jobs for Millennials. Boomer and some X parents pushed their Millies to excel in school to get into a good college to be sure they would be living well off right out of college. Well, that didn't happen did it? Just like their grandparents and their grandparents, the Millennials are coming of age during economic disruptions. Their ancestors came of age during the Great Depression, now the Millies are coming of during the Great Recession. And this is a cycle of 80 years in the making.

I disagree about the early 80s recession being worse, the unemployment rate today is actually higher than what the govt. officials show. We are much worse off in terms of spending and the federal debt and deficit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies