Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 06:29 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Muppets are more endearing than the Right's sockpuppets.
That Miss Piggy is a tramp, though. Disgraceful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 06:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav51lin View Post
cut coroporate welfare first

There is distinct difference between letting a company keep more of the revenue they generate than giving it to someone else. If a corporate owned channel is getting a tax break for something they are still writing the government a check. The government takes that money and writes CPB, PBS. NPR and the stations a check.

FYI one way a company can get "corporate welfare" is by sponsoring shows on PBS.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:34 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
It's true. Sesame Street is pure evil.

I mean, what did people think was going on with Bert and Ernie? Two bachelors living together? Sleeping in the same bedroom? Oh, yeah, sure, they slept in separate twin beds. Whatever. That was just for appearances, just like Rob and Laura couldn't sleep in the same bed back in the 60s.

Who does PBS they think they're kidding? Unadulterated indoctrination. Everyone should be listening to wholesome, family-friendly programming like Ben Shapiro. That is, people who are incapable of independent, critical thought and who are ideologically dependent on their masters, the media.

Freaking stupid.
Lol

Old 06-23-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Wow. Are you folks really this paranoid? I swear, i need to open a store selling tin foil hats.
Only in the US would defunding excellent, cherished, invaluable, important programming of national public radio even be considered, let alone promoted. To mitigate "indoctrination."

Well, no, on second thought, I'm probably wrong about that. It might happen in China or North Korea, as well, if programming didn't tow the line of the Communist governments. And probably in places like Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Iran. So, no, the US is among good company.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Your tax dollars also go to Trumps legal bills and golf outtings

And they went Presidents before him and will go to Presidents after him. Whether Trump is on the golf course, sitting in the oval office or he stops at Burger King it's costing taxpayer dollars.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I think Qanon is behind this thread.
You know what else is behind this thread? 9 years.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Only in the US would defunding excellent, cherished, invaluable, important programming of national public radio even be considered,

You pay for the programming I consider "excellent, cherished, invaluable, important programming" and we'll call it a deal.

PBS has outlived it's usefulness. They went on air before the first VCR let alone being able to pull a small device out of you pocket nearly anywhere in the world to learn anything you need to know.

Quote:
It might happen in China or North Korea,

Government funded media in those nations is prevalent and in the case on North Korea the only thing available. They are propaganda tools.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:48 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
I think some of the other posters have covered the absurdity of the premise of this thread well, so I'll just say that this is usually the caliber of the source that is referenced in these kinds of threads:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-blaze/

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy.

Overall, we rate The Blaze strongly Right Biased based on story selection that almost always favors the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to a few failed a check and loaded emotional headlines.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You know what else is behind this thread? 9 years.
Ha! You're right; never noticed that.

Oh, well. The mods would delete old threads if we weren't supposed to ever respond to them.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You pay for the programming I consider "excellent, cherished, invaluable, important programming" and we'll call it a deal.

PBS has outlived it's usefulness. They went on air before the first VCR let alone being able to pull a small device out of you pocket nearly anywhere in the world to learn anything you need to know.
Oh, you're one of those people who foolishly thinks people can find "anything you need to know" on the internet. LOL.

Do you not understand that a only a tiny fraction of (high quality) internet content is visible in the Surface Web? That much of the Invisible, or Deep Web is accessible only in paid databases and other massive subscription-only repositories of password-protected data?

If you don't know that, then I'm not sure your views on what you consider the subversive nature of NPR are any more reliable or than most of the garbage websites you gather "information" from.

I used to work at a college where students -- and instructors, sadly-- thought wide-open Googling the equivalent of academic research. No wonder students are becoming dumber.

Besides, by your logic, books, movie theaters, television, and radio have "outlived their usefulness," too. Come to think of it, as someone who cut cable a few years ago and doesn't miss it, I'm inclined to agree with you about TV. But that wasn't your intent.

And you do realize that most of the internet and its various tools are brought to you by those subversive liberals, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You pay for the programming I consider "excellent funded media in those nations is prevalent and in the case on North Korea the only thing available. They are propaganda tools.
Precisely what I said. If any radio programming were to deviate from the party lines in China or North Korea, it would be pulled just like y'all want to pull NPR.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 06-23-2020 at 07:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies