Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 03:21 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Rather than shaking a finger at him or beating him with a belt, maybe burn him with a cigarette - or if you don't want to leave a mark, maybe starve him for a week. Do that, and I bet he never flushes anyone's things down the toilet again.

and why would you starve a child your insane and proving that with each post....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Rather than shaking a finger at him or beating him with a belt, maybe burn him with a cigarette - or if you don't want to leave a mark, maybe starve him for a week. Do that, and I bet he never flushes anyone's things down the toilet again.
Why don't we just saw one of his legs off while we're at it.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:08 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
and why would you starve a child your insane and proving that with each post....
I hope you realize hammertime (and I) are both being heavily sarcastic.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's not a study. It's one after the next, after the next, after the next. There are tons of studies on this.

From real life experience...all I have learned is that spanking teaches using violence over words.

From real life experience...children can be raised to be well-mannered, kind, thoughtful, and considerate human beings without the need for spanking at all.

My whole point, though, is that most parents who "spank" actually physically abuse their children. Maybe you and a few others posters on here exercise wise judgment, but the vast majority of parents don't. As a result, even though it's not your intention, when you condone spanking, many parents understand that to mean that hitting their children out of anger and beating them is okay. It's like giving them the "go" on physically abusing their children.

Not everyone who is spanked becomes physically abusive, but there's definitely an increased risk, and every person I have talked to who was spanked had to go through a period of erasing the conditioning to be violent. Some people are wise enough and strong enough to break that cycle, but a lot of people aren't.
despite many people telling you that spanking should no be done while angry you keep bringing it up, which makes it seem like you're not really interested in having a conversation about the topic but just repeating your own views over and over again.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:51 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
despite many people telling you that spanking should no be done while angry you keep bringing it up, which makes it seem like you're not really interested in having a conversation about the topic but just repeating your own views over and over again.
There's nothing that I find less convincing from anti-spankers than the kind of hyperbole that some choose to use that compares a spanking with violent assaults, torture, and gross injury. Not only is the analogy just plain wrong its an insult to people who really have been the victim of that kind of abuse. The real extreme ones seem unable to make any distinction at all. Its truly pathetic.

I don't like euphemisms and for the sake of argument, I'll even accept that spanking is a form of hitting. I am a parent and I have always used spanking as a last resort type punishment. Parents should try to avoid spanking(hitting) their children as much as possible.

I'm proof though that even some liberals believe though that an occasional spanking of a badly behaved child is necessary. I'm not talking about using a belt or any object. I'm not talking about spanking bare skin. I have on a couple of occasions, taken my son over my knee and given him a spanking on the seat of his underpants with my hand. One time was when he had lied to me about where he had been earlier that day. Another time was when I found out he had gone with some friends and played near a raging creek during spring run off after being told not to do so. Neither behavior was repeated.

I am willing to be judged by parents who have raised children. I am not willing to be judged by people with no children who choose to act in a self-righteous "holier than thou" manner.

No one here condones child abuse. However, to confuse child abuse with appropriate correction and discipline from a parent is insulting, and again, contemptuous of those who are real victims of domestic abuse.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 2,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
If the kid needs his *** whipped...then I say have at it regardless of location.
Two things. Children never need to be hit. Parents think they need to hit children because they will not take the time and effort to learn humane dignified ways of teaching children appropriate behavior. By hitting children you are simply setting in motion rebellion and more inappropriate behavior.

Please go take a parenting class and learn how to be a parent.

-- Set rules in your home for all members of the family, such as no hitting, shouting, name calling, cursing, or ridiculing. Be firm about the boundaries of acceptable behavior.
-- Reward good behavior and create clear consequences for bad behavior. If children fail to comply, don’t automatically spank or yell. Instead, respond gently and follow through with the punishment.
-- If you lose your cool, stop, leave the room or count to 10. Then speak with your child after you have calmed down.
-- Remember that children mimic you. If you want youngsters to behave respectfully, you must behave respectfully -- even if you feel a meltdown coming on.

Provided by Pennsylvania State University (news : web)[/font]

Humane punishment can be taking away the TV, Gameboy, or other favorite toy. Timeouts work. You can find many ways to direct children that will not destroy their trust in you.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There's nothing that I find less convincing from anti-spankers than the kind of hyperbole that some choose to use that compares a spanking with violent assaults, torture, and gross injury. Not only is the analogy just plain wrong its an insult to people who really have been the victim of that kind of abuse. The real extreme ones seem unable to make any distinction at all. Its truly pathetic.
You seem confused because you are not stating the anti-spanking rationale correctly.

Police reports and hospital records have been extensively researched by social scientists trying to understand how children wind up in the hospital seriously injured by their parents.

What the research shows is that children are severely injured by parents who have far too much confidence in their self control. Perhaps the child is not crying hard or they may even smile as if to say, "you cannot hurt me" in a show of bravado.

At that point what started as moderate punishment turns into criminal assault.

For this reason child experts have reached consensus that the message to parents is never hit your child for any reason whatsoever. There are humane methods of gaining compliance that work and do not carry the risk of destroying the trust between you and your child that is so vital in teaching them life lessons.

It is estimated that the majority of hitting incidences do not cause lasting damage to the child or to your relationship. But a surprising number will do damage to both of you. So the thing to remember is hitting children is a risk factor in the same sense that using tobacco is a risk factor for heart disease or cancer.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 AM

Default Here is an extensive resource for parents and others

Plain Talk About Spanking
Plain Talk About Spanking

Old 02-25-2016, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 494 times
You are all ignorant. There is no way to justify hitting a child you only reach for a excuse because within you know it to be wrong. The only reason you hit your child is due to one thing....YOUR FEAR. Are you truly that ignorant that you must result to caveman like endeavors to resolve the situation? Can your microscopic brains not function highly enough for you to formulate a alternative form of punishment or to chat with said child instead of beating them into minding you? Doctors around the world will tell you how wrong it is to hit a child how much damage it does spiritually mentally emotionally physically and yet.....you get angry when your child gets hurt? You do the worst pain of all to them when you their parent throw your fits of rage toward your children just so you feel better and in control. Pathetic really. Give them up for adoption much better chance of a loving home they don't fear coming to.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:40 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,172 times
Quote:
I don't think a parent should ever hit a child (especially a prepubescent child).
Then when your kid grows up and not disciplined, has no respect for authority, and cannot hold a job, remember it is your fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies