Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:59 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Hammer- I respect your opinion. But I don't consider tapping your kids hindside as a corrective action as a level of violence.

However, it is unfortunate that there are some parents who strike/hit their children as a form of abuse...this is a case of the Parent needing a severe *** whipping and their arms snapped off to protect the youngin'.
There's certainly a difference between a mouthy 16 year old who won't tell you where he's been when he comes home 3 hours after cerfew and a 4 year old who won't listen to you and put his toys away. Giving the 16 year old a bit of a pop doesn't bother me too much. Hitting/spanking (whatever) a 4 year old though is highly inappropriate.

Hitting a small child certainly might be effective in correcting misbehavior. However, it's a horrible thing to do to a child. A really small child doesn't fully understand it - they just interpret it as "mommy doesn't love me and is hitting me so I better as hell stop so she'll love me again." It controls them through fear. The child learns that violence and hitting is an acceptable way to deal with others (it's been shown that young children who are spanked are much more likely to be bullies).

Spanking a child might be effective at quickly correcting misbehavior - but it's destructive in the long run. It a sign of lazy, weak, and selfish parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 05:03 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
There's certainly a difference between a mouthy 16 year old who won't tell you where he's been when he comes home 3 hours after cerfew and a 4 year old who won't listen to you and put his toys away. Giving the 16 year old a bit of a pop doesn't bother me too much. Hitting/spanking (whatever) a 4 year old though is highly inappropriate.

Hitting a small child certainly might be effective in correcting misbehavior. However, it's a horrible thing to do to a child. A really small child doesn't fully understand it - they just interpret it as "mommy doesn't love me and is hitting me so I better as hell stop." It controls them through fear. The child learns that violence and hitting is an acceptable way to deal with others (it's been shown that young children who are spanked are much more likely to be bullies).

Spanking a child might be effective at quickly correcting misbehavior - but it's destructive in the long run. It a sign of lazy, weak, and selfish parenting.
Hmmmm. Interesting. One of my earliest memories of discipline from my Dad was when slapped my hindside for failing to clean my room after my Mother asked me twice...I was about 5 or 6.

I never did it again.

I love my Dad to the core. Lazy? Nope. Weak? Nope. Selfish? Hardly. May he rest in peace.

Sorry, but I don't buy it.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:10 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
Hmmmm. Interesting. One of my earliest memories of discipline from my Dad was when slapped my hindside for failing to clean my room after my Mother asked me twice...I was about 5 or 6.

I never did it again.

I love my Dad to the core. Lazy? Nope. Weak? Nope. Selfish? Hardly. May he rest in peace.

Sorry, but I don't buy it.
I was spanked too (something my parents now regret and say if they had a do over would remove from their parenting arsenal). I didn't say every kid who is spanked will be emotionally scared and violent. Study after study shows that it greatly raises the odds though.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:15 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:

A really small child doesn't fully understand it - they just interpret it as "mommy doesn't love me and is hitting me so I better as hell stop so she'll love me again." It controls them through fear. The child learns that violence and hitting is an acceptable way to deal with others (it's been shown that young children who are spanked are much more likely to be bullies).
WOW, I'm sure you can provide a link that shows this, since you are quoting something...Also, does the parent explain why they were spanked....not hit, but spanked....

Quote:
Yea, that's why the children of today are so good and such little darlings........

Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,648 times
I was smaacked on the bottom maybe 3 or 4 times as a small child... afterwards the threat of being smacked was more than enough to stop me in my tracks !! It was always as a last resort and all the threats of no dessert / sweets / being allowed to play at so and sos house etc didn't work...

Admittedly I was a horrid child and remember having fits of stamping my feet and squealing to get what I wanted..... I'm amazed I wasn't severely beaten.....

Old 05-31-2011, 05:31 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Please provide some ways then...I would love to hear these ways....Really....
seriously? you can't figure out a better way to discipline than hitting a kid?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:43 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
I believe too many of the problems facing todays children, is that they have Parents who don't believe in parenting, or discipline in any way. The Parents want to be their child's friend, and that does become a problem.

I don't see anything wrong with a child being disiplined as long as a spank is warranted, right then and there. And explaining to the child their behavior caused the spank. The problem is today i know that there are some parents afraid to discipline their children or to spank them, when you have children, threatening that they will call on the parents.

They say hitting a child soft, or hard, does not work, but you know i am not sure about that saying, cause i know many children who were hit by their parents, and never ever again did what they got in trouble for.

I've seen first hand too many of todays kids so out of control, and they lack any respect at all.
I believe there is a difference between a discipline spank, and all out physical abuse.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:08 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Oh, I do...but I want to hear what you do.....

Do you take the kids games away, what about the snacks....what about TV....what about grounding, what about going to be early....

I want to hear what you do, do you sit the child down and say...now you know that you were not supposed to do that...now next time, breath and meditate before you do that...

O.K. that's over, here is you ice cream...

Old 05-31-2011, 06:13 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASE11 View Post
See! even ^ this conservatard says smacking the shyit out of your kid is ok.

My daughter is the most well behaved, with manners and respect for others, too, of any kid I have seen in today's world.

Have I smacked my kid... You betcha!

Do I smack the kid all the time, No. I have not had to in many years. All I have to say is, "Do you want to get your ass tore up?"

She knows it can happen.

Yes, there are many versions to gain respect from a child. There is only one way that works. and it works very well.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:16 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post

I good warning, that they are fixing to get their ass tore up with the belt, usually works.
If it doesn't the belt does work. I guarantee they won't do it ever again. They won't even test you on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies