Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 08:57 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that hitting the chilluns falls out of favor about the time the kids are big enough to hit back.

Which is too bad because that's the time they are usually misbehaving and could really use a good beat down.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I tend to question this a bit. I won't go into the racial part of it this time, but I will say this. You could go to a prison and find plenty of people who got spanked or beaten, in public. In some cases, embarrassment doesn't have an effect on someone who has a "screw society" kind of mentality. A small pop on the bum for a child is one thing. I'm not saying don't do that. I'm saying that I've seen kids get spanked in public. It doesn't always work.
It rarely works.

I used to work in a juvenile detention center working with the families.

"I beat him and beat him and he still gets in fights."

I can't count how many times I heard this.

Parents need to develop better child management strategies, ones that work when they are more than an arm's length away.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:54 PM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I was getting some donuts at the bakery in a grocery store and this 4 year old kid was climbing across the glass display case. I wanted to say " Get off there" but he jumped down when his mother told him to come with her.
No spanking but an open hand slap on the back of the head might be okay.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I was getting some donuts at the bakery in a grocery store and this 4 year old kid was climbing across the glass display case. I wanted to say " Get off there" but he jumped down when his mother told him to come with her.
No spanking but an open hand slap on the back of the head might be okay.
Perfect.

And if the person ahead of you puts their fingerprints all over the case, how about an open hand slap on the back of the head?

If the cashier gets your order confused, how about a quick back hand across the mouth?

There are all sorts of situations that might be improved by a quick slap.

Though if people persisted in inappropriate behavior, I suppose you'd have to resort to a fist or a couple kicks, but I think most people would respond well to a slap. Don't you?

Old 12-10-2018, 01:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Shopping at my local co-op, I saw a kid of maybe 7 or 8 at the bulk spice counter, dumping spices out of the jars all over the counter and drawing pretty pictures in the spices. His mother, about 8 or 10 feet away, gave me a nasty look when I said to my spouse "Boy, I'm glad I grew up with a mom who would have slapped the crap out of me if I'd pulled a stunt like that". I was praying that she'd get in my face, but no luck.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:12 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Shopping at my local co-op, I saw a kid of maybe 7 or 8 at the bulk spice counter, dumping spices out of the jars all over the counter and drawing pretty pictures in the spices. His mother, about 8 or 10 feet away, gave me a nasty look when I said to my spouse "Boy, I'm glad I grew up with a mom who would have slapped the crap out of me if I'd pulled a stunt like that". I was praying that she'd get in my face, but no luck.
That's normal.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:20 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I hear that a lot from parents who have no idea how to parent children and who have kids who are completely out of control.
This exactly. Far to many households are run by the kids instead of the parents these days. I do not believe in the use of corporal punishment as a "go to" for all transgressions. But there are occasions when a timeout and a stern talking too aren't going to cut it. That being said, between by two children, who are both over the age of 16 now, I only had to spank maybe 3 times, and these were very brief. Maybe 3 or 4 pops on the butt. It was more an attention-getter than anything. Taking away property for extended periods of time was my "go to" punishment, and it worked pretty well. Nothing like a kid who is scared they will lose their TV/video game/movie/toys/etc. privileges for months at a time. Tends to keep them pretty well in line.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:21 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
I'm against all corporal punishments but doing it in public? Just why?

Old 12-10-2018, 02:25 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
If the behavior of the child is such that it would warrant punishment in public, the only "hit" would be a result of me telling the child we are now leaving whatever public place where the behavior is happening, the child refusing, and me picking the child up and carrying them away from the public place.

No spanking required, and the followup to the event would be a moratorium on that child being in public with me for a very long time. I know I would do things this way because I have done things this way. I have no trouble, as in none whatsoever, with forcibly removing an unruly child from a public place. I will and have walked out on dinners, movies, day at amusement park, etc...all in an effort to make sure my threats are never idle and always carried out. Most kids get the message after 2-3 such events and the subsequent loss of fun at home for a week or so, and they really get the message after a few "leaving you here with sitter because you act rotten in public" events specifically engineered to make them spend some time pondering why exactly they got left out.

Spanking is largely unnecessary for virtually any situation, and is typically a last resort of people who issue idle threats and never back up all the prior "or else" promises.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:36 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
I find that most people that got spanked as children end up turning out to be better adults. Why? Because they are given rules of life and they understand the consequences of you act up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies