Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Actually there are primarily Islamic countries in Africa and the middle east. They abhor and forbid prostitution, and gay marriage: they even have death penalties for promiscuous behaviors.

I am very glad you don't believe in "The Koran" literally. We wouldn't want you to send your Muslim death squads after gays and lesbians.

P.S. you do not sound like a Muslim. You sound like an atheist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
First of let me start of by saying I am Muslim guy. When I tell a stranger I am Muslim often enough they have tons of misconceptions. Then there are people I know and I tell them I am Muslim. They are usually surprised since I don't seem like the Muslims they have in their mind. Here is a short list of what I have seen:

1.) Americans think all Muslim are foreigners and they have a foreign home country to go back to. But I was born in US and only have US citizenship, I definitely don't have another country to go back to! I know a lot Muslim in younger generation are in similar situation as me.

2.) For some reason Muslims immediately associated as fundamentalist. But I know a lot of Muslims, like me, who aren't religious. For example, I would never take the Koran literally or say it is 100% right. I will admit there are lot of stupid things written in Koran when I read it last long time ago!

3.) Many westerners expect Muslim women to wear Hijab or Burka. No women in my immediate family or friends wear anything to cover their heads. Often some people are surprised to hear they are Muslim.

4.) A lot of Americans things all Muslim are extremely socially conservative. I most defintely am not. I am all for Gay Marriage, legalization of illegal drugs and prostitution!

I seriously do thing people then lump all these different people, like Muslim, into one big category. They really need to realize not all Muslims are alike!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
First of let me start of by saying I am Muslim guy. When I tell a stranger I am Muslim often enough they have tons of misconceptions. Then there are people I know and I tell them I am Muslim. They are usually surprised since I don't seem like the Muslims they have in their mind. Here is a short list of what I have seen:

1.) Americans think all Muslim are foreigners and they have a foreign home country to go back to. But I was born in US and only have US citizenship, I definitely don't have another country to go back to! I know a lot Muslim in younger generation are in similar situation as me.

2.) For some reason Muslims immediately associated as fundamentalist. But I know a lot of Muslims, like me, who aren't religious. For example, I would never take the Koran literally or say it is 100% right. I will admit there are lot of stupid things written in Koran when I read it last long time ago!

3.) Many westerners expect Muslim women to wear Hijab or Burka. No women in my immediate family or friends wear anything to cover their heads. Often some people are surprised to hear they are Muslim.

4.) A lot of Americans things all Muslim are extremely socially conservative. I most defintely am not. I am all for Gay Marriage, legalization of illegal drugs and prostitution!

I seriously do thing people then lump all these different people, like Muslim, into one big category. They really need to realize not all Muslims are alike!
I guess your own people have placed a stigma on your entire religion.

Once muslims break the cycle of violence toward each other and become more welcoming and open to other people, I guess that will change.

Maybe if you don't start a thread calling people "dumb", it may help as well.

As far as I'm concerned, I know many muslims, but I don't trust any of them.

Call me a cynic. Call me a racist. Call me a bigot.

YOU and your fellow muslims owe it to ME to prove that you're trustworthy.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
[quote=ditchlights;19393244]
Quote:

Then you are not a Muslim. There are tons of people who claim they are "Christian" as well that don't live the Christian lifestyle. Just because you were raised a certain way does not mean that you have a right to retain the title if you don't practice what the belief entails. Most dedicated Muslims would consider you an apostate and an infidel.

Once again. You are not a "Muslim". You are an infidel just like the rest of us, and ANY true muslim would condemn your lifestyle.

Once again, you are NOT a Muslim. You seem to want to retain the title even though you go against what they believe is the right way. You can't be serious. I call troll on this one.
If the OP is being sincere and truthful, then you don't get to make the call and be the judge of who can call themselves a Muslim. or not... There are plenty of people who personally could consider themselves Christians and Jews who feel the same way.

Last edited by Deezus; 06-01-2011 at 05:15 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 05:13 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
And all this means is that organized religions to most people is an a-la-carte proposition. They pick and choose what to practice and what not to practice. Which to me says if you're going to be a half way Muslim, or Christian what's the point of practicing a religion at all. Go by the book. That's what the intent of religion is anyhow, it's control.

If the original intent of religion is to follow the book then don't select which bits that are palatable to you and discard the rest, eat it all, or, don't eat it at all.

Armchair Muslims, Armchair Christians etc. Hypocrites all.
No armchair Muslims and Christians and Jews are the best kind... It's the extremist by-the-book a-holes following the words of some ancient scholars line-by-line from thousands of years ago that cause problems.

We should actually be encouraging such half-hearted behavior... It's the young Muslims like the ones I met in Syria who cheated to get through Ramadan or the Moroccans who drank beer and went to bars to pickup women who are the hopeful future of the Middle East. Yet if you ask them what they are, they'd say they are purely Muslim. Things like this go on and eventually religion becomes just a cultural touchstone to attend a few festivals a year or occasionally go to church or mosque or synagogue and not some sort of insane compulsion to follow some imaginary deity.

And then your country basically becomes like Italy or Spain, where religion is just part of the cultural fabric, but not seriously followed by many. It's like my Polish Catholic relatives who break half the Ten Commandments but always make it to mass on Christmas Eve and Easter.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:18 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
A lot of dumb Americans have negative misconpection when I say I am Muslim!
Why do you think only dumb Americans have misconceptions when you say you're a Muslim?
Why are you so surprised at all? Your Muslim brothers have been contributing to those misconceptions for years.

By the way do you think you might have some kind of negative misconceptions yourself? If you do, does it make you a dumb American?

Last edited by Kirdik; 06-01-2011 at 05:36 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,607 times
Quote:

Watching the Twin Towers go down in the name of Allah was to much for me to take . I am not stupid , Muslims have been here for years before you were born .
Your insults just add you to the list of Muslims I could do without . The "new" Black Panthers don't help your cause either .
The Muslims in Africa killing Christians is horrible , I feel I can do nothing for my fellow Christians . Lets not forget the Billion (not all) that want to kill all the Jews .
Don't blame the rest of us for your peoples bad public relations . Your brothers earned it for all of you .
Your whining on a message bord tells me your just a typical American kid , to lazy to blow us all up .Loving Gays , Drugs and Hookers wow!
If you want to complain , complain to other Muslims . I have run out of be extra nice to Muslim pills.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Have you ever been on a flight from NYC to Jeddah? The drinks are flowing freely until the pilot begins the descent, and then suddenly everyone is observant again. Most amusing.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:25 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Why do you think only dumb Americans have misconceptions when you say you're a Muslim?
Why are you so surprised at all? Your Muslim brothers have been contributing to those misconceptions for years.
True.......the negative responses so many people have to Muslims is nothing more than the reaping of what has been sown by the radical jihadists. They have ruined it for the moderate Muslims and until Islam cleans its own house of its radical elements, the negative attitudes will continue.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:28 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
A lot of dumb Americans have negative misconpection when I say I am Muslim!
A ot of dumb Muslims have negative misconceptions about Americans, and these Muslims actually live in America.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:11 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I guess your own people have placed a stigma on your entire religion.

Once muslims break the cycle of violence toward each other and become more welcoming and open to other people, I guess that will change.

Maybe if you don't start a thread calling people "dumb", it may help as well.

As far as I'm concerned, I know many muslims, but I don't trust any of them.

Call me a cynic. Call me a racist. Call me a bigot.

YOU and your fellow muslims owe it to ME to prove that you're trustworthy.
The people are dumb for believing misconceptions. You are dumb for your sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies