Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 03:01 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I think they should take it even further and insist on birth control for all welfare recipients. If you can't afford the kids you have, then you can't have any more.
Really? did your parents "plan" you as well? I'm sure they had about $200.000 dollars stashed away in a bank account and then decided to have you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 03:03 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
[quote=SourD;19396396]You mean like Obamacare?[/QUOT

Exactly like Obamacare!

Old 06-01-2011, 03:05 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Your disqualification is not based on personal choices but on circumstances. Whether they could do it randomly or not is immaterial. THIS is big government at work, and you're supporting it.
I personally choose to make enough not to qualify. A personal choice of breaking the law has consequences such as no longer qualifying.

The point about randomly testing the population versus in response to an application is certainly not immaterial; in fact, it's the key point.

Big government is the widespread use of welfare. This is an apparatus for the existing big government to set some limits on its abuse - not sure how effective it will be though.

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I think everyone should be drug tested and their fertility monitored just to be able to live amongst us...

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The founding fathers would never have had this issue. They knew that food stamps is not a legitimate role of government.
They also wanted privacy and government BUTTING OUT OF people's personal business.

If anyone is to be drug tested, and I'm all for it, let the politicians be the first ones to pee in the cup or get stuck in the arm!

Old 06-01-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Really? Let us read it:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Unless of course you're the TSA and then they can search you whenever they darn well please.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
From what I got from family in Florida, there seems to be as much discussion about Rick Scott possibly enriching himself through this law then the actual testing.

It seems when he ran for office, he put a lot of his assets in a trust under his wife's name. And one of the primary businesses in that trust is drug testing. Bottom line is if this increases business for any company within a trust in his family, he is making money off his political office. May be a reason he is around what...24% approval rating?
If you'd read the whole story you would have seen the following:

"In April, Scott, who had transferred his ownership interest in Solantic Corp. to a trust in his wife's name, said the company would not contract for state business, according to local media reports. He subsequently sold his majority stake in the company, local media reported."

Old 06-01-2011, 03:21 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I personally choose to make enough not to qualify. A personal choice of breaking the law has consequences such as no longer qualifying.

The point about randomly testing the population versus in response to an application is certainly not immaterial; in fact, it's the key point.

Big government is the widespread use of welfare. This is an apparatus for the existing big government to set some limits on its abuse - not sure how effective it will be though.
Again, government is not supposed to be running a business that it can deny you the service for not allowing it to intrude into your personal choices. It shouldn't treat you as a criminal by default, guilty unless proven otherwise. This is police state at work.

When you disqualify for welfare, say UI, you don't have to go proving that you do or do not carry a gun, or follow a religion or smoke a cigarette, or drink alcohol or abuse drugs. You just have to be unemployed.

The government shouldn't be about controlling people's habits. If anything, we shouldn't have those stupid drug laws, much less make more laws on drug testing. But hey, Solantic has to make a few bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Really? did your parents "plan" you as well? I'm sure they had about $200.000 dollars stashed away in a bank account and then decided to have you!
You missed the sarcasm in her post.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Personally I would like to see all elected officials given drug tests not just people on welfare.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:25 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
This is actually really smart!
This needs to go on a federal level, and after that we need to crackdown on "DISABLED" people. So so SO many people claim they can't work..and it's BS.

There's this door greater at Walmart around here. She is in a wheelchair, her head is tilted --I don't know what exactly is wrong with her -- but she's there ALL the time. Sure, she's making crap wages.. but it's money. If she's on gov't support to help her out for the rest of her needs, I fully support my tax money for this chick because she is TRYING.

Oh, I can't work. I get dizzy once in a while. -faints-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies