Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times

Advertisements

How much will all this testing cost the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Since part of the reason they would need welfare is because they can't hold a job because they're an addict, I don't have a problem with that. Seems counterproductive to give welfare to drug addicts.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
To test randomly, I agree with you. To test as a condition for handing someone money they applied to get, is a different issue.

What part of the Patriot Act?
Government service is a service, it ain't a charity. As for the Patriot Act, all of it, the general concept of, and of course how it infringes on the fourth amendment. Perhaps I should ask, what part(s) of it do you like?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:46 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
What a great idea! Now Florida citizens who sign up for welfare will have to prove that they are not using before being allowed to collect welfare. As might be expected there is a hue and cry from the state's liberals about it being an invasion of privacy and unconstitutional. As a taxpayer in Florida or anywhere else I don't see any problem with not handing money over to citizens who are taking funds that should be going to their children and buying drugs. Why should taxpayers subsidize drug usage? If people have enough money to buy drugs then they have enough money to pay their own bills and don't need my tax money to do so.

This is a terribly narrow minded idea. Do they also screen for golf clubs and tennis rackets? After all, I don't want my tax money going to poor people who spend that money on golf or tennis.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:56 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
So you think coke-cola, pepsi, coffee, cigs, and alcohol are food stamp or welfare $$ well spent? Just because their legal? Talk about
Did I say they were?
Dont attempt to put words in my mouth.
Of course, if you would like to move to FL and personally pay for all the tests, by all means feel free to do so.
You do realize there is caffeine in many OTC pain meds, and I see you miserably failed to comment on the false positives of hand sanitizer.
What would you like to ban next?
Midol?
Theres caffeine in that, too.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
No one seems to be able to answer that, nor has the question been answered on whom will administer said tests.
In light of Scotts history, that in itself is highly suspect.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Did I say they were?
Dont attempt to put words in my mouth.
Of course, if you would like to move to FL and personally pay for all the tests, by all means do so.
What exactly where you implying then? Why exactly are you for testing? Is it to prevent frivolous spending among people on assistance? Or is it to possibly prosecute a cross section of the population?

I think regulated testing like this in any fashion is wrong; If I where in Florida, I would strongly oppose this.

Edit - I think we might be on the same page and I miss read your statement, I just re-read it all.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:00 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
No one seems to be able to answer that, nor has the question been answered on whom will administer said tests.
In light of Scotts history, that in itself is highly suspect.
I remember reading the cost to be over $20 million. And quite a chunk of it should make it to businesses like Solantice that Rick Scott had co-founded, which will be administering these tests.

This is government abuse of power at its best.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
What exactly where you implying then? Why exactly are you for testing? Is it to prevent frivolous spending among people on assistance? Or is it to possibly prosecute a cross section of the population?

I think regulated testing like this in any fashion is wrong; If I where in Florida, I would strongly oppose this.
I sure as hell do not wish to pay for these tests, but I have the feeling we will be.
ETA: Yes, we are on the same page on this!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
IIRC, drug tests done for private businesses are less than $50, I think closer to $25. Run the program for 6 months or so and see the results. Does eliminating welfare payments to inelligable people (drug users) save more than the cost of testing. Shouldn't be that hard to do the math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies