Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:41 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Valid points, but it doesn't solely hinge on stereotypes. For example, a study of Human Resources departments determined that job applicants (of any race or ethnicity) with names hard to pronounce were routinely overlooked for positions they were otherwise qualified for. The reason? Human nature....the person making the phone call feared mispronouncing the name and thus casting a bad image on the company. Simple huh? And nothing to do with race.

People like Lucario believe it's a racist issue that is matched up with the Big Bad White Machine. That's how I know he hasn't read the studies that he claims to have read "extensively." The issue is far deeper than race, stereotypes, and even culture.

It just so happens that Black American's have a propensity to name their children in ways that are not necessarily beneficial to those children. I pointed that out, and all of a sudden it's a "racial" thing that obviously struck a nerve with him. That ignorance of the topic is exactly why I refuse to conversate with him any further on this issue.
Hm, with Antwun spelling might play a role, yes.
But often spelling doesn't play a role. In the ranking I mentioned for example the name Hannah ranked as the most beneficial, which is odd as it is more difficult to spell than traditional names such as Maria or Petra, which both ranked much worse. Same with boys' names, the good old Peter ranked third last.

I have noticed that some blacks use alternative spelling, I think they simply want to be different from the white mainstream Like Erykah Badu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 01:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Please remember I am one of the very leftist liberals around here and I think this sentence was totally unjustified. It was not a cold blooded premeditated murder. It was a killing done in a rage. Rage can eliminate anything but the overwhelming need to kill the thing or person that triggered the rage.

I really wonder if the pharmacist was sane when he went to get another gun. I think, if he has a decent attorney, this might be grounds for an appeal.
If the unconcious teenager on the floor was still alive when the fatal shot was fired it seems to be homicide to me

Old 07-11-2011, 01:52 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not to be a legalist fundamentalist, but a defendant doesn't plead anything other than guilty or not guilty. It is true that the defense could have argued that it was a case of voluntary manslaughter, and depending on the judge's instructions to the jury could have made that possible. Apparently, no one was buying that argument, and frankly even as a gun owner who believes in the right of using deadly force to eliminate an eminent threat, I wouldn't have bought the argument either.
You're right, I meant that he could have probably reached a plea agreement for voluntary manslaughter relatively easily.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ya think this is complex a case as any cited above? I think not.

PS - so much for the fit of rage argument.

YouTube - ‪Raw Video: Pharmacist Kills Would-be Teen Robber‬‏
Holy cannoli...if two guys like that came in on me waving a gun, I would have crapped my pants.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:55 PM

419 posts, read 365,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Holy cannoli...if two guys like that came in on me waving a gun, I would have crapped my pants.
I am with you. I would have shot and then instantly died of a heart attack. NO way I could have went and reloaded and then shot the kid again. No Way.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,708 times
I don't have much of a problem with this. If he had simply stopped after the first shot, he would have been a hero. No reason to continue.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:02 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
I know people don't like to hear it, but the problem (apart from the societal issues) is that almost anyone in the US can have a gun. I wouldn't want to work at a shop when anyone coming in the door could be a potential robber armed with a deadly weapon. I would hate to get up and go to work in the morning.

I wonder what would happen if cash were abolished I guess that would eliminate 95% of all such robberies.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:09 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,186 times
The killer was fine until he killed the man in cold blood. Not sure if I agree with the sentence but at least he did not walk.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 PM

146 posts, read 399,404 times
The prosecutor David Prater needs a foot up his ass, as does the judge. Since when is ridding the World of a scumbag in self defense a crime?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:02 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I know people don't like to hear it, but the problem (apart from the societal issues) is that almost anyone in the US can have a gun. I wouldn't want to work at a shop when anyone coming in the door could be a potential robber armed with a deadly weapon. I would hate to get up and go to work in the morning.

I wonder what would happen if cash were abolished I guess that would eliminate 95% of all such robberies.
I'm sure that robber didn't get his gun legally. Guns are very easy to get illegally in North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies