Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 06:48 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Exactly right, Andrea. I think some on this thread are starting to believe their own press notices when they seemingly do not get the point by thinking that their "rights" are being violated when some choose to pray in a spontaneous manner.

In fact, I would encourage Christians all over the country to -- if we damn well please -- to say a spontaneous prayer (The Lord's Prayer is perfect for the occasion!) in place of an officially lead one. This does not violate any "seperation" clause, and we are pefectly free to do so. If some of the perpetually "offended" don't like it? Tough sh*t. They can leave and/or not participate or whatever suits their fancy...

I want to add I am honestly not trying to be obnoxious here. Nor shove anything in anyones face. I truly do not want to offend anyone. It is just I am sick and tired of seeing federal courts demand Christian Americans bend to satisfy every disgruntled soul who claims to be "offended" when they hear a prayer. And that "we" take it. Well, to hell with that. It is high time we Christians stood up for our rights as tax payers and Americans as well.

Let's say our prayers aloud and spontaneously, and dare anybody to stop us. If the courts should go so far as to rule THAT a violation? Then let's keep doing it anyway and force them to call in federal authorities to prevent it.

Ok...ok...I am thru ranting and raving and outta here for the night. Y'all have a good one evening.
My solution would be to wait until the student that filed the lawsuit had his name announced. Then I would quietly get up and cover my mouth with tape.

Do you libs even know how frightening this is? We are a free country, which means taking the bad along with the good.

That's alright. We'll just wait until 2012 when we have the WH and House, and can then ban all gay rights events. You know, because one person is offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 06:52 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdee View Post
As a former christian, I was glad to see this. I realize that not everyone agrees with the judge's decision, but I give kudos to him.
No such thing as a "former Christian". Sorry to nitpick.

Can anyone tell me what religion this was endorsing? I don't see it.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:56 AM

766 posts, read 1,394,353 times
For all you devout Christians out there, NOBODY is trying to "take away" your right to be a Christian. You can do whatever you like in the PRIVACY OF YOUR LIFE!

If you want to live in the privacy of your home naked, then go right ahead. Just don't go naked in Public!

You want to pray in the privacy of your home or private church, then go right ahead. Just don't expect the general public to tolerate it.

If we were really trying to take away your Christian rights, then it would be against the law to be a Christian. Period.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
My solution would be to wait until the student that filed the lawsuit had his name announced. Then I would quietly get up and cover my mouth with tape.

Do you libs even know how frightening this is? We are a free country, which means taking the bad along with the good.

That's alright. We'll just wait until 2012 when we have the WH and House, and can then ban all gay rights events. You know, because one person is offended.
I guess that sentiment goes both ways...

FYI...You can ban any events you like, that doesnt change the fact the the US supreme court has ruled that school sanctioned prayer at school graduations is unconstitutional.

Note: School sanctioned, student led, at school functions... NOT prayer before, durring, or after the ceremony...in a group or to one's self.

Instead of covering your mouth, why wouldn't you[while in your seat] pray for the kid...thats neither unconstitution, nor non-christian.

Last edited by 1751texan; 06-03-2011 at 07:09 AM..

Old 06-03-2011, 07:03 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I guess that sentiment goes both ways...

FYI...You can ban any events you like, that doesnt change the fact the the US supreme court has ruled that school sanctioned prayer at school graduations is unconstitutional.
And when the left starts adhering to that, the right will too. Until then, game on.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:07 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
We have come to a disgusting place in our society when members of a school graduating class wish to thank God and are threatened with jail. Welcome to the United Soviet States of Amerika. The pan-Lenninists are winning.

We are supposed to be guaranteed freedom of religion, not freedom from. It is not as though a state religion has been imposed. Get real people!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
For all you devout Christians out there, NOBODY is trying to "take away" your right to be a Christian. You can do whatever you like in the PRIVACY OF YOUR LIFE!

If you want to live in the privacy of your home naked, then go right ahead. Just don't go naked in Public!

You want to pray in the privacy of your home or private church, then go right ahead. Just don't expect the general public to tolerate it.

If we were really trying to take away your Christian rights, then it would be against the law to be a Christian. Period.
Can you actually point out what took place that was illegal? What law was violated as a result of praying?

Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It's not a violation if the team (or people in the stands) wants to pray. If they don't want to pray, they don't have to.

You're still missing my point.
It depends. Certainly people in the stands who want to pray can do so. The facility management itself, if it is not a state-owned facility, can even prompt it.

I am not missing your point because you don't have one - you don't understand where the lines are drawn between Establishment and Free Exercise.

It's all about the existence, or not, of a "governmental nexus." In most cases the players deciding ON THEIR OWN to pray wouldn't create such a nexus, but every case turns on its facts. If they were, for example, encouraged or coerced or influenced to do so by a coach on the State's payroll...that would be a problem.

It's not nearly as black and white or simple as you seem to think it is.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
No such thing as a "former Christian". Sorry to nitpick.
Only Calvinists believe this. Catholics, Arminians and other Christian sects recognize that someone can fall out of grace through apostasy (or in the case of Catholics, "pay as you go" LOL). We don't buy that "once saved always saved" stuff.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
We have come to a disgusting place in our society when members of a school graduating class wish to thank God and are threatened with jail.
COMPLETE nonsense. It would be the school officials facing monetary damages, not jail.

You just made this crap up, or else heard it from someone who did.

Quote:
Welcome to the United Soviet States of Amerika. The pan-Lenninists are winning.
More like the pro-Jeffersonians and Adamses.... This idea predates Communism, or didn't you know that?

Quote:
We are supposed to be guaranteed freedom of religion, not freedom from.
A distinction without a difference, and you are utterly wrong anyway. We have both guaranteed by the Constitution.

Quote:
It is not as though a state religion has been imposed. Get real people!
Take it up with the SCOTUS. Anyone that reads just the language of the Constitution and nothing more and feels qualified to comment on Constitutional law is a fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies