Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:35 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times

Advertisements

Get rid of public education and problem is solved. In fact, for Texas it would get rid of a lot of headaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Get rid of public education and problem is solved. In fact, for Texas it would get rid of a lot of headaches.

Because a redistributed problem = a solution?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:50 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
THIS is what is really getting out of hand:
Irving ISD to stop using church for graduation | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

This is only one of a few instances across the nation in the last few years where schools have been taken to task for holding their graduations at a church as those have been the only suitable venue to house such events for those areas. The building is actually just that, a building. The "church" is really the people that believe in that faith. The schools have had to find suitable venues to house the number of graduates AND their families to attend (some want upwards of 20+ tickets for extended family) that is available within a close range and for the dates that everyone in the area is needing such as well. I'd be willing to bet that the ones that do get all up in arms over the graduation ceremony being held in a church building are the same ones that would vote "NO" if the school district proposed a bond package to build an events center that would be suitable for their area schools graduations. I guess they could always hold the graduations at their football stadiums OUTSIDE in June in Texas in the heat and/or rain. Then again, the same complainers would still be complaining.

Just goggle the subject...... numerous instances of school districts being sued because the only suitable venue to house a graduation is a church building. A church service is not going on during the graduation ceremony and no one is forced to do anything other than walk in the door, listen to all of the typical speakers at a high school graduation (principal or administrator, some local celeb or politician and the validictorian) march across the stage when their name is called, get a piece of paper and sit back down. They are not made to kneel at an alter, light any kind of candle, partake in any kind of communion or anything else that would go on inside that building if it were having a worship service.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:04 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Why are we constantly bending to satisfy every "offended" soul who declares themselves such?

There was a point in time I might have sympathized a bit with those who objected to prayers at football games or whatever, but the more time went on the more I see it for what it really is. That is, a sect out there who want to ban every Christian symbol. Not so much it really offends them, but because they just have a deep-seated hatred of Chrisitanity. The Pledge of Alligience is next, and so is the "In God We Trust".

Here is what Christians should do at football games and/or classrooms and/or whatever, is pray anyway. Start a spontaneous recitation of The Lord's Prayer. Those who don't like it can leave the bleachers or not participate.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 PM
k_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Why are we constantly bending to satisfy every "offended" soul who declares themselves such?

There was a point in time I might have sympathized a bit with those who objected to prayers at football games or whatever, but the more time went on the more I see it for what it really is. That is, a sect out there who want to ban every Christian symbol. Not so much it really offends them, but because they just have a deep-seated hatred of Chrisitanity. The Pledge of Alligience is next, and so is the "In God We Trust".

Here is what Christians should do at football games and/or classrooms and/or whatever, is pray anyway. Start a spontaneous recitation of The Lord's Prayer. Those who don't like it can leave the bleachers or not participate.
1. This is very backwards thinking.

2. There is no problem with a group celebrating its faith on its own time and among its followers. It's not OK when it's a mandate.

Playing devil's advocate, but what is the purpose of praying at a game? Can't the argument be made that those who WANT to pray can go elsewhere to do so?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_s View Post

Because a redistributed problem = a solution?
Granted if you take what we have now and simply redistribute it, instead of the one big problem we now have, you have a lot of small problems.

First take the Feds entirely out of education, then in the case of Texas, remove Austin. Give education back to the counties and municipalities. That allows for true diversity of thought.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:24 PM
k_s

^^^ Oh, OK. Understood.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:31 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
=k_s;19407543]1. This is very backwards thinking.
LOL It is? By whose standards is it backwards? Yours? What if I think your way of thinking is backwards? Hmmmm...? What are your intellectual credentials to issue such an edict?

Quote:
2. There is no problem with a group celebrating its faith on its own time and among its followers. It's not OK when it's a mandate.
Where is it mandated to pray? You, me, or, anyone else, are free not to participate in a voluntary ritual of prayer that has been a community tradition for years.

Quote:
Playing devil's advocate, but what is the purpose of praying at a game? Can't the argument be made that those who WANT to pray can go elsewhere to do so?
Playing the other devils advocate...what is the purpose of forbidding it? Can't those who don't want to participate in it just not participate in it? Anyway, as it is, I just said that Christians should say the Lords Prayer in a spontaneous recitation. It would not be lead by an "official", it would just be Christians saying it.

Why would anyone have a problem with that?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:32 PM

55 posts, read 155,475 times
Quote:

My "deep-seated hatred of christianity" was encouraged by those who feel the need to come up to me randomly in a public place and preach to me about "hell", without even knowing my name or anything about me.
What's to like about that, or anyone associated with that behavior? Granted, not everyone is like that, but there are a few bad apples who ruin it for everyone.

I am glad that this judge ruled this way, as not everyone is a christian. The majority may be, but I think this decision is the best one to make the day enjoyable for everyone involved.

If people want prayer in school, then they should send their children to a christian school. Problem solved.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
k_s

Quote:
LOL It is? By whose standards is it backwards? Yours? What if I think your way of thinking is backwards? Hmmmm...? What are your intellectual credentials to issue such an edict?
"Who cares what the ruling was? Let's do x, y, and z anyway" isn't exactly progressive.

Quote:
Where is it mandated to pray? You, me, or, anyone else, are free not to participate in a voluntary ritual of prayer that has been a community tradition for years.
If the students don't have the option to opt out of hearing a prayer, then it is being forced upon them. And, as I'm sure you're aware, long-standing traditions aren't necessarily GOOD traditions.

Quote:
Playing the other devils advocate...what is the purpose of forbidding it? Can't those who don't want to participate in it just not participate in it? Anyway, as it is, I just said that Christians should say the Lords Prayer in a spontaneous recitation. It would not be lead by an "official", it would just be Christians saying it.

Why would anyone have a problem with that?
Moving away from the larger issue and commenting specifically on the football topic -- that would be a non-issue. If a group of Christians want to say a prayer within their group, they have every right to do so. I would think that God would have more important things to worry about that a high school football game, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdee View Post
My "deep-seated hatred of christianity" was encouraged by those who feel the need to come up to me randomly in a public place and preach to me about "hell", without even knowing my name or anything about me.
What's to like about that, or anyone associated with that behavior? Granted, not everyone is like that, but there are a few bad apples who ruin it for everyone.

I am glad that this judge ruled this way, as not everyone is a christian. The majority may be, but I think this decision is the best one to make the day enjoyable for everyone involved.

If people want prayer in school, then they should send their children to a christian school. Problem solved.
I agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies