Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Rhetoric? No, it's the truth and YOU didn't deny it ...

Yes, the left is tolerant....tolerently let megabuck churches(the ONLY reason for their existence) to escape their PUBLIC duty to pay TAXES..

Pay taxes= pray in public venues

SUCK irresponsibly off the public tit= do NOT pray in public venues.

Oh, BTW, if you claim YOU can speak to your god on the phone...counseling may be needed....

Atheists have nothing???? Maybe we aren't so WEAK we need to make something up......
A lot of words, but you can't prove diddly squat. FACT!!! You can't prove whether there IS or IS NOT a God. Like previously stated,...it is a matter of faith.

That said, you're no better than those you attack. You would impose your beliefs (or lack thereof) on others in a heartbeat,...if you could.

And IF you had read my post before going on your little rant, you might have noticed that my beliefs were not mentioned.

Just shedding a little light on your drumbeating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 09:51 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_s View Post
Thank you. I've said this quite a few times in this thread.

Many of those on here who say "just get over it" would be raising hell if they were members of a religious minority.
As an atheist I fall into that "religious minority" category to which you refer, and you need to "just get over it."

A student speaking on behalf of themselves is not establishing a national religion, regardless of what they say. Nor is any school, or any government official, endorsing anything any student may say. If the President, or any other politician, can make references to a divine being without violating the Establishment Clause, then you look pretty damn silly saying a graduating student cannot give a similar speech.

There are various forms of speech that are illegal, such as inciting to riot and defamation. As long as the student is not engaging in an illegal form of speech, they have the right to say anything they please.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Well it got overturned. Filed by an agnostic, not atheist.
And it wasn't exactly against prayer..it was against 2 words.
This lawsuit was filed against the PERCEPTION of prayer, not any actual prayer.

Texas graduation prayer ban lifted - World - Canoe.ca (http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2011/06/04/18237736.html - broken link)
"The ruling said that the school could not use the words "invocation" and "benediction" at graduation because doing so would make it sound like the school is "sponsoring a religion.

The appeals court ruled that the order restrained the free speech rights of the students, who "are in fact not school-sponsored." The court also noted that the school had already changed the name of the invocation and benediction."

Old 06-04-2011, 10:32 AM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As an atheist I fall into that "religious minority" category to which you refer, and you need to "just get over it."

A student speaking on behalf of themselves is not establishing a national religion, regardless of what they say. Nor is any school, or any government official, endorsing anything any student may say. If the President, or any other politician, can make references to a divine being without violating the Establishment Clause, then you look pretty damn silly saying a graduating student cannot give a similar speech.

There are various forms of speech that are illegal, such as inciting to riot and defamation. As long as the student is not engaging in an illegal form of speech, they have the right to say anything they please.
If you're going to respond to me, you need to read my posts.

My issue is with sanctioned "opening prayers" at non-religious functions. I've stated multiple times that someone praying on his/her own is that person's right.

I also have an issue with the fact that people will say that others should shut up and take it when someone decides to slip into religion at non-religious events, knowing full well they'd cause an uproar if said religion was different from their own.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 AM

For some, atheism is so strong that it IS a religion.

Religion is nothing more than a belief system.
Atheism, at the extreme, is a religion.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
If you're going to respond to me, you need to read my posts.

My issue is with sanctioned "opening prayers" at non-religious functions. I've stated multiple times that someone praying on his/her own is that person's right.

I also have an issue with the fact that people will say that others should shut up and take it when someone decides to slip into religion at non-religious events, knowing full well they'd cause an uproar if said religion was different from their own.
But it is okay for Presidents and other politicians to evoke their religious beliefs? Apparently you just have a problem with children expressing their religious point of view. Nobody said you had to agree with what they say, I certainly do not, but you cannot deny that they have the right to say whatever they please.

The only "uproar" it would cause would be among those morons who are vehemently opposed to free speech. Namely, the liberal freaks. Conservatives, be they Christian, atheist, agnostic, Hindu, Jewish, or Muslim, would have absolutely no problem with anyone speaking their mind, even when they disagree with whatever might be said.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:51 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
I got your point. It was a bad one.
Opinions are like a..holes. Every body has one. You are entitled to yours and I am entitled to mine.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
But it is okay for Presidents and other politicians to evoke their religious beliefs? Apparently you just have a problem with children expressing their religious point of view. Nobody said you had to agree with what they say, I certainly do not, but you cannot deny that they have the right to say whatever they please.

The only "uproar" it would cause would be among those morons who are vehemently opposed to free speech. Namely, the liberal freaks. Conservatives, be they Christian, atheist, agnostic, Hindu, Jewish, or Muslim, would have absolutely no problem with anyone speaking their mind, even when they disagree with whatever might be said.
"Got to spread the rep" before I give it to you Glitch.
Well said.

Folks who truly believe in free speech will uphold a person's right to say it even though they don't agree with the content of that speech.
Silencing what a person wants to say because YOU don't like it and use the court system to get your way is your abuse of our laws for your own selfish reasons.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 AM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,461 times
Quote:

Uh...yea, ok.

Apparently, you STILL haven't taken the time to read what I've posted.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
For some, atheism is so strong that it IS a religion.

Religion is nothing more than a belief system.
Atheism, at the extreme, is a religion.
There are two types of atheists.
  • Those who do not have a religious "belief system;" and
  • The Anti-Theists, or those who are strongly opposed to all religions.
I fall into the first category of atheists. I have no animosity toward any religion. As long as I have the freedom to believe what I want, I will defend the right of others to believe what they want. Government has no business infringing upon that freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies