Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:43 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yeah, man tends to evolve and realize/solve problems. Remember how filthy autos were back in the 60's and 70's.

This toxic form of litter is a huge problem, this filth gets into the water systems.
Of course it does...along with the rest of our wastes and chemicals, our detergents, our cleaning chemicals, our drugs, our miscellaneous toxins. Take your pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
The Cuyahoga River only caught fire because of all the cigarette butts no doubt.

I don't think DDT was killing off bird populations... it was probably the butts.

I also have reason to believe that AIDS and mad cow disease are directly related to cigarette butts.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The person who threw down their cigarette butt was the a-hole. And, yes, they dropped something and I felt it needed to be returned. And, yes, it was a little lady. She was young, but she was a little lady.

I applaud your use of an Arizona can, though I have no idea how that is differentiated from any other can. Why so angry? You're doing the right thing by not throwing your butt out the window.
You are an obnoxious little twit. I hope somebody sues you for the burn in their carpet, or worse, that you cause with your self-righteous behavior. If the butt disturbs you so much, pick it up and dispose of it. Do your part, greenie! If everybody quit smoking, you'd find somethin else to nag folks about. I only hope you are single.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
I mentioned a park with several ponds where I enjoy walking, but was disturbed by the litter, left mostly from the people fishing. I started carrying a bag with me to clean up after them. Finally, I decided to make a sign at the entrance of the park, saying PLEASE DON'T LITTER.
I was amazed to see littering reduced to almost nothing, with this simple reminder.

Last edited by claudhopper; 06-02-2011 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You are an obnoxious little twit. I hope somebody sues you for the burn in their carpet, or worse, that you cause with your self-righteous behavior. If the butt disturbs you so much, pick it up and dispose of it. Do your part, greenie! If everybody quit smoking, you'd find somethin else to nag folks about. I only hope you are single.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
well when you start getting all hardcore eco-freak about all other forms of litter, maybe I'll take your condemnation seriously. fact of the matter is littering cigarette butts is illegal in many places... take it up with law enforcement.

As for it being my responsibility, maybe so, but if you don't give me any trash cans to throw **** away in then chances are I'm not gonna throw it away. What if your municipality got rid of recycling collection services and you had to drive 15 miles to a waste transfer facility to recycle? Would you do it or would you just throw it in the trash? Be honest

e: an airtight portable ashtray would work too. I bought a portable ashtray once and never used it after the first time because it didn't contain the odor of extinguished cigarette.
Well, it is YOUR litter, but what you are saying is you are too lazy to responsibly dispose of it.

I hate all forms of litter, just happens that filthy ciggy butts are the most common form of litter IN THE WORLD.......pathetic.

There is a big difference between NOT RECYCLING and throwing your litter all over the ground.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This is one reason people push for laws against smoking in certain open areas even though it seems to go agaist peoples idea of "freedom".
I agree with your post so much. Go to any outdoor mall and a nonsmoker cannot sit down for 2 minutes without having to breathe the filth of cigarette smoke.

I live in San Diego.........go out to get coffee and sit outside........no way......I would be choking on the filth.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I

I walk a lot......some areas have literally thousands of butts everywhere. Some areas look so bad due to the filthy butts EVERYWHERE. And this stuff gets into the water systems......man.....pretty sad.

How about a recycling tax, say 10 cents a cigarette, you get the money back when you turn in your butts at a recycling center.

Then follow that with a water bottle recycling tax... maybe $1 per bottle since they are a lot bigger than cigarette butts. Water bottle litter is ubiquitous.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
There are so many of these threads about the evils of those evil smokers. Not all smokers litter, some are actually considerate about the disposal of the butts. Also, many nonsmokers are just as bad about littering. I knew a vehement nonsmoker who would take bags of trash from her car and and empty bottles and place them on the ground next to wastebaskets-and laugh.

Drove along 94 in Detroit the other day...sides of freeway just covered with paper and plastic bags, cups, etc. Trash everywhere. Don't act like cigarettes are the only form of litter out there please.

It also seems like you see the cigarette butts...everywhere...because they don't really decompose.

I agree with you about litter in general, it is pathetic. Don't people realize what a blight on society litter is? I am not a big community activist......but, come on, we have to have some sense of community, respect for the earth.

But, the worst has to be cigarette butts, truly gross in my opinion, and toxic....many of them get into the water.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Of course it does...along with the rest of our wastes and chemicals, our detergents, our cleaning chemicals, our drugs, our miscellaneous toxins. Take your pick.
So your logic is.......there are other pollution problems besides butts.............so............we should not take care of ANY of them...............wow.............GREAT LOGIC.

How about we take care of this one with a deposit tax of 10 cents per ciggy.......you get the deposit back when you recycle your filthy butts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies