Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Discrimination.
Smokers aren't a protected class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 11:36 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Smokers aren't a protected class.
i'd like to see the hospital discriminate against gay men, because the HR views their lifestyle choices as inappropriate, or because of the increased risk of acquiring VD or HIV. At least catching VD or AIDS would impact their job as part of the hospital staff, no one can catch nicotine from a guy who smoked a cigar the night before.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
i'd like to see the hospital discriminate against gay men, because the HR views their lifestyle choices as inappropriate, or because of the increased risk of acquiring VD or HIV. At least catching VD or AIDS would impact their job as part of the hospital staff, no one can catch nicotine from a guy who smoked a cigar the night before.

Why stop there? Why not tell their employees that as long as they are employed with the hospital, no sex at all?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Perfectly legal. A local Police department in So Calif has had that rule for years. Even people currently employed will be fired if they smoke, even if it's on their own time. If they were to go on vacation and smoke a cigarrette in another country, they can be fired.
It's on the honor system, but fellow employees can and will turn you in for smoking. That has been in effect for at least ten years..!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
These smoking Nazis have finally gone off the deep end. In Iowa, Mercy Medical Center will test those people who apply for work there, and if they detect nicotine in their blood, they will refuse them employment.

What tyranny is this? Smoking is not illegal, especially when you smoke or chew tobacco at home. whether a person is smoking the occasional cigar, pipe, cigarette or chews tobacco should be of no concern to an employer.

What's next, refusing employment to single people who sleep around, for fear they may contract VD? Or even worse, refusing employment to gays, since they score highest on the risk factor for contracting HIV AIDS?

What comes after that, refusing people employment for being over a certain weight, or for eating too much red meat, or pork?
Employers can discriminate using any criteria that is not protected (race, sex, etc).

Employers who use these unreasonable criteria for hiring put themselves at a disadvantage since they are severely limiting the pool or workers that they can recruit from.

Our best weapon is to be sure they get a lot of negative publicity.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:43 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Why stop there? Why not tell their employees that as long as they are employed with the hospital, no sex at all?

How about people who swim... many drown. And how about joggers...lots of ankle sprains....

Etc, etc.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Perfectly legal. A local Police department in So Calif has had that rule for years. Even people currently employed will be fired if they smoke, even if it's on their own time. If they were to go on vacation and smoke a cigarrette in another country, they can be fired.
It's on the honor system, but fellow employees can and will turn you in for smoking. That has been in effect for at least ten years..!

If someone snitched on me, and caused me to lose my job or get in trouble, I'd probably be inclined to stick my size 13 shoe up their a$$! Just sayin'!

It's very rare that I would complain about someone at work. Now, you f*** me out of money, or do something that could effect my job, or put someone in iminent danger, then we have an issue. Otherwise, it's not my story to tell. I don't believe in being a tattletale, but I guess that is just how others roll! There are people out there who chomp at the bit to step on someone else if it means getting further!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
How about people who swim... many drown. And how about joggers...lots of ankle sprains....

Etc, etc.

Oops, guess I wouldn't be able to utilize my pool anymore! I don't jog. But why not. Lets also ban skydiving, amusement parks, hiking, rock climbing, hunting... anything else? Hell, let's all just lock ourselves in our house and sit in the dark in the corner and cry because oooooooh it's a dangerous world out there!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:55 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
As an employer, I should be able to hire whomever best meets my requirement's for the assigned job duties.

However, if I want to limit an entire group because of personal habit, my availiable talent pool will shrink as a result.

The alternative is government stepping in to determine who I can hire.
This is sort of the Ron Paul / private property rights issue isn't it? Do we ask for government involvement or do we boycott businesses when we don't agree with their policies?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Why not get the government / lawyers involved, and pass legislation that disallows sex? Scary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies