Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times

Advertisements

In southern illinois.

Every stop, when asked what they worry about in the future, all 3 farmers (a hog farmer, dairy farmer, and grain farmer) and the feed store guy all told me government regulations were their main worry.

For example, the feed store owner said that to store his 1000 gallons of molasses, he had to build a berm around it so it couldn't spread if it spilled. it's sugar. You can eat the stuff. But the EPA says it's dangerous. The dairy farmer actually said the same thing. Initially, because milk has fat, it was classified as an "oil" and the same law applied. It was then lifted this year before it got enforced.

The dairy farmer said they have to spend $500,000 to get compliant. He can't do that, and is only currently 80% compliant. He's hoping to get there eventually.

They all agree that government regulators are just idiotic, and don't use common sense. And there are people that think we need to put them in charge of our health care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,411,323 times
You must be some kind of wacko right-wing nutjob to think there is any problem with any of this.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Honestly..a milk spill could bring the US to a complete standstill economically.
The last thing we need now is to totally crater the frail US economy because of a "milk spill" by Elsie.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:04 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,460,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
In southern illinois.

Every stop, when asked what they worry about in the future, all 3 farmers (a hog farmer, dairy farmer, and grain farmer) and the feed store guy all told me government regulations were their main worry.

For example, the feed store owner said that to store his 1000 gallons of molasses, he had to build a berm around it so it couldn't spread if it spilled. it's sugar. You can eat the stuff. But the EPA says it's dangerous. The dairy farmer actually said the same thing. Initially, because milk has fat, it was classified as an "oil" and the same law applied. It was then lifted this year before it got enforced.

The dairy farmer said they have to spend $500,000 to get compliant. He can't do that, and is only currently 80% compliant. He's hoping to get there eventually.

They all agree that government regulators are just idiotic, and don't use common sense. And there are people that think we need to put them in charge of our health care?
No kidding and did he mention which Fortune 100 companies benefited from the business for their companies those regulations would result in?
They probably didn't think about it that deeply but they should. Behind every government "safety" or "energy conservation" regulation is a Fortune 100 company if not multiple companies AND government officials who stand to profit from it. EVERYONE needs to FOLLOW THE MONEY.

These regulations have NOTHING to do with "safety" or "conservation" or what have you and EVERYTHING to do with CONTROL of the populace and PROFITS for the elites.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
You must be some kind of wacko right-wing nutjob to think there is any problem with any of this.
I grew up in a farming town, worked for many types of areas as I was growing up. He is right, there is a lot of idiocy in the regulations from morons who know nothing about the trade, nor understand even that which they are enforcing.

Sorry, but it isn't a "political" thing as you suggest, it is an idiot versus common sense thing (and I know many democrat farmers who agree this regulatory garbage is insanely stupid run by people who have no clue).

Old 06-09-2011, 10:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I used to live in Illinois ag country. The farmers were always complaing, even 40 years ago. It's part of their way of life. I learned to ignore it.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I grew up in a farming town, worked for many types of areas as I was growing up. He is right, there is a lot of idiocy in the regulations from morons who know nothing about the trade, nor understand even that which they are enforcing.

Sorry, but it isn't a "political" thing as you suggest, it is an idiot versus common sense thing (and I know many democrat farmers who agree this regulatory garbage is insanely stupid run by people who have no clue).
It's putting a lot of small business owners out of business. I find it interesting especially in a state such as Illinois, home to our illustrious leader. These guys are genuinely worried that their kids won't be in the business in 20 years because of some idiot bureaucrat telling them to put up stupid safety regulations.

The next one? One soybean farmer actually told me that they were talking about regulating dust.

Seriously...they are actually going to tell a farmer he can't make dust.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
It's putting a lot of small business owners out of business. I find it interesting especially in a state such as Illinois, home to our illustrious leader. These guys are genuinely worried that their kids won't be in the business in 20 years because of some idiot bureaucrat telling them to put up stupid safety regulations.

The next one? One soybean farmer actually told me that they were talking about regulating dust.

Seriously...they are actually going to tell a farmer he can't make dust.
How does one regulate dust?
I grew up in rural SE MO on the banks of the Mississippi........this I gotta hear......

Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I used to live in Illinois ag country. The farmers were always complaing, even 40 years ago. It's part of their way of life. I learned to ignore it.
I don't understand why you are being snarky here. The regulations that the OP listed really are idiotic. Why shouldn't people complain about things that are wrong? What if someone said, "the rape victims are always complaining - it's part of their way of life -- I learned to ignore it."

?

Old 06-09-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
How does one regulate dust?
I grew up in rural SE MO on the banks of the Mississippi........this I gotta hear......
Apparently with water. The farmer I talked to was genuinely concerned...he has to have beans dry enough to be threshed to separate the beans from the pod...which would cause a certain amount of dust to be generated.

Honestly....it's just madness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies