Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:24 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
When every Democrat and Republican in the Senate (Democrats controlled the Senate in late 2001, as they do now), except for 4 vote in favor of a bill, that is bipartisan support.

When 211 Republicans and 145 Democrats vote in favor of a bill in the House, that is bipartisan support.

Cry and whine all you want, but the USAPATRIOT Act had bipartisan support then as well as now, and it was introduced by Sen. Daschle in the Senate who most definitely was NOT a Republican. ROFL!
There have been 5 Patriot Act votes the 1st one and the last one were bipartisan. You're so unfamiliar with the topic that you are unaware of the other votes were it was mostly all GOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
This whole thread is about whiners and complainers who have never read the law, much less the US Constitution, and would not know a "freedom" if it bit them in their posterior.
"Freedom loving" " liberty loving" right winger calling people who make a stand against government erosion of civil liberties...whiners and complainers.

This is your average Sarah Palin supporter.

I've said this for years. Most of the right wing pretends to be libertarian only when a Dem is in the White House.

What they really are is authoritarians.

They want "their people" in charge and "their people" can do anything they want regardless of the Constitution or laws if it's for a "good reason".

Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
What freedoms were taken? It is very obvious that you have never bothered to actually read the law. You are simply regurgitating the nonsense you have been told by the extremely ignorant. Read the law and form your own opinion for a change. Or are you not capable of thinking for yourself?
Notice that no one said which freedoms were "taken?"

Old 06-02-2011, 07:47 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33
If Obama is a shredder of the Constitution, what does that make Bush - a nuclear bomber of the Constitution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
What's the difference between the two?

One's been gone for years but some don't realize it.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Notice that no one said which freedoms were "taken?"
I have noticed, and no one ever will. They speak as ambiguously as possible because they have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

I have been waiting for someone, anyone, to specify which Section of the USAPATRIOT Act violates which part of the US Constitution, and no one can. Not even these Senators in the article posted by the OP (who originally voted for the USAPATRIOT Act).

I read the bill when it was first introduced by Sen. Daschle because I was absolutely certain that such a bill MUST violate the US Constitution - I was wrong. These morons will not even bother to read the law, but profess to be experts when it comes to their constitutionally protected rights. ROFLMAO!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
I have noticed, and no one ever will. They speak as ambiguously as possible because they have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

I have been waiting for someone, anyone, to specify which Section of the USAPATRIOT Act violates which part of the US Constitution, and no one can. Not even these Senators in the article posted by the OP (who originally voted for the USAPATRIOT Act).

I read the bill when it was first introduced by Sen. Daschle because I was absolutely certain that such a bill MUST violate the US Constitution - I was wrong. These morons will not even bother to read the law, but profess to be experts when it comes to their constitutionally protected rights. ROFLMAO!
Whether or not you believe there are any clear cut violations of the Constitution how is further empowering an already bloated and power hungry government a good idea?

Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Whether or not you believe there are any clear cut violations of the Constitution how is further empowering an already bloated and power hungry government a good idea?
Because that is not what the USAPATRIOT Act does. If anything, it eliminates the vast majority of the bureaucratic nonsense that has crept into law enforcement.

For example, federal judges are no longer constrained to issuing warrants only in their district. Thanks to the USAPATRIOT Act, a federal judge may now issue a warrant regardless of their district, as it should be.

Here is another example: Before the USAPATRIOT Act was enacted into law, law enforcement was required to obtain a separate court issued warrant for every communication device used by a named suspect. If a suspect used their cell phone, their home phone, a fax machine at work, their e-mail, or just posted something on City-Data forum law enforcement would have been required to obtain five separate court issued warrants. The Fourth Amendment does not say anything of the sort. Thanks to the USAPATRIOT Act, only one court issued warrant is required to tap any communication device used by a named suspect, as it should be.

There are several more examples of the USAPATRIOT Act eliminating federal bureaucracy, but you will have to actually read it to find out what they are. And no, they do not violate the US Constitution.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:

Hmmmm......wonder why you're the only person from Sarah Palin's home town to defend the Patriot act?

Do you have insights into this topic that the rest of don't??

Old 06-02-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Hmmmm......wonder why you're the only person from Sarah Palin's home town to defend the Patriot act?

Do you have insights into this topic that the rest of don't??
My insight comes from actually reading the law. Try it sometime, it is a lot better than spouting ambiguous platitudes out of ignorance.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
A hold over from the Bush days to dissolve the Constitution............

""Today the American people do not know how their government interprets the language of the Patriot Act," Wyden said. "Someday they are going to find out, and a lot of them are going to be stunned. Some of them will undoubtedly ask their senators: 'Did you know what this law actually did? Why didn't you know? Wasn't it your job to know, before you voted on it?' "

In an interview, Udall said he wasn't even allowed to discuss details about the government's intelligence-gathering with fellow senators unless they go to a secure room in the Capitol designed to thwart eavesdropping."

Senators sound alarm over Patriot Act extension - latimes.com

One fine point that kinda bothers me.......Obama did NOT sign this bill himself. He used the "autopen" ,a machine, to do it for him. Does that mean he can claim that "he" did not sign this bill???????????????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
If Obama was the one who tried to get the Patriot Act through, the right would have thrown a fit. But since W was a "Patriot" who loved "FREEDOMLIBERTYAMERICANZ", they were fine with it.

This is just further proof, though, that the right is full of sh*t. Make up your narratives all you want, Obama has just been more of the same...
you guys might want to actually do a little research into who wrote the patriot act, and when they did it. it was in fact joe biden that wrote the basic act after the oklahoma city bombing in 1995. it was passed in a bipartisan manner in 2001. a little light reading for you;

USA PATRIOT Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The Act was passed in the House by 357 to 66 (of 435) and in the Senate by 98 to 1 and was supported by members of both the Republican and Democratic parties.
Opponents of the law have criticized its authorization of indefinite detentions of immigrants; searches through which law enforcement officers search a home or business without the owner’s or the occupant’s permission or knowledge; the expanded use of National Security Letters, which allows the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to search telephone, e-mail, and financial records without a court order, and the expanded access of law enforcement agencies to business records, including library and financial records. Since its passage, several legal challenges have been brought against the act, and Federal courts have ruled that a number of provisions are unconstitutional.
Many of the act's provisions were to sunset beginning December 31, 2005, approximately 4 years after its passage. In the months preceding the sunset date, supporters of the act pushed to make its sunsetting provisions permanent, while critics sought to revise various sections to enhance civil liberty protections. In July 2005, the U.S. Senate passed a reauthorization bill with substantial changes to several sections of the act, while the House reauthorization bill kept most of the act's original language. The two bills were then reconciled in a conference committee that was criticized by Senators from both the Republican and Democratic parties for ignoring civil liberty concerns.[4]
The bill, which removed most of the changes from the Senate version, passed Congress on March 2, 2006, and was signed into law by President George W. Bush on March 9 and 10, 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies