Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times

Advertisements

Odd that many people would be ok with a man wearing a dress, unless that dress happened to have "Jesus Saves" or "Allah is King" on it. That would be a problem, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:24 AM

589 posts, read 756,759 times
Its just a catch 22 - You either allow a weirdo to teach your kids while wearing a dress and lipstick on, so that you can say you welcome "diversity". Or you say you disagree and become a "bigot", even though the teacher himself is being a bigot by forcing his lifestyle on 30+ other people who are forced to attend that class.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:36 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Wow! An answered this balanced and common-sense on the first page of the thread! Well done, P&OC forum - I'll admit I didn't expect it.

Yes, I would have a problem with it, solely because it would be a distraction, if the teacher only lived as a woman part-time or made the switch in the middle of the school year.

If the person is living 100% of their life as a given gender, I agree the kids will only see a woman teacher, thus no distraction to the educational process and no problems from me.
You seem to be applying the same level of stupidity of adults to children. But I think that is wrong. Kids can spot hairy legs in a dress from a mile away ... and also frauds. It's only after the full course of indoctrination do they begin to master the art of self delusion, and embrace the idea that up=down .... which of course is part of the process of accepting hairy legs wearing dresses ... it's indoctrination for the full liberal load awaiting them at the University level.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:38 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Teenagers snicker at their teacher's for just about everything anyway.

That is likely true. But the reality of this situation is that a male teacher wearing a dress to class is not going to enhance respect for himself from the students. It's hard enough to manage a classroom of teenagers without deliberately dressing in such a way that will undermine the respect that is due him by virtue of being a teacher.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:43 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,518 times
Default Time to rethink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
It would bother me, here's why.

It is hypocritical of any school to allow that. Why ? Because the school is arguing its only allowing the teacher to exercise his freedom and to be who he is...And the kids should be "tolerant" of different views blah blah.

BUT that male teacher, by wearing a dress is forcing his views onto the entire classroom. If the kids parents dont agree with the idea of a man wearing a dress then their rights are being trampled on, parents are forced to send their kids to school and that teacher is forcing his views onto their children for a entire school year. And yes, a Man wearing a dress hints at the gay lifestyle and that is a lifestyle that many parents do not want their kids to be forced to accept. Yet it will be forced onto their children in a classroom environment such as that.

In other words, the Parents are the ones losing out here. They are forced to send their children to school [by law, or else you go to jail], and being forced to send their children into a classroom that is being taught by a dress-wearing man. That is violating the rights of the parents who may disagree with that teacher's choice of clothing and the message it sends [ie- in your face parents! Im GAY and you have no choice but to send your children to MY classroom].

Taking the above into account, then Schools are little more than indoctrination camps to rear our kids into whatever the establishment wants.

Also, and this is slightly offtopic...But professionalism ? Has it died or what. It is still the norm for professionals to speak "proper" English while at work, and keep the ghetto slang at home. How is this any different ? His personal lifestyle involves dressing like a Woman. Ok, be professional and keep that at home. Wearing a dress wont earn him any respect and it will only hold him back in his career choices, it shows he is not willing to take into account the feelings of the majority of the people who he would be teaching. On second thought this is all probably a publicity stunt.
I think you are forgetting that public schools in the US lean to the left. Many teachers are union members (if you are a conservative that is almost like being a communist). Your kids are already being indoctrinated toward a liberal view, which fits in perfectly with your child's idealism. There are already kids in school that are gay and transgender, as well as cross dressers. YOur kids have seen them, oh no! But as a result I don't think most public school kids would make much of it.

A democracy is judged by how it treats its minorities and the least powerful, that would be the few teachers who would be affected by this change in policy. The gay lifestyle is not something anyone is being forced to accept. It is a reality in the world. You don't have to accept it, but you do have to live among them.

You don't have to worry about the rights of the majority, that's easy, the majority always wins, they can take care of themselves.

In a democracy you have to be concerned about the rights of the minority, because their rights are the ones who are always threatened.

If blacks had been the majority in this country there wouldn't have been a need for the civil rights movement.

I think this would be a good thing. However, by merely wearing different clothes or even talking about it, the teacher is not forcing his beliefs on the students. He is merely presenting an alternative to the box their parents want them to live in - that is what education is about, learning the alternatives to the way you live. This breeds tolerance, which is a good thing, and an alternative to war.

Being a cross dresser is, like being gay, something that an individual discovers about himself, it is not something that someone can convince someone else to do, so no matter how many cross dressing teachers there are, it is not going to indoctrinate anyone into assuming that life style, which comes with verbal abuse, beatings, and other unpleasant things, like death at the hands of "normal" people.

The kids in this teachers classroom will be getting exactly what they should be getting, an experiance that will open their minds, not close them off (obviously if their parents react the way you describe, the parents are closed minded drones that follow their outdated church's mantra and the irrelevant babblings of the conservative right).

A male teacher wearing a dress, like gay marriage, is not a threat to you, your children or society. It's a dress, not a wepon of mass destruction. Get over it.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Yes. I would mind.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:48 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,297 times
I'd choose a different school to send my kid to. Oh wait, we don't believe in school choice, that's right - I forgot.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:51 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Its just a catch 22 - You either allow a weirdo to teach your kids while wearing a dress and lipstick on, so that you can say you welcome "diversity". Or you say you disagree and become a "bigot", even though the teacher himself is being a bigot by forcing his lifestyle on 30+ other people who are forced to attend that class.
Progressives have become adept at creating double spun reasoning. It keeps anyone who disagrees from having a valid argument- no matter how valid it is -and allows them to accuse you of the exact thing they are actually doing.

In the end right will be wrong and wrong will be right. Seems like this truth is coming to pass.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:57 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
I had a teacher that was formerly a male then turned female. Nothing happened. We were shocked (just as we were when two teachers married), but then carried on with class.

Overall, it was a normal school year.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:11 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,914 times
More culture war stuff being pushed by Fox. Quel surprise.

Do you really think this is even an issue? How many teachers will this effect? One? Two?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies