Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 11:14 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
More culture war stuff being pushed by Fox. Quel surprise.

Do you really think this is even an issue? How many teachers will this effect? One? Two?
It's not the one or two teachers that matter, it's the kids that matter.... and yes it is an issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 11:26 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The numbers are actually closer to .02% ... not 1-2 % that fit the legitimate category of intersex ... those defined as lacking either male or female reproductive organs. There are 1 in 100 births reporting some atypical signs of development abnormality .... just nowhere near meeting the definition of intersex.

In any case, psychologically troubled folks seem to fit right in with public eduction .. the cesspool of deviate indoctrination that it is.

Transgenders ... transvestites ... hermaphrodites ... cross dressers all seem to be just qualified to destroy children's minds as any other element currently engaged in he effort.

So yeah, why not? Maybe then, the rest of the mindless fools handing their kids over to this organization of sociopaths might finally get a clue.
That 0.02% statistic represents the number of people in whom it is so obvious at birth that they are classified (diagnosed if you will) as intersex. That's extremely rare for intersex people. They are most likely diagnosed later in life - during puberty or sometime in adulthood. Look at ChristineVA's post where she talks about a coworkers "son" who was diagnosed as an XX-male (an intersex condition) at age 19. That's very common for the intersex.

Interex conditions are also considered some of the most underdiagnosed conditions in people because of people's ignorance of human biological sexes and the stigma associated with being intesex (most people consider the intersex transgendered - even though they're not). Look back at ChristineVA's post when she talks about the intersex support group her coworker's kid attends and a member who killed himself because his family would not accept the way he was born.

//www.city-data.com/forum/19419897-post28.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/19420176-post35.html

Old 06-03-2011, 11:28 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
More culture war stuff being pushed by Fox. Quel surprise.

Do you really think this is even an issue? How many teachers will this effect? One? Two?
The question is, "How many kids would this affect?" and "What kind of effect would it have?"

To answer your question, no, I don't think this is much of an issue as I can't see any serious teacher trying it in his professional life, regardless of what he might do in his private life. Still, it could happen.......

Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It may come as a surprise to you, but there are a great many 12 year olds and teens who want to do nothing more than fit in and conform. The very thought of being different to attract attention to themself would be something like the biggest public embarrassment and many would prefer to melt into the wallpaper and disappear than show off or be seen as different. Not all kids and teens love the "oddities" that stand out and make a big showy public statement. That for many of them would be considered very weird. Kids like that are the majority.
That doesn't come as a surprise to me at all. Social conservatives teach their children to devalue differences. They teach their young kids that men and boys have to look and act a certain way and that if they don't, they're wrong. They teach their young kids that women and girls have to look and act a certain way and that if they don't, they're wrong. If their own kids don't adhere to these arbitrary and rigid gender role constructs, they try to "correct" and "fix" the child - they punish the kid when he or she act "inappropriately" for his or her sex.

I find it gross. It teaches kids that differences are wrong - that it's shameful to be different. It teaches kids to hate the differences in others and to hate people who are different. It teaches them to be bullies. It's a destructive thing to teach a child.

And on top of it, social conservatives what this taught in the schools. They want to indoctrinate my kids with the same values of conformity and devaluing and being ashamed of differences.

Last edited by hammertime33; 06-03-2011 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-03-2011, 11:44 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
More than likely the teacher would look like this

but majority of ppl are picturing this.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Since I don't buy into your heteronormative conceptions of "proper" gender roles, I therefore must not have children?

I'm missing the logical connection there.
They are not steven_h's "heteronormative conceptions of "proper" gender roles".
They are society's conceptions based on several hundred thousand years of human social evolution.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
If he/she/it were interesting enough I might ask for a date.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:57 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That doesn't come as a surprise to me at all. Social conservatives teach their children to devalue differences. They teach their young kids that men and boys have to look and act a certain way and that if they don't, they're wrong. They teach their young kids that women and girls have to look and act a certain way and that if they don't, they're wrong. If their own kids don't adhere to these arbitrary and rigid gender role constructs, they try to "correct" and "fix" the child - they punish the kid when he or she act "inappropriately" for his or her sex.

I find it gross. It teaches kids that differences are wrong - that it's shameful to be different. It teaches kids to hate the differences in others and to hate people who are different. It teaches them to be bullies. It's a destructive thing to teach a child.

And on top of it, social conservatives what this taught in the schools. They want to indoctrinate my kids with the same values of conformity and devaluing and being ashamed of differences.
Do you not realize that you are just as judgemental as the conservatives you criticize? Why do you find it 'gross' that some parents would teach traditional values? Wouldn't you feel insulted if parents considered teaching that differences are wrong to be 'gross'? Personally, short of abuse, I don't care what parents choose to teach their kids- liberal, conservative, nothing. It's not my buisness. As for what should be taught in schools, it should be the community's consensus- certainly NOT Washington's consensus!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:08 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I'm glad to hear you support adoption. My only other question is--do you believe that adoptive parents can never achieve the same bond that biological parents do with their children? Again I just want to understand your point of view.

In my opinion, no in most cases. They may certainly love their children as much or more, but a biological relationship is a separate matter unique to birth parent and child. Moreover, the child may be raised unaware of his or her adoptive status provided the adoptive parents are male and female. In that case, the child could still be raised to embrace traditional parental rolls and responsibilities to the benefit of society. Normal for them will be a household in which a stable and committed male and female parent set are biologically connected to their children for life.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Do you not realize that you are just as judgemental as the conservatives you criticize? Why do you find it 'gross' that some parents would teach traditional values? Wouldn't you feel insulted if parents considered teaching that differences are wrong to be 'gross'? Personally, short of abuse, I don't care what parents choose to teach their kids- liberal, conservative, nothing. It's not my buisness. As for what should be taught in schools, it should be the community's consensus- certainly NOT Washington's consensus!
Sure, you can call me judgemental if you want. I find teaching kids to be ashamed of differences and to shame and hate others who are different to be wrong. It's a disgusting value in my opinion. Despite my opinion, people certainly have the right to raise their kids with these social conservative values and to teach this kind of hatred to their children.

However, the public schools are there to serve EVERYBODY - not just kids being raised socially conservative. They are there to teach "normal" girls, "normal" boys, black kids, white kids, Asian kids, intersex kids, gay kids, masculine girls, feminine boys, the physically handicapped, the mentally retarded, etc, etc, etc. By saying that only "normal" men and "normal" women can be teachers, you're telling the not "normal" kids in the school that they are wrong. You're teaching them to hate themselves and for others to hate them too.

Many places in the US use to have laws banning homosexuals from being teachers - that was disgusting. It seems the social conservatives of this board want to ban the transgendered and intersex from being teachers - I find that equally as disgusting. It seems they think the only adults who should be around their children are either GI Joe or June Cleaver. What if I hate Jews? Is that a reason for my kid's public school not to have Jewish teachers? What if I hate black people? Is that a reason for my kid's public school not to have black teachers? (go back a few decades and it certainly was in the mind of many social conservatives)

Last edited by hammertime33; 06-03-2011 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies