Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Remind me again, what office was she elected to???????????
All First Ladies have a "cause". Are you old enough to remember Lady Bird Johnson's highway beautification efforts? What about Laura Bush's literacy work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
What do you think about legalizing raw milk and placing that in schools as an alternative to even whole milk because it is healthier than pasteurized milk (if the cows are properly taken care of of course)?
AAACK!

From FOX (of all places):

Raw Milk Drinking Returns, Should It? - FoxNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 11:06 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'm the last person who you'd associate with healthy eating, or health in general. I eat a lot, I eat unhealthy foods, I don't really exercise, I love getting drunk and I smoke.

But I don't have a problem with Michelle Obama's efforts to have a healthier nation. People ***** about her wanting school lunches to be healthier... really????? What on earth is the problem with kids eating healthy at school? What is wrong with teaching people about how to make healthy choices? I do take issue with restricting adults from making choices, but I haven't seen any of that from Michelle.

So, I ask of those of you who think Michelle Obama is a granola-eating monster, what's your problem with her initiative? It seriously comes off as "how dare she try and help our nation's children be healthy," which is lunacy to me. I wish I had had healthfulness instilled in me when I was young.
I think she comes across as hectoring rather than concerned.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I think she comes across as hectoring rather than concerned.
Then the problem is with you, having a problem with her.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:08 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
What do you think about legalizing raw milk and placing that in schools as an alternative to even whole milk because it is healthier than pasteurized milk (if the cows are properly taken care of of course)?
as a kid I worked on my aunts dairy farm in CT, and raw milk is an aquired taste..its quite different (I do think its better, but that's my individual opinion)...I dont think many of the modern americans with their tastebuds set for white water, would like it...its like living in Germany for a few years getting used to real beer..then coming back to america and having a Bud..we call it american pisswater

Old 06-06-2011, 11:12 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
All First Ladies have a "cause". Are you old enough to remember Lady Bird Johnson's highway beautification efforts? What about Laura Bush's literacy work?

AAACK!

From FOX (of all places):

Raw Milk Drinking Returns, Should It? - FoxNews.com
This is the key paragraph in the article:

Quote:
Poorly run urban dairies that sprung up during the Industrial Revolution caused outbreaks, she says. Improperly farmed cows fed a diet of whisky mash left over from distilleries, (instead of grass) and milked under filthy conditions produced contaminated milk. “There was a collapse of hygiene,” says Planck. Instead of re-examining and reinstituting traditional farming practices to circumvent deadly pathogens, the government opted for pasteurization.

Read more: Raw Milk Drinking Returns, Should It? - FoxNews.com
If the cow is on a grass-fed diet and the milking conditions are sanitary, while there are still trace amounts of the dangerous bacteria, it is VERY minimal and is safe to drink. I am personally a guinea pig with it and have never gotten sick because of it. This is an interesting read.

Raw Milk Safety

Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
as a kid I worked on my aunts dairy farm in CT, and raw milk is an aquired taste..its quite different (I do think its better, but that's my individual opinion)...I dont think many of the modern americans with their tastebuds set for white water, would like it...its like living in Germany for a few years getting used to real beer..then coming back to america and having a Bud..we call it american pisswater
Haha very true. Never been to germany and don't really drink beer so can't comment on that but raw milk really does have a unique taste.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Then the problem is with you, having a problem with her.

And that is evidenced by???

Old 06-06-2011, 11:14 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
And that is evidenced by???
Your rhetoric.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^We're veering off topic here, but this is from the article.

Tauxe agrees that hygiene starts in the dairy, but points out that raw milk and its potential pathogens has been an issue ever since humans began drinking it about 10,000 years ago. Modern sanitation methods are a far cry from the past but, “perfectly healthy, well-managed cows can pass tests and bacteria can still be present their milk,” he says. Bacteria like campylobacter, E. coli O157and salmonella can exist inside udders without animals experiencing pain or showing symptoms, he says. Scrupulous cleanliness won’t guarantee safety, either, he says. Cows can get contaminated from contact with wild animals or birds.

Read more: Raw Milk Drinking Returns, Should It? - FoxNews.com

I could link some more professional literature, but everyone would call it a government conspiracy. Raw milk is not safe. There was a big outbreak in my county recently from raw goat's milk from a dairy that had had no previous problems.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Your rhetoric.

Ah, I see. Please direct us to one word I have ever written about the woman prior to this thread. We'll wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies