Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 03:21 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Who is "everyone"? Arrogant people like you, who had NEVER been to Brazil, and think that knows something about the country?

I will tell you what is a fallacy: the fallacy of "favelas". Only 19 percent of Rio de Janeiro's population live within favelas. And Rio de Janeiro is one of the most "favelized" cities in Brazil. Most mid-sized cities in Brazil (in the range from 300 thousand to 800 thousand inhabitants) have very few or no favelas at all.

You know nothing about Brazil.
Lol I know nothing about Brazil? One of my friends in high school is a Brazilian from MG and has family in Rio and he's told me how disgusting it is down there and that you can't rely on the police for anything. If you're stuff gets stolen, the only way to get it back would be to yell pega ladrão and hopefully some people would help you pummel his ass. You probably don't know but word is in Puerto Rico that Brazil is a pretty dangerous place. Rio, São Paolo, Brasília, and the especially notorious Recife, among other cities. You're only safest state is Rio Grande do Norte. Not even the capitals in the Amazon are very safe, like Fortaleza

This is like saying Mexico is such a great, fantastic country to live in because it has a PPP amount similar to Brazil when in fact, it's still not true. If we went by numbers alone, Mexico would be a pretty good country to live in. Same would go for South Africa even, which has even better numbers than Brazil but everyone knows how crappy that place is.

I may not live there like you do, but at least I'm not living in denial like you are. By your yardstick, even the U.S. would literally be heaven on earth but it isn't, is it?

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 07-07-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 05:22 PM

3,973 posts, read 6,778,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

(...)

who buys most of brazils exports?

(...)

you would need a modren frigate or two
(...)

1 - currently it is China that is the main buyer of Brazil's exports.

2 - Frigates? Brazilian Navy has currently in operation 9 frigates, 5 corvettes, 5 amphibious assault ships, 5 submarines and 1 aircraft carrier, among other warships. But they are for self-defense, since Brazil is historically a pacificist country that avoids getting involved in wars.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post

income inequalities are very high and still increasing despite the plethora of welfare programs and social projects started by Lula in the last decade.

What??? Who told you this lie?

Income inequalities are NOT still increasing in Brazil. That's completely false. Everyone knows Brazil was extremely successful in REDUCING the income inequalities in the last 10 years, and the country received many international awards because of that!

Please, read this:

Expert: Public policies reduce inequality in Brazil

And this (by Google Translate):

Google Tradutor

Lula's government was very successful reducing inequalities and making the country wealthier as a whole.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:46 PM

Why does MalaMan remind of a Brazilian Wonderful Jellal and Flize?

Old 07-07-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol I know nothing about Brazil? One of my friends in high school is a Brazilian from MG and has family in Rio and he's told me how disgusting it is down there and that you can't rely on the police for anything. If you're stuff gets stolen, the only way to get it back would be to yell pega ladrão and hopefully some people would help you pummel his ass. You probably don't know but word is in Puerto Rico that Brazil is a pretty dangerous place. Rio, São Paolo, Brasília, and the especially notorious Recife, among other cities. You're only safest state is Rio Grande do Norte. Not even the capitals in the Amazon are very safe, like Fortaleza

This is like saying Mexico is such a great, fantastic country to live in because it has a PPP amount similar to Brazil when in fact, it's still not true. If we went by numbers alone, Mexico would be a pretty good country to live in. Same would go for South Africa even, which has even better numbers than Brazil but everyone knows how crappy that place is.

I may not live there like you do, but at least I'm not living in denial like you are. By your yardstick, even the U.S. would literally be heaven on earth but it isn't, is it?

Living in denial? Com'on, make your homework and research the internet, you will find lots of texts in plain English explaining to you the recent social and economic success of Brazil. I won't waste my time with someone who has as his "source" a Brazilian teenager in the high school who left his own country and knows nothing about what is really happening here.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Why does MalaMan remind of a Brazilian Wonderful Jellal and Flize?
I don't know what I remind you, but it is surreal to find here a group of Americans who think they know more about Brazil than Brazilians themselves, and that completely lost the news from Brazil in the last 9 years, and think Brazil has something to do with the stereotypes they see in movies like "Rio" (that with the blue macaw).

Old 07-07-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Living in denial? Com'on, make your homework and research the internet, you will find lots of texts in plain English explaining to you the recent social and economic success of Brazil. I won't waste my time with someone who has as his "source" a Brazilian teenager in the high school who left his own country and knows nothing about what is really happening here.
Everyone knows Brazilian crime is vastly under reported and that income inequality is among the worst in the world. Brazil falls into the bottom 20 countries when it comes to income inequality and it shows. The police are corrupt as hell and the judges are very lenient when it comes to sentencing, if the police can catch the criminals as well and the judge isn't paid off. There's a ton of information available on the internet, and you can also see lots of blogs that locals make about Brazil. Yes I'm sure there's good stuff about Brazil, but I think you're putting your country on a high pedestal that isn't justified. You sound like a typical immigrant from the Dominican Republic that say how great their country is and have their flag in their car, shirts, pants, etc. This is a problem across Latin America, because American Puerto Ricans are very guilty of this too. I realize the many problems that my island has currently, and it has almost all the same problems Brazil has, to a lower level. Your murder rate is just as high as Puerto Rico, and that is among the REPORTED murders. Everyone here knows the police vastly under reports crime in Brazil and there's a website I found made by a Brazilian professor called Vasco Furtado of the Universidade de Fortaleza and he says his reason for creating the map is because the police across Brazil are very unreliable when it comes to crime statistics.

I know how you feel. I'm not bashing you. I also want to feel that Puerto Rico is a lovely place that is paradise and nothing is wrong and would want to live there again and raise a family. But facts are facts, is it really a high quality of life if you have to live behind bars in your own house? Brazil, like Puerto Rico, has a veeeeery long way to go. Especially Brazil since you don't have the benefit of having a less corrupt FBI investigating narcotrafficking in your borders.

I forgot to add: The world organizations acknowledge that the first country to achieve developed status in all of Latin America is Chile, not Brazil.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 07-07-2011 at 06:16 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Everyone knows Brazilian crime is vastly under reported and that income inequality is among the worst in the world. Brazil falls into the bottom 20 countries when it comes to income inequality and it shows. The police are corrupt as hell and the judges are very lenient when it comes to sentencing, if the police can catch the criminals as well and the judge isn't paid off. There's a ton of information available on the internet, and you can also see lots of blogs that locals make about Brazil. Yes I'm sure there's good stuff about Brazil, but I think you're putting your country on a high pedestal that isn't justified. You sound like a typical immigrant from the Dominican Republic that say how great their country is and have their flag in their car, shirts, pants, etc. This is a problem across Latin America, because American Puerto Ricans are very guilty of this too. I realize the many problems that my island has currently, and it has almost all the same problems Brazil has, to a lower level. Your murder rate is just as high as Puerto Rico, and that is among the REPORTED murders. Everyone here knows the police vastly under reports crime in Brazil and there's a website I found made by a Brazilian professor called Vasco Furtado of the Universidade de Fortaleza and he says his reason for creating the map is because the police across Brazil are very unreliable when it comes to crime statistics.

I know how you feel. I'm not bashing you. I also want to feel that Puerto Rico is a lovely place that is paradise and nothing is wrong and would want to live there again and raise a family. But facts are facts, is it really a high quality of life if you have to live behind bars in your own house? Brazil, like Puerto Rico, has a veeeeery long way to go. Especially Brazil since you don't have the benefit of having a less corrupt FBI investigating narcotrafficking in your borders.

I forgot to add: The world organizations acknowledge that the first country to achieve developed status in all of Latin America is Chile, not Brazil.

Brazil has a LOT of problems with crime? Yes, it has. But it has nothing to do with the stereotyped vision many people have of the problem because of some Brazilian movies like "The Elite Squad" (Tropa de Elite) and "City of God" (Cidade de Deus).

There is no mean to compare Brazil's problems with drugs and crime with Mexico's problems. The situation in Mexico is far worse. Mexico faces a civil war in the North and endemic corruption in the police and in the justice system.

Brazil has problems with crime and drugs, but so the USA has. I watch "CSI: Las Vegas" and "Law and Order" enough to know the problems the USA has with drugs, crime, AND corruption in police and the justice system.

It's true that the problems in Brazil are worse than those in the USA, but are certainly far less severe than those in Mexico.

I live in Fortaleza, the 4th largest city in Brazil, and I'm not afraid of walking in the streets, I'm not afraid of hanging out at night. Police here in Fortaleza has a large fleet of SUVs from Toyota (the Fortuner 4WD model) to patrol the streets, and only a minority of the cops are corrupt, not the majority. The last time that I was robbed was 9 years ago. I never personally saw anyone being killed, by criminals or by cops, in my entire life. I only get notice of things like that by television.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:39 PM

158 posts, read 134,617 times
Quote:
Brazil has a LOT of problems with crime? Yes, it has. But it has nothing to do with the stereotyped vision many people have of the problem because of some Brazilian movies like "The Elite Squad" (Tropa de Elite) and "City of God" (Cidade de Deus).

There is no mean to compare Brazil's problems with drugs and crime with Mexico's problems. The situation in Mexico is far worse. Mexico faces a civil war in the North and endemic corruption in the police and in the justice system.

Brazil has problems with crime and drugs, but so the USA has. I watch "CSI: Las Vegas" and "Law and Order" enough to know the problems the USA has with drugs, crime, AND corruption in police and the justice system.

It's true that the problems in Brazil are worse than those in the USA, but are certainly far less severe than those in Mexico.

I live in Fortaleza, the 4th largest city in Brazil, and I'm not afraid of walking in the streets, I'm not afraid of hanging out at night. Police here in Fortaleza has a large fleet of SUVs from Toyota (the Fortuner 4WD model) to patrol the streets, and only a minority of the cops are corrupt, not the majority. The last time that I was robbed was 9 years ago. I never personally saw anyone being killed, by criminals or by cops, in my entire life. I only get notice of things like that by television.
I agree with a lot of what you said in this post but the bold part makes absolutely no sense.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:56 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times
Quote:
1 - Where are those mountains of poverty covering the Brazilian cities? What do you know about the geography of the city of Rio de Janeiro? Do you have any idea of what is the total area of the city of Rio de Janeiro, and what is the size of the area covered by the mountains with "favelas"?

2 - If you think that if China surpass the U.S. in GDP, it will hardly mean anything, then it means you consider GDP per capita more important than total GDP. In this case, to be coherent, you need to admit that the U.S. is currently not the "richest country on Earth". Countries like Norway, Qatar, Luxembourg, Singapore and the United Arab Emirates have a higher GDP per capita than the USA, so, by your own criteria, they are richer than the USA.
The countries you mention do indeed have a higher standard of living than America. Not disputing you there. But there are less than 15 countries in this world with GDP per capitas higher than the USA's. The countries that have higher GDP per capita don't have anywhere near the population we have. The USA has a very high standard of living.

And yes, the USA is the richest country on this Earth. Our GDP is far more than any other country on the planet. The only economic entity that passes us in GDP is the EU. We might not have Norways standard of living, but we do pretty good with 310,000,000 million people living here. Brazil has 200,000,000 million people living there, and does very bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies