Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 10:39 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Ummm....where did I say that the government forced life support on my Mother?

The US Government does not allow people full choice regarding end of life decisions......if it did.....people would be allowed to choose assisted suicide.

Let me rephrase.

I asked Janelle how she would have liked it if it was against the law for her Mother to choose not to be hooked up to machines to keep her alive as long as possible....... because OTHER PEOPLE.....COMPLETE STRANGERS.....believed that giving up was cowardly?
But it is not against the law to chose not to be hooked up, many people make that decision each day. People who have cancer do not chose to get the painful treatments and tell people to allow them to die in peace. Some treatments are only like 10% for a cure and some do not like those percentages so they go home and wait for the end. That is not cowardly. Deciding not to use the death machine is not cowardly either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:43 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
Look, this happens every day in this country.

13 years ago, I stood by my comatose grandmother's bedside with my father (her son). The doctor told us in no uncertain terms that if he put another dose of morphine into her IV, she would not survive. We all agreed that he should do it. She had suffered enough.

That was a Catholic hospital.

She had been kept alive by machines long enough. You all love that "WWJD" phrase. Well, I doubt he would judge us for ending her suffering.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
But it is not against the law to chose not to be hooked up, many people make that decision each day. People who have cancer do not chose to get the painful treatments and tell people to allow them to die in peace. Some treatments are only like 10% for a cure and some do not like those percentages so they go home and wait for the end. That is not cowardly. Deciding not to use the death machine is not cowardly either.
OMG....could someone please help me here?

I asked you.....how would you feel if complete strangers made it law that people like your Mother HAD TO AVAIL THEMSELVES of ALL life extending treatments available? Thereby.....taking away your Mother's CHOICE.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The point being he chose to stay alive as long as possible. Others would choose not to. That's what this issue is about: Choice for your own life.
At first Christopher Reeves wanted to die, he said so. His wife changed his mind and he had some good years with her and his son. No one tried to bring in the death machine. Imagine what his son would have missed out on and the time he did have with his father.

I believe life is always the best decision.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
OMG....could someone please help me here?

I asked you.....how would you feel if complete strangers made it law that people like your Mother HAD TO AVAIL THEMSELVES of ALL life extending treatments available? Thereby.....taking away your Mother's CHOICE.
BUT they haven't and they won't. That would be just as bad as the death machine.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:49 PM

Reading Comprehension 101.....reading is fundamental.

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
Quote:
At first Christopher Reeves wanted to die, he said so. His wife changed his mind and he had some good years with her and his son. No one tried to bring in the death machine. Imagine what his son would have missed out on and the time he did have with his father.

It's the best decision FOR YOU.

The point is that every situation is different and every person should be able to decide on their own what is best FOR THEM.

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
No. Euthansia is not suicide.
I've been told that the youth in asia are quite horny.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:

That's fine. You are free to believe that. When you are terminally ill and suffering like a mofo, you will be free to cling on in severe pain in misery all you want. But simply because YOU believe life to ALWAYS be the best decision does not make it so for everyone else! People must be free to decide that for themselves, with assistance if requested to minimize pain, suffering, or violence, or in a cases where a person is physically unable to do so otherwise.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
BUT they haven't and they won't. That would be just as bad as the death machine.
Or......just as bad as denying people the right to choose death over horrific suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies