Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Although I (black guy) consider myself more libertarian than conservative I'm glad that a black guy is trying to get the black race to look at other options.
I (a black female) agree with you on the encouraging black people to look at all their options BUT I (a black female) don't appreciate the plantation metaphor. It's insulting.

I also have an issue with this:
Quote:
"I have two observations for you," Cain said. "Number one, if you’re black and you disagree with the president [it doesn't imply racism]. … It may shock you but some black people can think for themselves."
Perhaps I need to listen to the audio because I'm not sure how this makes sense but "if you're black" followed by "it may shock you but some black people can think for themselves" didn't make a lot of sense to me. Who was in the audience that ate up this speech?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 08:18 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I am lily-white as they come and I agree with you. I think the statement he made is alienating to Black voters versus pulling them toward him--at least that's the water-cooler scuttlebutt that I'm hearing today. It wasn't well-received at all.
He spoke the truth and now people are calling him a racist.... all he is referring to is how so called black leadership is keeping the sheeple where they want them ENTITLED not EMPOWERED.If Herman Cain had just given up when everybody in life told him NO you can't go to this college or you can't succeed in a White mans business world then your living soul is defeated...he did not quit but persevered.
Mr.Cain will get my vote because he has refused to let the status quo dictate to him,that he could dream an impossible dream to become a highly successful,educated,productive black businessman...which scares the likes of Jackson,Sharpton who have turned Dr Kings dream and hopes into a nightmare.
Jackson and Sharpton what have they done for you...What positions in life have they held other than living off of the agony of the Black man where Herman has become enriched thru hard work,determination and I bet job creation in his lifetime.Just my view...

Old 06-05-2011, 08:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Uncle Tom, is a term exactly like n*gger, used to divide and conquer the citizens, by keeping them at each others throats.

We are all Americans. If we get over the racist tone, our governments loose 90% of their power over the people.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
He spoke the truth and now people are calling him a racist.... all he is referring to is how so called black leadership is keeping the sheeple where they want them ENTITLED not EMPOWERED.If Herman Cain had just given up when everybody in life told him NO you can't go to this college or you can't succeed in a White mans business world then your living soul is defeated...he did not quit but persevered.
Mr.Cain will get my vote because he has refused to let the status quo dictate to him,that he could dream an impossible dream to become a highly successful,educated,productive black businessman...which scares the likes of Jackson,Sharpton who have turned Dr Kings dream and hopes into a nightmare.
Jackson and Sharpton what have they done for you...What positions in life have they held other than living off of the agony of the Black man where Herman has become enriched thru hard work,determination and I bet job creation in his lifetime.Just my view...
What truth did he speak? That some black people can think for themselves? Well who is it that's saying that black people can't think for themselves? Who told black people that they couldn't dream the impossible dream? Surely, it's not these so called black leaders that I keep hearing about.

Jackson and Sharpton haven't been relevant to anything worthwhile in a long time. A very long time. I'm not even sure why their names still pop up in everyday conversation

Old 06-05-2011, 08:39 AM

316 posts, read 559,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Uncle Tom, is a term exactly like n*gger, used to divide and conquer the citizens, by keeping them at each others throats.

We are all Americans. If we get over the racist tone, our governments loose 90% of their power over the people.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:42 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
What truth did he speak? That some black people can think for themselves? Well who is it that's saying that black people can't think for themselves? Who told black people that they couldn't dream the impossible dream? Surely, it's not these so called black leaders that I keep hearing about.

Jackson and Sharpton haven't been relevant to anything worthwhile in a long time. A very long time. I'm not even sure why their names still pop up in everyday conversation
If Jackson and Sharpton weren't relevant they wouldn't be very wealthy and they wouldn't be given media time on a daily basis. Some people deny it but you let Al Sharpton announce a rally or protest for anything and there will always be tons of black people walking with him

Old 06-05-2011, 08:49 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

Well the blacks voted for Obama because he was black and enamored by his silky words give me a break...they wanted free stuff remember? Pay my mortgage,car payment,free gas...entitled.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:50 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
let Al Sharpton announce a rally or protest for anything and there will always be tons of black people walking with him
Well obesity is a problem in the black community so I can understand how you would think that 10 or 15 people traipsing behind Sharpton could be considered tons of black people.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If Jackson and Sharpton weren't relevant they wouldn't be very wealthy and they wouldn't be given media time on a daily basis. Some people deny it but you let Al Sharpton announce a rally or protest for anything and there will always be tons of black people walking with him
So being wealthy makes you relevant?

They get media time because the media keeps chasing after them because the media decided they are the "black authority" on everything black and some people believe that.

As for the rally or protest, you might be right. Also in the case of Jackson he has a tendency to show up to events where there is already going to be a crowd. If my community decides to have rally in protest of a closing the community center and then Jackson decides to come and speak, the media reports it as Jackson rallied a community when in reality all he did was show up. I'd like to see them sale tickets and see what kind of turnout they get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well obesity is a problem in the black community so I can understand how you would think that 10 or 15 people traipsing behind Sharpton could be considered tons of black people.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Well the blacks voted for Obama because he was black and enamored by his silky words give me a break...they wanted free stuff remember? Pay my mortgage,car payment,free gas...entitled.
So those handful of people are the blacks now? I guess I'm glad I'm not one of the blacks

Last edited by nat_at772; 06-05-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 08:59 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Goodnight everybody...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies