Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 02:02 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Sarah Palin's Account of Paul Revere's Midnight Ride Gets Shot Down by Historians - ABC News

"He didn't warn the British," said James Giblin, author of "The Many Rides of Paul Revere." "That's her most obvious blooper."
Blooper or what ever. She wants to run the nation
what was once the most powerful nation in the world

since it has fallen

she cant lead this nation back to greatness
for goodness sakes

we have to get a true leader
its not palin
not obama

where is the person

this country has fallen beyond a joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Lay it to rest master fabricator. I see it bothers you so much that you have to keep spewing your ill informed BS. Why is that because you don't understand what she said, it automatically has to be wrong? Maybe you're the one who is wrong. Just sayin....
We're waiting with baited breath for your crack analysis of her ingenius account of Paul Revere.

Whenever you're ready, the floor is yours....

I've just been quoting books and stuff on the subject. Not a reliable source like Sarah Palin or a Conservative Columnist from the LA Times and such..

Old 06-06-2011, 02:06 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Once again, no they don't. Starting another thread claiming she's right doesn't make it so.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:07 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,889 times
who cares

Old 06-06-2011, 02:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Under liberal logic if you don't know how many men died on the Arizona you don't know what happened at Pearl Harbor.

I don't think there was a media person following Paul Revere to chronicle what happened in every town and village.
Uh, no. Under the logic that those of us who are interested in the truth, if someone said, "The Americans shot at the Japanese at Pearl Harbor", we'd rightly point out that that happened after the Japanese initiated the fighting.

After discussing this for four days now, the OP and everyone else should be aware that Revere was captured by the Brits and told them the colonists were armed. That was not, however, the purpose of his mission, which is what Sarah asserted on June 3.

I agree that the mods must all be on vaction, or at least all on coffee-break, somewhere that has no Wifi. I reported another thread about this earlier today as a dup. I"m tired of having to post the reality of the situation in 3-4 threads b/c Sarah's apologists keep starting new ones.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Maybe Sarah needs to say "maverick" a few times on a T.V. appearance so conservatives might be able to drink themselves back to reality.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
You lefties are the ones who come out firing and bashing anything this woman says. YOU and your pals made the claim she is some sort of idiot.

Anyways, where were you when Biden made his remark about television being around when it wasnt? Where were you when Obama, Biden and other liberals have made numerous idiotic/stupid/wrong statements? No where. Just sitting there silent.

No one is perfect and people misspeak or screw up at times. It just so happens when a Conservative does it or Palin does it especially, it becomes national news used to continue your hateful, childish attacks.
Yes, people do screw up sometimes. Palin screws up sometimes. She just doesn't admit it when she does.

Paul Revere did not ride out to warn the British about the colonists. He rode out to warn the revolutionaries against the British. Maybe Palin misspoke. The British weren't marching out to disarm people, either. They were marching to put down a revolt. Revere was captured, and I don't think even then he was warning the British when he told them about the revolutionary troops massing against them. I would rather think he was boasting and strategically exaggerating in order to effect an escape. And it worked out for him. I don't know why Palin tried to mix 2nd Amendment rights into Revere's ride, and while the imagery of churchbells ringing out and patriots shooting into the air has a certain romantic, victorious appeal, it's not applicable to Revere's ride. Revere was trying to avoid being captured by the British, so stealth balanced against the need for speed were his priorities.

I can sympathize with Palin. Every little word is examined and criticized. Political commentary is a tough business, and I think the media have been particularly tough on her. She's going to have to speak off the cuff sometimes, but every time she does, it's taken apart and her mistakes are showcased by the press. But she needs to own it, anyway. Palin was not right about Revere, she was just less wrong than the press originally made her out to be. Still wrong, but not completely wrong.

Wrong because Revere's intention and success warning the revolutionaries was the point of Revere's ride and heroism. His capture by the British that night was just a footnote to history. His capture does not detract from the courage he exhibited nor from his success in doing what he set out to do. That Palin did not address what he set out to do, and instead rambled about the colonists not allowing the British to disarm them (huh? disarm colonists? colonists hacking a living from a wilderness with threats all around them, the French, the Indians, the bears, wolves, and other wildlife? who was trying to disarm colonists?) and Revere warning the British. That was just wrong on Palin's part. She needs to own it.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:31 PM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Actually if I remember correctly, she said Paul Revere raced across the country side firing shots in the air and ringing bells, in order to warn the British that the colonists weren't going to back down or give up their arms. In this account, he only mentions a warning to the British because he happens to be stopped by them and questioned. Not completely different, but not exactly the same thing, either. Personally, I think Palin was just winging it on the spot, like 99% of politicians seem to do. Some are just better at it than others.
That's exactly what she was doing.

BTW, the colonists across the Massachusetts countryside who actually were warned on that night in April 1775 considered themselves to be British.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:36 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
It's also well known Paul Revere could see the British from his house and was the go to guy when the British invaded U.S. airspace

Old 06-06-2011, 03:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
That's exactly what she was doing.

BTW, the colonists across the Massachusetts countryside who actually were warned on that night in April 1775 considered themselves to be British.
The colonists across the Massachusetts countryside who were loyal to the crown didn't need to be warned. Those who were disloyal were the ones being warned. British or not, Revere wasn't warning the British army or the loyalists, he was warning the people who were no longer loyal to British rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies