Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The Professor didn't back her up. The professors said she wasn't completely wrong.
Apparently, you are still wrong.

How Accurate Were Palin's Paul Revere Comments? : NPR

Quote:
BLOCK: So you think basically, on the whole, Sarah Palin got her history right.

Prof. ALLISON: Well, yeah, she did.
Just ONE of the historians that back her up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 07:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I really wonder if any of you left leaners know that Revere failed to make the whole ride because he was captured by some REd Coats. I would have told them anything they wanted to know like that since they had offered to kill him. Do you and your sources have any real idea what he told them while he was a prisoner? I think you got your info from a progressive rewrite of the situation.
This left leaner knows. This left leaner knows that Revere set out on his ride to warn COLONISTS, not the British army. This left leaner knows that Revere set out on his ride in secrecy, and wasn't shooting off guns or ringing bells because he was trying to avoid drawing the attention of the army or of loyalists. This left leaner knows that the British Army wasn't engaged in any movement to disarm colonists, this country was largely a wilderness and colonists needed arms to defend themselves, it wasn't about ideology--it was pragmatism. This left leaner gets her information about what he told the British WHEN HE WAS CAPTURED from the same source you do, Revere himself and his own account of what happened.

If you are accepting Palin's version as an accurate one, you are being intellectually dishonest.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
This left leaner knows. This left leaner knows that Revere set out on his ride to warn COLONISTS, not the British army. This left leaner knows that Revere set out on his ride in secrecy, and wasn't shooting off guns or ringing bells because he was trying to avoid drawing the attention of the army or of loyalists. This left leaner knows that the British Army wasn't engaged in any movement to disarm colonists, this country was largely a wilderness and colonists needed arms to defend themselves, it wasn't about ideology--it was pragmatism. This left leaner gets her information about what he told the British WHEN HE WAS CAPTURED from the same source you do, Revere himself and his own account of what happened.

If you are accepting Palin's version as an accurate one, you are being intellectually dishonest.
Apparently you didn't know that Revere DID warn the British, that you didn't know that bells were rung and shots rang out, that you didn't know the British were attempting to take arms and ammunition....all you have to do is read the account AND what the historians say.

I'll just post this again for you;

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

"The movement of the British on the night of the 15th aroused the suspicion of the patriots, of whom Warren was chief , who had remained in Boston. They meant to him one thing,- an intention to send forth soon an expedition of some sort. The most plausible conjecture as to its object, even had there been no direct information on the subject, suggested the capture of Hancock and Adams at Lexington, or the seizure of the military stores at Concord, or both."

"And that it was shrewdly suspected, that they were ordered to seize and destroy the stores, belonging to the colony, then deposited at Concord, in consequence of General Gage's unjustifiable seizure of the magazine of powder at Medford, and other Colony stores in several other places"

"When we got within about half a mile of the meeting house, we heard a gun fired; the major asked me what it was for, I told him to alarm the country"

"He then Ordered us to march, when we got within sight of the meeting House, we heard a Volley of guns fired, as I supposed at the tavern, as an alarm"

"This was the "battle" of Lexington,-fifty provincials exchanging a few shots with eight hundred of the King's troops, who then marched on to Concord, only to find, after a bloody encounter, that the most valuable of the stores they had come to seize or destroy had, thanks to the timely warning of Paul Revere three days before, been already removed to place of safety."

The True Story of Paul Revere - Chapter 3: The Midnight Ride
This is not the only text that details the events.

Now, who should we believe, a leftist who claims to know his history....or the actual text and historical accounts?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Apparently you didn't know that Revere DID warn the British, that you didn't know that bells were rung and shots rang out, that you didn't know the British were attempting to take arms and ammunition....all you have to do is read the account AND what the historians say.

I'll just post this again for you;

This is not the only text that details the events.

Now, who should we believe, a leftist who claims to know his history....or the actual text and historical accounts?
Yeah, the historical accounts don't support Palin's version. There are only two questions that need to be answered. If you answer in the affirmative, you are agreeing with Palin, but disagreeing with the historical account. If you choose Palin over history, that's your choice. Suffice it to say, that accepting Palin's version over the historical record speaks to the irrationality of Palin revisionists.

Did Revere ride out to warn the British of anything?

No, Revere rode out to warn the revolutionaries, and to do so he exercised caution and stealth to avoid capture. Unfortunately he did get captured, but only after he had successfully alerted the revolutionaries.

Did Revere ring any bells or fire any weapons?
No, he didn't.

Guess Palin got it wrong.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Well, NPR had a professor on and claimed she was correct....

Letters: Li Na; Sarah Palin, Paul Revere; Accordions : NPR

Old 06-08-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well, NPR had a professor on and claimed she was correct....

Letters: Li Na; Sarah Palin, Paul Revere; Accordions : NPR
No, he claimed she wasn't completely wrong. There's a difference.

Once again, only two questions.

1. Did Paul Revere set out on his ride to warn the British?

Answer: NO

2. Did Paul Revere ring any bells or fire off weapons?

Palin asserts that the answers are YES, therefore she is WRONG.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
When Paul Revere was stopped by British soldiers the night of his famous ride, he did say to them that the countryside is mobilizing and you've lost the element of surprise.

Andrew Malcolm of the L.A. Times also backed up Sarah's account
That the Republican non-candidate, in fact, knew more about the actual facts of Revere's midnight ride than all those idiots unknowingly revealing their own ignorance by laughing at her faux faux pas? How secretly embarrassing this must be, to be forced to face that you're dumber than the reputed dummy.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
No, he claimed she wasn't completely wrong. There's a difference.

Once again, only two questions.

1. Did Paul Revere set out on his ride to warn the British?

2. Did Paul Revere ring any bells or fire off weapons?

Palin asserts that the answers are YES, therefore she is WRONG.
I don't recall her saying that was why he actually set out on his ride.

Two questions for you:

1. Did Paul Revere warn the British?

Answer: YES

2. Did Paul Revere's actions cause bells to be rung or weapons to be fired off?

Answer: YES

Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Wow, some idiots are still trying to defend Palin? That is funny! I can't wait for the Bachmann - Palin Wars. Will it be a battle to see who can make up the most history?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:25 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
I admit, that I probably would not have given much of a better answer than Ms. Palin. It has been many decades since I had to sit in class and learn about that evening far, far ago.

I do recall learning years later that Mr. Revere was one of three riders, and that the only one who actually completed his ride was Dr. Prescott (to Concord) to deliver the warning (one rider, Dawes, lost his way).

I have always thought (when I chose to think about it) that Longfellow chose Mr. Revere as the subject of his poem for two reasons: 1) Paul Revere was well-known (he made pots and pans of good quality) and 2) Longfellow could not come up with a rhyme for "Prescott".

Here is what Longfellow settled on:

"Listen my children, and you shall hear
of the midnight ride of Paul Revere.
On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-Five:
Hardly a man is now alive
Who remembers that famous day and year."

Note that he had already decided to begin the poem with "Listen my children". Longfellow liked how 'Revere' rhymed with so many words, like 'year'.

Now, here is his attempt with Prescott (I have access to Longfellow's notebook):

"Listen my children, and you shall be taught
of the midnight ride of Doctor Pres-cott,
Who remembers about the man not caught."

However, Longfellow simply did not like the way it sounded. He also thought that it made the other two sound careless.

He also tried William Dawes:

"Listen my children, and you shall hear cause
of the midnight ride of William Dawes,
Who remembers how Dawes got lost."

Again, Longfellow did not like how it read. He also thought that there was not much else to say about a man getting lost in the dark. How could he continue on that theme for another dozen or so stanzas?

"It was dark and scary, the woods full of owls,
all hooting mysteriously, for no real cause."

So, Longfellow gave up on Prescott and Dawes, and settled on Revere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies