Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:59 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Medical Care costs for everybody should be shared by everybody able to share.
In the Soviet Union. Not here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 03:00 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,339,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
The notion that health care is a right is strictly demagogic.
I firmly believe it should be a right. But I never argue the point because I know it is not...

However, health care IS a necessity.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:26 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
In the Soviet Union. Not here.
Err, in virtually every developed Nation, except this one. But this is a pointless argument, the decision has been made, we are moving toward UHC and will get there.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:50 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I should have the right to pursue healthcare at a reasonable cost that is both a quality service and affordable, without the government having a hand in it. Healthcare is high because the government has made it that way.
Ypu have the right to high quality health care, which wasn't available back in 1900 when just any quack could be a physician. Hell hell william f buckly was a "surgeon" that implanted goat testicals into people (which is fatal) till "evil" regulation forced him out. Snake oil wasn't a good term for the drugs available at the time either. If you want to go back to that, places like Somalia would welcome you.

As for cost, there are certianly way too many administrive costs...but regulation making you live through you health care experice is the price. If you don't like paying the price for good care please visit many cheap options for care. That or use many of the suppliments pr quack cures through the web, they are cheap for a reason.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:57 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,815 times
I don't think people have a right to free healthcare.
However, I think of ALL the services and products in the world, THIS and ONLY this is something that needs to be regulated with laws.

Look, I'm for the free market and capitalism. If you make TVs and wish to sell them for $10,000 a pop.. go for it.
But the prices that people/insurance companies charge for TREATMENT is just... criminal!

If you HAVE insurance -- from a personal plan, or from work -- you pay your fees and that's it. All co-pays to the doctor, surgeries, prescriptions should be $0!! Why are we paying for a service just to have expensive discounts?! It's ridiculous. I'm not asking for a hand out. I'm not asking for others to pay for my healthcare. I'm not asking doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, etc to stop making money. I'm asking them to stop charging US so much money.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:59 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,038 times
I would contend that the problem with healthcare costs in the United States isn't too little government intervention, but too much. There's no reason that basic healthcare can't be much more affordable than it is, except for the separation between the payee and the person receiving the care. The AMA also limits the supply of doctors, and non-traditional medicine is all but banned.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:59 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
I should have the right to pursue healthcare at a reasonable cost that is both a quality service and affordable, without the government having a hand in it. Healthcare is high because the government has made it that way.
But therein lies the problem. What is a reasonable cost? What is reasonable to you might be out of reach for someone else.

So would you be okay with denying treatment to people who cannot afford what is "reasonable"? Would you be okay letting someone die because they cannot afford your "reasonable" cost.

Quote:
What I'm saying is that government, corporations, and unions have no business standing between me and my doctors only to drive up the cost through tax, profits, and someone else's employment benefits.
So, are you advocating banning health insurance companies? Should employers be banned from providing health care benefits? Should unions be banned from negotiating health care benefits for their members? Should Medicare be ended and seniors be allowed to fend for themselves? How about doctors, should the amount they earn be controlled too? How about for-profit hospitals?

There are lots of consequences to your views that need to be thought through.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:08 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
I would contend that the problem with healthcare costs in the United States isn't too little government intervention, but too much. There's no reason that basic healthcare can't be much more affordable than it is, except for the separation between the payee and the person receiving the care. The AMA also limits the supply of doctors, and non-traditional medicine is all but banned.
There are a bunch of problems. First we have too many systems ... Medicare, Medicaid, VA and each insurance company is different. That leads to an administrative nightmare for health care providers and racks up unnecessary cost.

There are we have the unintended consequence of liability protection which is high insurance premiums and defensive medicine.

Then there is the health insurance and pharmaceutical lobby which protects profits for those corporations.

Finally, we have the highly inefficient way of providing care to those with no insurance ... the ER.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:16 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,161,964 times
I'd much rather have a corporation between me and healthcare with no government intervention. Government doesn't regulate LCD HD Televisions. How do you know those won't blow up in your face? At least doctors take an oath, does a TV manufacturer? The cost of TV's was very high at first, and guess what....PRICES CAME DOWN and you can buy a nice sized TV for half the cost is was 5 years ago. Unregulated market.

Secondly, how many government run programs are considered effective. So far none have accomplished their goal. If you think throwing more money at it is going to work then think again. Welfare has been around for over 20 years....why are there still poor people? EPA has been around even longer...why is there still pollution? Government run healthcare will be a joke and your service will suck.

Medical costs and not everyone having it at this point is a symptom. You have to treat the disease if you want the symptoms to go away. Free market economy, stop government spending, stop inflation, lower taxes, sound money system. You'll find a lot of other problems start to slowly become less of a problem if you can create a monetary system that isn't based on racking up as much debt as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies