Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:59 PM

589 posts, read 376,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, let me get this right...

Boeing was going to start a new division of their current plant...

And people are bitching about that?
Sad world huh ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 01:02 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I too used to think all unions were no good. In fact, I still think some are.
A short story ....

For the record, our union scale is at $29/hour right now. There are 8 of us (out of 20) that make well over scale. Me? I earn substantially over scale. My boss and company owners are not required to pay us over scale. They do so in order to keep the quality of work up. They probably did not like it when the economy was up, but it has paid them major dividends while the economy is slumping. (Not sure if they saw that coming or not)

I fail to see how busting up unions will help the economy. In fact I think just the opposite will happen. If I am right, then bust away. If the economy gets worse I will ask for another raise.
Of course not all unions are bad, and the threat of unions/strikes keep management honest. It is unquestionable that unions add costs to the goods and services we consume, and some of that added cost is unnecessary.

It is like the argument Obamacare supporters make.
, why pay insurance companies? All they do is add cost without adding value?

Old 06-04-2011, 01:36 PM

Old 06-05-2011, 04:00 AM

South Carolina governor Nikki Haley

Quote:
In October 2009, Boeing, long one of the best corporations in America, made an announcement that changed the economic outlook of South Carolina forever: The company's second line of 787 Dreamliners would be produced in North Charleston.
In choosing to manufacture in my state, Boeing was exercising its right as a free enterprise in a free nation to conduct business wherever it believed would best serve both the bottom line and the employees of its company. This is not a novel or complicated idea. It's called capitalism.

Nikki Haley: Obama's Silence on Boeing Is Unacceptable - WSJ.com
Good luck governor, supporter of freedom are with you

Old 06-05-2011, 05:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The law says you cannot retaliate for unions using their right to strike in any way.

You cannot threaten them, you cannot move the work away. The company officials by their own words and actions did just this.

boeing did not threaten them, or retaliate by moving work away from washington.

they opened a new plant to protect themselves from strikes, and they said as much.

Last edited by le roi; 06-05-2011 at 05:42 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 05:30 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
One thing is for sure, Obama is going to lose SC by an even larger margin in 2012 if this nonsense continues.
SC wouldn't vote for Obama anyways, so for him it is not a big deal. however, if this continues to gain press, Obama is definitely jeopardizing his chances of winning VA and NC again.

To me, this is easily the worst thing the Obama administration has done so far. Union vs. Right to Work is not a fight they want to start IMO.

Last edited by le roi; 06-05-2011 at 05:48 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 09:05 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Nobody is saying (I would hope) that all unions are bad; I've been a member of various unions for 20+ years of my 35+ years in the workforce.

It makes no sense for anybody to tell Boeing or any other corporation where they can place their plants, since half of the 34 states in which Boeing has facilities are non-union shops.

The only people that Boeing's CEO has to answer to are their shareholders and their board of directors.

That law is flat-out asinine, to put it mildly; putting unions 'in a bad light' because of their insatiable greed is fine by me, given their unparalleled record of killing jobs in this country.

The three most prolific job-killing entities in this country are three wholly owned subsidiaries of the Democratic Party--public employee unions, trial lawyers and environmentalists, all of whom have their own well-deserved places in the Hall Of Shame.

This preposterous episode between Boeing & the NLRB is merely more proof that Obama and his Democratic minions are the best job-killers out there; look no farther than Democrat-created hellholes such as Detroit & Buffalo.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Nobody is saying (I would hope) that all unions are bad; I've been a member of various unions for 20+ years of my 35+ years in the workforce.

It makes no sense for anybody to tell Boeing or any other corporation where they can place their plants, since half of the 34 states in which Boeing has facilities are non-union shops.

The only people that Boeing's CEO has to answer to are their shareholders and their board of directors.

That law is flat-out asinine, to put it mildly; putting unions 'in a bad light' because of their insatiable greed is fine by me, given their unparalleled record of killing jobs in this country.

The three most prolific job-killing entities in this country are three wholly owned subsidiaries of the Democratic Party--public employee unions, trial lawyers and environmentalists, all of whom have their own well-deserved places in the Hall Of Shame.

This preposterous episode between Boeing & the NLRB is merely more proof that Obama and his Democratic minions are the best job-killers out there; look no farther than Democrat-created hellholes such as Detroit & Buffalo.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:14 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
and then there are the benefit packages, the pensions,the protections from being terminated,the strikes when they don't want to accept change, all forced/guranteed by the government.
My former employer dealt with a union, the NEA. Myself and 10 coworkers were laid off. The union did NOTHING because the older workers still got their raises. Meanwhile, those of us young teachers are unemployed. I will be losing that precious union pension because my income now is ZERO. My savings is gone.

Jobs are hard to come by. Teacher jobs are nearly impossible to find because the NEA allows incompetent teachers who can't hack it in the private sector to remain employed. Now, I get to apply for jobs at McDonalds.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post

Some on this board would have you think that any union is the second coming of Beelzebub, which is nonsense, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies