Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:42 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,162 times

Advertisements

Erm... there is another option. Stop spending so much dang money. Seriously! The US is giving money away around the world while we're trillions of dollars in debt. We borrow money to bomb countries and then borrow more money to rebuild them. We give corporations welfare (looking at you GM) and spend gobs of money fighting the "War on Drugs". How about we stop spending money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 PM

1,027 posts, read 824,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont, but if you dont mind lying about other posters, you'll fit right in with the other liberals here who make claims but cant back them up..

I'm still waiting for you to backup your claim that the Executive Branch has carte blanc to do what they want in the event of a default. Nope.. nothing here.

I'd have a lot more respect for you if you'd just admit you were wrong rather than carrying on the nonsense. Thats twice on the same thread you were wrong.. You're off to a great start here..

You seem to be the only one with that opinion...

Do you also drive through red lights because you decide what is right and wrong?...maybe you should start.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
You seem to be the only one with that opinion.
Thats odd because I dont see ANYONE else claiming the president can do what he wants with the budget in the event of a default.
Quote:
Do you also drive through red lights because you decide what is right and wrong?...maybe you should start.
Its YOU wanting to decide whats right and wrong.

Again, what section of the Constitution backs up your claim? You seem to be the only one thinking the President can override Congress and the Constitution.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Thats odd because I dont see ANYONE else claiming the president can do what he wants with the budget in the event of a default.

Its YOU wanting to decide whats right and wrong.

Again, what section of the Constitution backs up your claim? You seem to be the only one thinking the President can override Congress and the Constitution.

OK OK Im gonna bite, I'm going against my better judgment and im going to attempt to educate you...a probable exercise in futility...

HERE IS THE EXACT SECTION IS THE US CODE

TITLE 2 > CHAPTER 17B > SUBCHAPTER II > § 682

Clearly states “deferral of budget authority” to the Comptroller General who is an Executive branch member so serves the President...Thereby giving Obama De Facto control over the budget.

Furthermore to break it down "Barney-level" for you.

The Congress already voted for a budget they knew would require the debt ceiling to be raised.

Any vote NOT to raise the Ceiling on a budget they passed knowing the ceiling would have to be raised would be Unconstitutional and could be summarily revoked by Executive Order...if it even came to that.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
OK OK Im gonna bite, I'm going against my better judgment and im going to attempt to educate you...a probable exercise in futility...

HERE IS THE EXACT SECTION IS THE US CODE

TITLE 2 > CHAPTER 17B > SUBCHAPTER II > § 682
1) you said it was in the Constitution. Thats not the Constitution
2) Thats the definition of "deferral of budget authority", not the authorization. Furthermore, 682, is part of 684 which clearly says

Whenever the President, the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, the head of any department or agency of the United States, or any officer or employee of the United States proposes to defer any budget authority provided for a specific purpose or project, the President shall transmit to the House of Representatives and the Senate a special message specifying—

This means the president can DEFER the budget, it doesnt mean he can do whatever the hell he wants
Quote:
Clearly states “deferral of budget authority” to the Comptroller General who is an Executive branch member so serves the President...Thereby giving Obama De Facto control over the budget.
WRONG..
deferral: act of putting off to a future time

This doesnt mean the President can write his own, he means he can DELAY it Presidents CANT SPEND, until after Congress authorizes it, they can only STOP spending..
Quote:
Furthermore to break it down "Barney-level" for you.

The Congress already voted for a budget they knew would require the debt ceiling to be raised.

Any vote NOT to raise the Ceiling on a budget they passed knowing the ceiling would have to be raised would be Unconstitutional and could be summarily revoked by Executive Order...if it even came to that.
WRONG.. Where on gods earth do you get bs from? They voted not to raise the debt ceiling doesnt pass a budget, and ALL budgets must FIRST be passed by Congress. Even the 14th Amendment referrs the debt to Congress.

The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Anyway I don't get paid to educate the uninformed so I'm not digging through to find you that section where you would most undoubtedly say its "misinterpreted" from the founders original intent anyway...
Translation:
I am wrong and don't want to admit it.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 PM

8 posts, read 17,162 times
Default! I can't raise my debt level along with a heck of allot of Americans. How about stop supporting other nations for few years so the bills can get paid. After the bills are paid start giving a hand up not a hand out.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
1) you said it was in the Constitution. Thats not the Constitution
2) Thats the definition of "deferral of budget authority", not the authorization. Furthermore, 682, is part of 684 which clearly says

Whenever the President, the Director of the Office of Management and Budget, the head of any department or agency of the United States, or any officer or employee of the United States proposes to defer any budget authority provided for a specific purpose or project, the President shall transmit to the House of Representatives and the Senate a special message specifying—

This means the president can DEFER the budget, it doesnt mean he can do whatever the hell he wants

WRONG..
deferral: act of putting off to a future time

This doesnt mean the President can write his own, he means he can DELAY it Presidents CANT SPEND, until after Congress authorizes it, they can only STOP spending..

WRONG.. Where on gods earth do you get bs from? They voted not to raise the debt ceiling doesnt pass a budget, and ALL budgets must FIRST be passed by Congress. Even the 14th Amendment referrs the debt to Congress.

The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Your powers for dissembling are amazing..you chose to use another meaning of the world "defer" ignoring the context its written in.

defer (third-person singular simple present defers, present participle deferring, simple past and past participle deferred)
  1. (law) To submit to the opinion or desire of another in respect to their judgment or authority.

But anyway...

What will you be saying when the Debt Limit is raised? Did the House Tea Partier's sell you out?

Because they are really just putting on a show you know...so they can go back to their constituents and say "Well we tried"...

So if its a good Idea NOT to raise it and everything I said is wrong and they have the power to NOT raise it then why will they end up raising it?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:48 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Interesting this, your Republican party do not want the wealthy taxed anymore yet they still want the same amount spent on toys like aircraft carriers etc.
So a question, should the USA default on it's debt or raise the debt level ?

Palin Disputes Debt Warnings, Urges Resistance to Raising Cap - Bloomberg
Yes

Old 06-03-2011, 09:56 PM

And to the second part.

How can congress pass a Law and then pass another law contradicting that law without even rescinding the first law?...Clearly unconstitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies