Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:01 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I live in a new-urbanist community within a large city. I can mow my entire lawn in under 10 minutes and my neighbors houses are about 10' from mine. And I love it! My kids can play with their friends in the park across the street... that I don't have to mow or maintain. And I get to socialize with my neighbors and I can walk to stores.

Maybe conservatives are just anti-social, or too busy hiding in their basements while polishing their guns and watching Fox Spews?
LOL.

we cant hide in our basements.. we are too busy mowing our lawns!

we dont have basements in Texas.... at least not in the Dallas area... i know most of my neighbors....

got anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 02:08 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I live where my nearest neighbour is 5 miles away.

Cities suck.
That sounds like pure hell to me

Old 03-09-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL.

we cant hide in our basements.. we are too busy mowing our lawns!

we dont have basements in Texas.... at least not in the Dallas area... i know most of my neighbors....

got anything else?
I was just jumping on this thread's bandwagon of extreme stereotypes Either you're a city slicker living in a filthy, noisy highrise 400 sq. foot apartment or a gun-totin' suburbanite living on 2 acres.

Really, there's a whole lot in between. There are $10 million penthouses in Denver that I know of. High rise living doesn't equate small or dangerous. And you can find single family houses with back yards, but you can walk to stores and restaurants.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:13 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I was just jumping on this thread's bandwagon of extreme stereotypes Either you're a city slicker living in a filthy, noisy highrise 400 sq. foot apartment or a gun-totin' suburbanite living on 2 acres.

Really, there's a whole lot in between. There are $10 million penthouses in Denver that I know of. High rise living doesn't equate small or dangerous. And you can find single family houses with back yards, but you can walk to stores and restaurants.
What zip code do you live in and what is the average price of such a home where you live in the city with such nice amenities?

Old 03-09-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Denver, people in the burbs live pretty similar lifestyles.
For the most part, yes. Some people don't like the small lots where I live, but it's my preference. I don't want to pay to water a lot of grass or mow it.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What's the zip code? What does the average house cost?
80238. Average house is probably around a half mil. Condos and some townhouses can be found in the low $300s. Not that different from Denver's further out 'burbs.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:15 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am Conservative and love where I live. Then again I live 8 miles from work and my commute time is maybe 15 minutes. LOL
2.8 Miles for me.

Oh, and that's a round trip.

On the days that I go into the office, instead of working from home.

I probably have a smaller "carbon footprint" than most of the people here who claim to be champions for the environment. I like a clean environment, too. I just don't feel the need to crow about it and tell everyone else they're screwing up, just to make myself feel good and fool myself into believing that I'm "doing something about it."

Old 03-09-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You could argue the areas with the most dense populations have more reliance on government.
You could. You might be wrong though. As urban areas "gentrify", the first ring suburbs are becoming the home to lower classes these days.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:19 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The thread is about long term sustainability. What will these master planned communities look like in 30 years?
They'll look like how a very large portion of Las Vegas looks today.

Not sure what you're asking. Do you think houses disintegrate after 30 years or something?

If you want to see how a "master planned community" can grow long term, look at Irvine, CA.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:24 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
It's not sustainable. Look what it has caused.
Okay - you know this is NO better than these stupid strawman things like. .Liberals, please tell me, why do you hate America or some #@!!&

The primary issue with urban sprawl. . .what is your beef? what is the problem? We have a decent amount of space. . .some issues with fuel use I grant you. . .

So first. . .what is the problem with urban sprawl. its not like we don't have enough space?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies