Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Conservatives: If Forced To Choose, Would You Live in San Fransisco or Dearborn?
Dearborn 17 27.42%
San Fransisco 45 72.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:46 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

Thinking again about things...

If taxes keep going the direction that they're going in here in California, and if Dearborn Michigan had some tax incentives I might just choose Michigan and wear electric underwear and socks all winter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 01:05 PM

425 posts, read 653,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
As a Godless sexual misfit, I fully support religious freedom - including that of Muslims. As a civil libertarian, I hold the freedom to worship and choose one's own religion (or no religion at all) without interference from the government sacrosanct.

However, the 1st Amendment is a two way street. It keeps government out of religion, but it also keeps religion out of government. I say two way street, but it's really the same concept. If you let religion into government, then the government ends up interfering with those of other or no religion. That's why I disagree with things like defining civil marriage contracts according to Christianity or applying elements of Muslim Sharia tradition to codes dictating how I behave, etc.
You support freedom for a religion which holds as an article of faith that you are worthy of death and that doesn't acknowledge man-made law?

The postmodernist mindset never ceases to amaze and amuse with its contradictions.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:34 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
You support freedom for a religion which holds as an article of faith that you are worthy of death and that doesn't acknowledge man-made law?

The postmodernist mindset never ceases to amaze and amuse with its contradictions.
Yes - I support allowing people to hold and live by their own religious beliefs - even if I strong disagree with those beliefs and they believe I'm some sort of evil, immoral, destructive creature.

All I ask in return is the same courtesy. Unfortunately, a lot of people are fundamentally religious and want to force their religion upon everybody. In this country, it's mostly conservative Christians who do that (they make gay sex illegal, they make it illegal to sell liquor on Sundays, they base civil marriage contracts on Christian theology, etc, etc, etc).

Certainly there are fundamentalist Muslims who want to do the same. I imagine there are fundamentalists Jews and Buddhists and Hindus etc etc etc who would want to do it too. I truly believe that fundamentalist religion is the greatest threat to freedom and American values.

That said, there are many, many, many devoutly religious people who don't hold to this kind of fundamentalism and theocratic way of thinking. They have a live-and-let-live, freedom loving attitude. That includes many Muslims. I'm typing this response from my childhood home (my parents are in Alaska and I'm dog sitting). Just down the street is the largest Mosque in the state of Colorado. I went to elementary, middle, and high school with 100s of Muslims who attended/attend that Mosque.

I'm still friends with some of them today (I graduated high school in 2000). They don't care that I'm an atheist. They're all varying degrees of devout (like adherents of any religion), but none of them want to impost Sharia or other Muslim traditions on me or anybody else. They don't care that I'm gay. All of my Muslim friends actually support gay rights - even the ones that consider my homosexuality sinful. They understand and believe in the freedom, including separation of Church and State, America stands for.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:38 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,308 times
San Fran by a mile.....to me it's one of the best cities in world. Love the culture, especially the great food!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:47 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,379 times
I chose San Francisco. I have already co-existed with the multi-times-a-day call to prayer when I lived in downtown Adana, Turkey, for a year. I don't want to do it again.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:49 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
I'm a Libertarian guy who shies from the label conservative, because of the other people who use that term. But I would move to San Franciso in a heart beat. They have some outlandish policies I disagree with no doubt. But I am able to get with and function with people with different views than myself. I tend to hangout with people with different views than me more often than not. I may not want to live there permantly, but would definately love to do so for a few years. But the cost of living is just way too high for s-chmuck like me to make the move.

(Did you guys know you can't say s-chmuck here?)

Old 06-04-2011, 01:49 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
The Muslims in Dearborn are not trying to snatch happy meals out of our chidren's hands and meat off our plates. I'll take Dearborn.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:08 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Yes - I support allowing people to hold and live by their own religious beliefs - even if I strong disagree with those beliefs and they believe I'm some sort of evil, immoral, destructive creature.

All I ask in return is the same courtesy. Unfortunately, a lot of people are fundamentally religious and want to force their religion upon everybody. In this country, it's mostly conservative Christians who do that (they make gay sex illegal, they make it illegal to sell liquor on Sundays, they base civil marriage contracts on Christian theology, etc, etc, etc).

Certainly there are fundamentalist Muslims who want to do the same. I imagine there are fundamentalists Jews and Buddhists and Hindus etc etc etc who would want to do it too. I truly believe that fundamentalist religion is the greatest threat to freedom and American values.

That said, there are many, many, many devoutly religious people who don't hold to this kind of fundamentalism and theocratic way of thinking. They have a live-and-let-live, freedom loving attitude. That includes many Muslims. I'm typing this response from my childhood home (my parents are in Alaska and I'm dog sitting). Just down the street is the largest Mosque in the state of Colorado. I went to elementary, middle, and high school with 100s of Muslims who attended/attend that Mosque.

I'm still friends with some of them today (I graduated high school in 2000). They don't care that I'm an atheist. They're all varying degrees of devout (like adherents of any religion), but none of them want to impost Sharia or other Muslim traditions on me or anybody else. They don't care that I'm gay. All of my Muslim friends actually support gay rights - even the ones that consider my homosexuality sinful. They understand and believe in the freedom, including separation of Church and State, America stands for.
There is a significant difference between western religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) and eastern "religions" (Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism). First and foremost, eastern "religions" are not really religions in the same sense as those are in the west. They are a philosophy of how to live one's life, with no divine entities being involved. No faith is required with the eastern philosophies, either you agree with their precepts or you do not. Which also explains why you never hear about "religious" wars involving eastern "religions." The most fundamentalist Buddhist or Taoist is introverted, and the least likely to harm anyone in any way. Whereas, at least with Christianity and Islam, the more fundamentalist of them feel compelled to force their beliefs on others.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:16 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The Muslims in Dearborn are not trying to snatch happy meals out of our chidren's hands and meat off our plates. I'll take Dearborn.
YET! Once they make up a certain percentage of the population then they'll begin trying to enforce their sharia laws on non-Muslims.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:20 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
YET! Once they make up a certain percentage of the population then they'll begin trying to enforce their sharia laws on non-Muslims.
And is that worse than gays recruiting children into their lifestyle and forcing everybody everybody else to be gay too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies