Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Conservatives: If Forced To Choose, Would You Live in San Fransisco or Dearborn?
Dearborn 17 27.42%
San Fransisco 45 72.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
No, both those cities would be fine for liberals...

You'd have to pick somewhere like Ogden, Utah, but even there I've known fairly liberal folks who lived there for the skiing. Maybe some big Republican suburb...I don't know what it would be however.
When you start getting into cities that are larger than a quarter million in size, you begin to get a much larger liberal population. Conservatives typically prefer the suburbs or smaller more rural communities. It is unclear whether liberals gravitate toward large cities, or are the result of living in large cities, or both, but that is where you will find the vast majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 02:42 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If I can live among Christians, I can live among Muslims. As far as San Francisco is concerned, I would not live within 1,000 miles of that hell-hole. The day the "Big One" strikes California and completely wipes San Francisco from the face of the planet is the same day I will be dancing in the streets.
Sounds like you'd prefer Dearborn so you can join the Muslim shariaists dancing in the streets at the deaths of Americans.

Wow your post is unbelievable.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:44 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
No, both those cities would be fine for liberals...

You'd have to pick somewhere like Ogden, Utah, but even there I've known fairly liberal folks who lived there for the skiing. Maybe some big Republican suburb...I don't know what it would be however.
Colorado Springs
Topeka
Oklahoma City

I took a road trip from Denver to Dallas last year. I was totally shocked when I drove through Oklahoma City at night and saw that the lights in the largest buildings (all of them) are lite up in the form of giant Christian crosses.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:46 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,357 times
Quote:
So what would be the equivalent liberal conundrum?

Birmingham Alabama vs. Anchorage Alaska?
The thing with conservatives is we're not packed into little enclaves like liberals are. There's dozens of places in the country where liberals could go years without encountering any real life conservatives. Madison, San Francisco, Dearborn, Manhattan, Southside Chicago, Cambridge, DC, etc. That would be impossible for a conservative. There's very few places that are more than two thirds conservative. Conservatives encounter liberals almost daily; the reverse is not true for millions of liberals.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:48 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
The thing with conservatives is we're not packed into little enclaves like liberals are. There's dozens of places in the country where liberals could go years without encountering any real life conservatives. Madison, San Francisco, Dearborn, Manhattan, Southside Chicago, Cambridge, DC, etc. That would be impossible for a conservative. On the other hand, there's very few places that are more than two thirds conservative. Conservatives encounter liberals almost daily; the reverse is not true for millions of liberals.
Very good point, and considering self identified liberals are a much smaller group, this is an interesting phenomenon. I think it is likely that they are much less tolerant of conservative views than conservatives are of liberal views. That is what I have observed in the NYC area.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
The thing with conservatives is we're not packed into little enclaves like liberals are. There's dozens of places in the country where liberals could go years without encountering any real life conservatives. Madison, San Francisco, Dearborn, Manhattan, Southside Chicago, Cambridge, DC, etc. That would be impossible for a conservative. On the other hand, there's very few places that are more than two thirds conservative. Conservatives encounter liberals almost daily; the reverse is not true for millions of liberals.
While in a large city, that is certainly true. However, once you get out into the country-side, those proportions change significantly. As any election map broken down by county/borough/parish shows, the vast majority of conservatives live in small rural communities, whereas the vast majority of liberals live in large population centers.

It is in keeping with both of their underlying philosophy. Conservatives want less government involvement in their daily lives, so they live where government is the least intrusive - in less densely populated, more rural areas. Whereas, liberals want more government involvement in their daily lives, so they live where government is concentrated the most - in more densely populated large urban areas.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Colorado Springs
Topeka
Oklahoma City

I took a road trip from Denver to Dallas last year. I was totally shocked when I drove through Oklahoma City at night and saw that the lights in the largest buildings are lite up in the form of giant Christian crosses.
Even these cities voted ~40% Obama. They don't compare to places like San Francisco and Dearborn that vote ~95% one way.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
While in a large city, that is certainly true. However, once you get out into the country-side, those proportions change significantly. As any election map broken down by county/borough/parish shows, the vast majority of conservatives live in small rural communities, whereas the vast majority of liberals live in large population centers.

It is in keeping with both of their underlying philosophy. Conservatives want less government involvement in their daily lives, so they live where government is the least intrusive - in less densely populated, more rural areas. Whereas, liberals want more government involvement in their daily lives, so they live where government is concentrated the most - in more densely populated large urban areas.
Kind of but if you compare counties, there are very few counties in the country that voted over 70% for McCain. The few that did are likely a tiny percentage of the number of conservatives in this country. The majority of conservatives live in suburban areas or small cities that are around 50-60% Republican. On the other hand, I would say a very large number of liberals live in counties that voted over 70%, 80% or even over 90% for Obama. It would be interesting if someone could dig up the statistics on this.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Even these cities voted ~40% Obama. They don't compare to places like San Francisco and Dearborn that vote ~95% one way.
This is an election map of the lower-48 for 2008, broken down not just by county/borough/parish, but also shaded to reflect the percentage.

The highest concentration of liberals are always in the large population centers, and the highest concentration of conservatives are always in more rural areas.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
This is an election map of the lower-48 for 2008, broken down not just by county/borough/parish, but also shaded to reflect the percentage.

The highest concentration of liberals are always in the large population centers, and the highest concentration of conservatives are always in more rural areas.
Yes, rural area vote heavily Republican but they're very sparsely populated. I doubt the amount of conservatives living in heavily conservative rural counties is more than 10% of the total number of conservatives in the country. The percentage of liberals living in heavily liberal counties is much higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies