Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:26 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,564 times

Advertisements

1. Eliminate all corporate taxes - they just get passed on to consumers in the form of higher prices.
2. Make Made In The USA a priority - give companies an incentive to produce goods at home. Forbid the import of goods made by child or slave labor.
3. Eliminate outsourcing wherever possible.
4. Stop importing oil - we have enough here at home to last over 200 years. Import only if the price is lower than what it costs to refine our own.
5. Bring back the gold standard, or use some other valuable commodity.
6. Eliminate the national debt and pass laws that forbid borrowing except in a very few cases.
a. Sell or lease prime government real estate. The Feds don't need beachfront property - they can move to the less desirable parts of the country.
b. Legalize drugs and tax them heavily, but not so much that illegal sources are cheaper.
c. A nation-wide lottery benefiting the debt - perhaps tied to voluntary payroll deductions (a buck or so a week).
7. Stop being the world's police force. We can't afford the trillions it costs to keep peace in the middle east. We should pull out and forget they exist. We don't bother them, they won't bother us. It's called isolationism.
8. Eliminate foreign aid. We can't afford to help ourselves, why should we send billions overseas? If private charities want to help, it's their right. We shouldn't use tax payer money for it.
9. The high cost of medical care is due to the cost of obtaining a medical degree (doctors spend years paying off those high student loans) and malpractice insurance. Subsides the cost of school (free tuition and books in exchange for a few years working at a free clinic) and reform the legal system and the cost of medical care should drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 01:08 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
We have a very strong rule-of-law in this country, as do virtually all developed countries, and that has helped attract businesses. The cost of doing business, furthermore, is also not very high in the US (despite the beliefs of so many Americans). The problem is that our own wealth has made us uncompetitive in a lot of manufacturing industries that once helped drive our economy. We won't gain that competitiveness back, not in those sectors, not as long as we remain a wealthy, developed country. As such, the real thing that we need is to make the desire to start up businesses in entirely new, high-tech sectors is imperative. We need to provide much more money for innovation, for R&D. We need to have job retraining programs coupled with unemployment benefit programs to help train those who are unemployed for the 'jobs of the future.' We need to subsidize high-tech industries (such as the 'Green Sector Industries' which are becoming popular in several developed countries) that we can develop a comparative advantage in. Our problem is we are clinging to jobs and industries that simply can't work efficiently in a fully developed, modernized, rich country like the US. We need to be focused on transitioning to new industries instead.

We haven't been rich for decades, and we just did a trillion borrowed dollars worth of that R&D into "green energy", worker retaining, tech-industry subsidies and the like. With unemployment back up to 9.1% and at GDP 1.8%, what now?

What new sectors shall we invest in which will not be taken over by China five minutes after the technology is perfected?

What jobs shall workers be retrained for when are exports are too expensive for the rest of the world to purchase?

Liberals have been making the same arguments since the 1970s.

When has this approach ever worked?

If we can't do what we used to do and earn a profit, we'll never make a profit doing something new.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:13 AM

272 posts, read 484,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Bust unions.
There are federal laws now on the books to protect workers rights.
LMAO. Bust unions in favor of federal laws protecting workers rights. Just when I thought I've heard it all.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:22 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,300,507 times
Not with the government controlling every aspect of business we wont.

I owned and operated a successful small business and built it to 27 employees through working 16-20 hour days for years and sometimes working 24+ hours in a row without stopping to get orders done.

So I know when government gets involved they will not only over tax you and over regulate you but will charge you for everything under the sun, taking or stealing profits that you could expand your business with.

I am all for the United States getting back to being an industrialized country. Sure we need to do things smarter, better, quicker and with the use of technology but it will be a start.

Without it, we will never ever return to the glory days.

When every single person who wants to work can find a job then and only then will we be able to see the end of the tunnel.

Those days were during the Reagan years, when you could find a job or two any day of the week. Then we lost our way and starting going down hill.

Time to get to work on seeing how we can make our own goods, make them reasonable so people can afford them and we need to start by ending the imports of ALL FOODS that we can grow right here. We need to start drilling our own oil right here and that will give people jobs. We need to stop over taxing companies who hire and give those who do breaks as they continue to hire.

This admin is hell bent on stopping the growth of any small business and that needs to change.

The economy is going no where with this current admin being such a hater of small business growth.

And last but not least we need people to stop sucking off of others, personal responsibility needs to be demanded. No more free rides. If you can work you need to earn your own food, housing etc. If you cannot get to work then we need those on welfare to do something to earn their free ride. They need to take the school buses to school as they pass by their homes and work in the kitchen or anywhere they are needed. Anyone on welfare should get a health screening to see if they are healthy enough to work, if they are they can paint lines on road, cut grass or something to earn their free ride.

No more free rides for anyone who is healthy enough to earn their keep.

60% of us cannot feed, house and take care of the 40% of us who do not earn their own keep.

Edited to add:

Unions kill good jobs, they stop the growth of a business with their demands and power. We need to find a way to stop the workers from running the business and let the business run themselves. If the workers were so damn smart they would not be working for someone else now would they?

Old 06-05-2011, 01:29 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Can't do anything positive when under huge debt that grows daily.

And boy is that an understatement. Growing larger by the day, nothing positive going to happen, with a debt as the one we are expereincing. And appears, those in power, simply can care less, although they will have us try and believe the contrary.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Good point-

He is doing nothing to solve the economic problem, therefore we should probably dump him. The other eight points I listed as well are a direct result of his policies, which have adversely affected the economy. Obama is not only weak, he is misguided.
I agree with you, what the hell is he doing to get us back on track, Nienta. History shows, that people vote the same idiots back in office, who got us in trouble to begin with. We the people are our own worse enemies, some people never learn. This economy will continue to go downhill not uphill.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Bascail;ly we spent our way into it by policies that allowed reckless credit spending. Created a buubkle based on no mnaey to pay fopr it. We got use to post war conditio that leaft us as the world producer with litle competition. We keep promising people more free stuff without them contributing to the GDP to pay for it.Too many dependent on too few.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:44 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,573,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAguy View Post
Didn't Republicans control Congress for most of Clinton's years as president?
yes!!! they did, just goes to show some people despite all their college knowledge. really don't know anything. but just regurgitated what their liberal professor indoctrinated them with!!! we like to call them useful idiots!

Old 06-05-2011, 04:20 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,417,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Good point-

He is doing nothing to solve the economic problem, therefore we should probably dump him. The other eight points I listed as well are a direct result of his policies, which have adversely affected the economy. Obama is not only weak, he is misguided.
I knew it all along about him not doing much of a job in office before he got elected. All that "change" crap was just to have an uproar from the American citizens to vote for himwhich is one of the reasons why I didn't vote for him neither Dick Chaney because I didn't believe both for them but I was leaning toward Chaney. AND(no offense and not to be racist but I will tell it like it is), most people voted for him because he's black and the rest of the black population voted him in because of that, and along with that(keep in mind that I'm black but not as biased) my family members and relatives always defends him regardless of whether he does a good job or not. Now I will however give him points on staying cool while under pressure.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:43 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,438,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Do you even freaking realize what people "advise" Obama on economic policy?
His "council of economic advisors" maybe?

What do I win?

Quote:
It's not your layman you seem to think your fellow democrats in power are for but it is the head honchos at some of the largest companies around.
You seem to think that I seem to think it would be guys off the assembly line.

Quote:
Now they're whispering in the ear of Obama what rules and regulations should be put into working order because they're there for you. In fact they're standing behind you and they don't even have Vaseline.

What are you so afraid of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies