Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Lol, in the posters fathers opinion, Obama is trying to destroy the country as it exists today. That opinion is as valid as saying Ryan wants to destroy Medicare as it exists today.

The point being, anyone who wants to make fundamental change to anything (the country or a particular aspect of the country) will be accused of destruction. It only depends on who's ox is being gored as to your opinion of that positions validity.
No, what my father is saying is that President Obama is trying to destroy the country outright. I fear that others I've seen post here and I've talked with are sharing the same opinion, but simply because they are on the other side of the political aisle.

What proof does anyone have that the President has committed treason? Changing law, the constitution, or anything like that isn't treason. Declaring martial law, and ending the constitution completely without law to do so, and then declaring oneself king would be destroying the nation.

Call me crazy, I don't remember the last President or the current doing the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 08:29 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, what my father is saying is that President Obama is trying to destroy the country outright. I fear that others I've seen post here and I've talked with are sharing the same opinion, but simply because they are on the other side of the political aisle.

What proof does anyone have that the President has committed treason? Changing law, the constitution, or anything like that isn't treason. Declaring martial law, and ending the constitution completely without law to do so, and then declaring oneself king would be destroying the nation.

Call me crazy, I don't remember the last President or the current doing the same thing.
It really is no more crazy than saying Ryan wants to destroy Medicare. You seem to want to avoid the analogy, but it is dead on. Yes I realize that Medicare is not the country. If you understand what an analogy is you will understand the comparison I am making.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:45 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Had a similar situation at a baby shower recently. The wife of a nephew spouting off Beck quotes and hardline "Christian" rightwing beliefs. She even went so far as to loudly comment that she would be ashamed if her child were to become pregnant outside of marriage within hearing of my 40 year old neice who is expecting her first child but, is unmarried. Now the expectant mother owns her own home, works two jobs and the father of the child is the same man she's been with for over ten years. They were to marry years ago but, he called it off two weeks before because he had "cold feet". He's a decent enough guy but, has some maturity issues, he does not live with her, and she has no plans to marry him now as he is a "Peter Pan". The pregnancy wasn't planned but, at 40 years old, if she chose not to have the child, chances are she never would have one. Sometimes people need to be a bit reasonable and have conversations instead of blindly giving sermons.
This and OP's post are classic example of how fox news has infiltrated the american people. I do admit, they do a brilliant job of spreading their propaganda and right wing rhetoric. They "dumb down" what they are talking about, use simple, short segments, bright flashy colors, "high energy" sound effects and bleach blonde bimbos to get the message across. They pray on the most simple of human emotions, hate and fear. People like Beck were successful by making people think they are learning something by just watching his show, instead of going out and reading a book. Learning and understanding politics isn't something that's easy, but fox news makes it simple and spreads their lies through it.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:47 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,554 times
Quote:
Went on vacation for a week, which I must say I needed badly.

But nevertheless, I went home to visit the family. Everything went great, I enjoyed myself, but last night before I left my father and I started our usual political argument. We've got to get one in every time we meet, its just what we do.

My dad used to be a democrat. Then about 10 years ago he started watching Fox news. Suddenly he switched his party to Republican, and is a die hard Glenn Beck/O'Reily watcher.

He used to actually reason, and I actually enjoyed our debates quite a bit. We agree on a lot of things. Then suddenly yesterday out comes "I believe the President and his party are purposely trying to destroy the country". Not destroying it with what they think will work, not ignoring the situation, but purposely trying to sabotage the country.

I heard the same damn thing from many of my Democratic friends during the Bush administration. Now I've made no bones about it, I think that President Bush shoulders the majority of the blame for the beginning of the financial crisis, or at least for not doing anything to control spending during his administration. But never did I say that they were destroying the economy and country on purpose.

I believe that the Bush administration did what they thought was the best. I believe that they felt that lying about Iraq WMD's was for the best, as it surrounded Iran and he was trying to stop another terrorist attack, regardless of how stupid that lie was.

Why is it that people can't say that the other guy isn't trying to screw everyone on purpose. Paul Ryan may be trying to destroy Medicare, but its because he thinks that doing so is good for the country. You may differ with that opinion, but that doesn't make him or you a traitor.

I just don't get it. How can we get to a place where we all agree we are all Americans, and doing what we think is best, but being able to disagree on the policy without demonizing the person?
You know darn well that this is all about your ideology because your post was and is nothing but progressive rhetoric and nothing more. Thanks for trying though, just not a good enough try is all.

BTW, you have no idea what you posted about when it comes to Ryan's plan. It isn't out to destroy anything and that one sentence was and is enough to show your demonizing you like to do.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Obama put the country at war (with Libya) without the approval of Congress.
Now did he have the right ? That is debatable as Libya did not attack us and we were not defending ourselves.
60 days came and went. Has Congress given approval to continue ? Again that is debatable as the Resolutions passed by Congress only ask the President to explain what he's doing (they had 60 days to do this but waited 70+ ). They did not approve and the one Resolution that said "Stop and get out now" failed.

So it seems odd that the President can step over the line "a little bit" and Congress does nothing.
The checks and balances that the branches are supposed to have are getting blurred and few in DC are speaking up.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 AM

858 posts, read 707,754 times
The political thinking that scares me the most is the idea that my party is always right and that party is always wrong. If someone walks into a voting booth and votes strictly down party lines, you're not helping. If a congressman votes strictly with his party, he's not helping either. There seems to be no independent thinking...which may play into the fox news discussion as well. People and congressmen seem to be looking towards outside influences rather than determining their position themselves.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:25 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Your dad is more right than wrong. Both parties are controlled by the same power brokers and their goal is to restructure american society and to weaken it so its easier to manipulate. Obama and Bush have virtually identical policies and both have their agendas dictated to them. They differ somewhat on political rhetoric and social issues but 90% of that is just talk and empty promises. People that only see the other party as the enemy but ignore their own parties identical behavior are the ones we need to try to reach out to and get them to see reason.
Your dads political thinking should scare you. But instead of disagreeing with him and dismissing him, try to open your mind a little and take a good look around without the blinders of politics on.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:36 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Went on vacation for a week, which I must say I needed badly.

But nevertheless, I went home to visit the family. Everything went great, I enjoyed myself, but last night before I left my father and I started our usual political argument. We've got to get one in every time we meet, its just what we do.

My dad used to be a democrat. Then about 10 years ago he started watching Fox news. Suddenly he switched his party to Republican, and is a die hard Glenn Beck/O'Reily watcher.

He used to actually reason, and I actually enjoyed our debates quite a bit. We agree on a lot of things. Then suddenly yesterday out comes "I believe the President and his party are purposely trying to destroy the country". Not destroying it with what they think will work, not ignoring the situation, but purposely trying to sabotage the country.

I heard the same damn thing from many of my Democratic friends during the Bush administration. Now I've made no bones about it, I think that President Bush shoulders the majority of the blame for the beginning of the financial crisis, or at least for not doing anything to control spending during his administration. But never did I say that they were destroying the economy and country on purpose.

I believe that the Bush administration did what they thought was the best. I believe that they felt that lying about Iraq WMD's was for the best, as it surrounded Iran and he was trying to stop another terrorist attack, regardless of how stupid that lie was.

Why is it that people can't say that the other guy isn't trying to screw everyone on purpose. Paul Ryan may be trying to destroy Medicare, but its because he thinks that doing so is good for the country. You may differ with that opinion, but that doesn't make him or you a traitor.

I just don't get it. How can we get to a place where we all agree we are all Americans, and doing what we think is best, but being able to disagree on the policy without demonizing the person?
Animals don't like being fooled, or, they just aren't into it.

Humans don't like being fooled because they believe, generally, that it is not in their best interests.

And, usually, its not.

Usually, it is a betrayal.

In America, most belief is by choice.

People adopt beliefs that they believe benefits them the most, and this seems to be the only, or main, criteria for their selection.

Any person who can believe that the WMD's in Iraq story was a lie, but adamantly believe the official report that 911 wasn't an inside job, has simply chosen the wardrobe believed to benefit that person the most. Few people walk around naked. Most people walk around clothed in their beliefs.

Belief, for the most part, is a clothing selection purposed with accentuating the "positive" and concealing the negative, as regards what benefits most the wearer of said.

Be careful what you wear, you might attract annoyance, or worse.

Vanity is fear supported.

Most people seem to think that "belief" is merely the past tense of think.

People who "think" this, are confused - by their inability to think.

As usual, of late, I've begun the morning with red wine and coffee.

Last edited by ergohead; 06-05-2011 at 08:52 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 08:45 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Neoconservativism is what scares me the most.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:56 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,065 times
I believe people lacking the ability to think for themselves are more dangerous then any government or political party. Freedom is something that has really been taken advantage of, and abused by almost all Americans. The scary part is that its preventable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies