Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:04 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times

Advertisements

There you have it, Memphis. Ask a valid question and the usual suspects show up to attack both you and your writing skills...which are just fine. So often a liberal post or thread goes up and then several people come with nothing intelligent or relevant to add; they aren't sharp enough to realize how obvious it is that they're only out to try to belittle and stifle others. It's one more bit of proof that they don't have the intellect to engage in a clean debate. To quote U2: "...And in the world a heart of darkness, a fire zone, where poets speak their hearts then bleed for it." It's like a group of toothless old sharks trying to gum you to death...pathetic. Keep fighting the good fight, because love will always win over hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 09:09 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Had a similar situation at a baby shower recently. The wife of a nephew spouting off Beck quotes and hardline "Christian" rightwing beliefs. She even went so far as to loudly comment that she would be ashamed if her child were to become pregnant outside of marriage within hearing of my 40 year old neice who is expecting her first child but, is unmarried. Now the expectant mother owns her own home, works two jobs and the father of the child is the same man she's been with for over ten years. They were to marry years ago but, he called it off two weeks before because he had "cold feet". He's a decent enough guy but, has some maturity issues, he does not live with her, and she has no plans to marry him now as he is a "Peter Pan". The pregnancy wasn't planned but, at 40 years old, if she chose not to have the child, chances are she never would have one. Sometimes people need to be a bit reasonable and have conversations instead of blindly giving sermons.

Political discussions of either stripe in family get togethers is always less than pleasant. It simply ruins otherwise enjoyable get togethers. In our family, we have a few libs who always want to "persuade" you to their line of thinking. Rarely, if ever, is anyone going to change thier lifetime views, so the "efforts" are irritating and pointless.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Had a similar situation at a baby shower recently. The wife of a nephew spouting off Beck quotes and hardline "Christian" rightwing beliefs. She even went so far as to loudly comment that she would be ashamed if her child were to become pregnant outside of marriage within hearing of my 40 year old neice who is expecting her first child but, is unmarried. Now the expectant mother owns her own home, works two jobs and the father of the child is the same man she's been with for over ten years. They were to marry years ago but, he called it off two weeks before because he had "cold feet". He's a decent enough guy but, has some maturity issues, he does not live with her, and she has no plans to marry him now as he is a "Peter Pan". The pregnancy wasn't planned but, at 40 years old, if she chose not to have the child, chances are she never would have one. Sometimes people need to be a bit reasonable and have conversations instead of blindly giving sermons.
Thats messed up, my dad and I would never argue about politics in front of the rest of the family or at a "gathering". Usually ours is at his house, on the porch when its just me and him.

My dad said he was going to watch the Glenn Beck network that is supposed to be in the works. That really scares the hell out of me.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:38 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Political discussions of either stripe in family get togethers is always less than pleasant. It simply ruins otherwise enjoyable get togethers. In our family, we have a few libs who always want to "persuade" you to their line of thinking. Rarely, if ever, is anyone going to change thier lifetime views, so the "efforts" are irritating and pointless.
Exactly. Family is family and should be more important than political ideology. It's nice to have discussions with those that are willing, conversations can be enlightening and broaden ones perspective but, to purposely belittle another over religion, politics or other beliefs is wrong. (IMO)

Old 06-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
You know darn well that this is all about your ideology because your post was and is nothing but progressive rhetoric and nothing more. Thanks for trying though, just not a good enough try is all.

BTW, you have no idea what you posted about when it comes to Ryan's plan. It isn't out to destroy anything and that one sentence was and is enough to show your demonizing you like to do.
No, Ryans plan does change medicare completely from the system it is today. He would give those under the age of 55 a voucher so that they could purchase private insurance. This would remove the medicare price rebates that it currently enjoys, which would make the private medical insurance cost more than medicare. So you may get a voucher for the same amount of money that the government is already spending on you, but it will get you less. Its kind of like putting 50 dollars of gas in a Prius, and a Mustang. The Prius is going further. Thus, it destroys medicare as it currently exists. That isn't destroying the country though.

The reason, as of late, that my attacks have been against the GOP is because they won't compromise. When was the last time that 90% of the elected Democrats in congress say they wanted to only raise taxes, and no spending cuts? Never. Republicans want to only cut, and never raise taxes though. Where is the middle ground?

Regardless of that, Republicans aren't trying to destroy the country. They are doing what they think they have to, in order to change the country to work right. I may disagree with how they want to do it, but I will never say they are purposely trying to destroy the nation, or commit treason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Obama put the country at war (with Libya) without the approval of Congress.
Now did he have the right ? That is debatable as Libya did not attack us and we were not defending ourselves.
60 days came and went. Has Congress given approval to continue ? Again that is debatable as the Resolutions passed by Congress only ask the President to explain what he's doing (they had 60 days to do this but waited 70+ ). They did not approve and the one Resolution that said "Stop and get out now" failed.

So it seems odd that the President can step over the line "a little bit" and Congress does nothing.
The checks and balances that the branches are supposed to have are getting blurred and few in DC are speaking up.
Every President since Roosevelt has done the same thing. The constitution hasn't been followed to the letter since Washington was in office, and it wasn't followed then. I'd like for us to have a more constructional view of the country. But whether you vote democrat or republican, the interpretive view is going to be done.

If the President has overstepped his bounds, its your job to tell your congressman to stop him. If they don't, then vote for someone else. If you vote for a Republican that didn't raise charges against the current or last President, then you have no right to complain.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:50 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Originally posted by hawkeye2009
I guess that means there may be hope for you yet! Don't despair.

Those "discussions" would never occur in my house, as liberals are not allowed there. As a result, family gatherings (younger brother and sister are libs) cannot occur in our home, despite it being the largest. Libs are just a pain in social settings and it is best to simply ban them such that they do not ruin an otherwise entertaining event by discussing politics and being "offended". I have had too many good meals ruined by angry liberals just wanting to tell me exactly what they think and feel. When there is turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, and champagne to be consumed, I really do not want to hear about some line of BS. We just leave when they start to get fired up (which always happens)- it makes things alot easier

The problem isn't the liberals, it's you. You say liberals get offended at family discussions. In other words, you are not open to another person's opinions or feelings. Be honest, I'd bet you even say things just to upset them. You don't want to hear their complaints, yet here you are forcing us to listen to yours. You are, in my view, a typical staunch conservative who will not compromise on anything, something which relates well to what the OP was describing.

If we all adopt a my-way-or-the-highway mindset, there's going to be a lot of traffic out there.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:04 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
I just don't get it. How can we get to a place where we all agree we are all Americans, and doing what we think is best, but being able to disagree on the policy without demonizing the person?

A good start would be to turn off the tv and find a better source for your information and news. All the news channels have an agenda and be it right wing or left wing decides what they say. Just look at who the owners of the networks are and research there background. That will tell you what they are trying to push. My tv is mainly for sports because it is a terrible place to get news or ideas.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:05 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Seems every good family has a few diehard libs to keep things stirred up. I vow every Turkey Day NOT to spend with the turkies. My task is to just be pleasant and stay on those trite conversations involving the weather and the latest great sale. Those banal areas haven't been politicized...yet.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
I just don't get it. How can we get to a place where we all agree we are all Americans, and doing what we think is best, but being able to disagree on the policy without demonizing the person?

A good start would be to turn off the tv and find a better source for your information and news. All the news channels have an agenda and be it right wing or left wing decides what they say. Just look at who the owners of the networks are and research there background. That will tell you what they are trying to push. My tv is mainly for sports because it is a terrible place to get news or ideas.
I generally get my news from the web, the paper, and occasionally the TV. My fathers only source is Fox News. Since that has been the case, his knowledge of the political world and whats really going on in the country has changed.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

If the President has overstepped his bounds, its your job to tell your congressman to stop him. If they don't, then vote for someone else. If you vote for a Republican that didn't raise charges against the current or last President, then you have no right to complain.
Well I often wonder how many emails actually get through to reps.
All I ever get are automated responses telling me how hard they are working for me up in DC.

I vote for the person, not the party. Sadly I'm not in Ron Paul's district..I wish I were though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies