Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Red light camera's, your opinion
Yes, I support red light cameras and want more road cameras enforcing all traffic laws 12 17.39%
I support some traffic light situations, but common sense should be used 15 21.74%
No, traffic cameras infringe on free thinking in traffic situations that police can distinguish 42 60.87%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Would you be opposed to someone going 50-60 mph in a school zone, as long as they are not hurting anyone? There are speed limits for a reason and that reason is to keep people from driving recklessly on the road wether they think they are or not. I'm sure there are people out there who could feel comfortable driving 60 in the school zone.

As for the Red light cameras, I have never had a problem with them and I don't know anyone who has had a problem with them. I am sure they have taken pictures of my car many times (it has flashed at the intersection I have been at) but I have never gotten a ticket, even while going more than 2 over the speed limit, crossing the white line by over a foot at times, and running a yellow light. I don't think that every time the camera takes a picture its another ticket, because otherwise I would have gotten a ticket. I think it may just be programmed to look out for those things and then the people writing the tickets use proper judgement.
Nope, if no one was hurt, then there is no foul to punish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 04:18 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So we would just allow that to happen until half a dozen or so kids are killed by a driver who didn't have time to stop at a cross walk? Or do we realize that it probably isn't the smartest or the safest thing in the world to be driving that fast when kids are just on the side of the road waiting to cross?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
So we would just allow that to happen until half a dozen or so kids are killed by a driver who didn't have time to stop at a cross walk? Or do we realize that it probably isn't the smartest or the safest thing in the world to be driving that fast when kids are just on the side of the road waiting to cross?
Yep, then make the punishment so severe that no one would dare do it again.

Here is the thing that you are missing. In a free country you are expected to do whats right without the law. 99.9% of the people that you know would slow down during a school zone, simply because its the right thing to do. But if someone is doing 25 in a 15mph zone, and they don't hurt anyone, why should they be punished?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:24 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
I guess we shouldn't enforce DUI laws either unless somebody gets hurt

Old 06-06-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I guess we shouldn't enforce DUI laws either unless somebody gets hurt
Nope, if someone has three beers at the bar, and drives all the way to their street and then gets pulled over for a license plate light out, why should they go to jail, probably lose their job, family, home, and be a outcast to the rest of society.

The problem with DUI's, is you hear about the ones that get caught, but never hear about the countless people who drove home just fine.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Yep, then make the punishment so severe that no one would dare do it again.

Here is the thing that you are missing. In a free country you are expected to do whats right without the law. 99.9% of the people that you know would slow down during a school zone, simply because its the right thing to do. But if someone is doing 25 in a 15mph zone, and they don't hurt anyone, why should they be punished?
Bold: Wow, just wow is all I have to say that. I really hope you don't have children because *** forbid one of those children were yours (or more than one).

Red: So can I assume you would be all for anarchism? After all it would be a free country (as free as you can be) and it would be expected that everyone would act right, correct?

Lots of people out there will do as much as they can get away with. If there were no speed laws people would be testing themselves much more, there would be people racing to work (with their mind on getting to work on time and maybe one day not so much the road), there would be more street racing (especially in less suburban places) regardless of where schools may be. There are a lot of people out there who think they are the best drivers, but it just takes one big accident and people will begin to wonder why we didn't just have speed limits in the first place to help prevent these types of things (I'm speaking as if the world didn't have speed limits here). I'm not willing to endanger the lives of some children in this country just because some joe wants to drive fast no matter where he may be.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Nope, if someone has three beers at the bar, and drives all the way to their street and then gets pulled over for a license plate light out, why should they go to jail, probably lose their job, family, home, and be a outcast to the rest of society.

The problem with DUI's, is you hear about the ones that get caught, but never hear about the countless people who drove home just fine.
Do you realize how many more people would try and drive home tipsy or drunk if they knew they could legally? You really don't care about all the potential lives out there at steak do you?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Bold: Wow, just wow is all I have to say that. I really hope you don't have children because *** forbid one of those children were yours (or more than one).

Red: So can I assume you would be all for anarchism? After all it would be a free country (as free as you can be) and it would be expected that everyone would act right, correct?

Lots of people out there will do as much as they can get away with. If there were no speed laws people would be testing themselves much more, there would be people racing to work (with their mind on getting to work on time and maybe one day not so much the road), there would be more street racing (especially in less suburban places) regardless of where schools may be. There are a lot of people out there who think they are the best drivers, but it just takes one big accident and people will begin to wonder why we didn't just have speed limits in the first place to help prevent these types of things (I'm speaking as if the world didn't have speed limits here). I'm not willing to endanger the lives of some children in this country just because some joe wants to drive fast no matter where he may be.
I've got two kids, and if someone hurt them I would want their head on a stick.

But I've got to ask, if a child walks up to a cross walk, whats wrong with looking? If there is no speed limit, then the child should have the good sense to determine how fast the car is moving thats coming at them, and whether or not to step in front of it.

I just believe that most people will do the right thing, and I don't like government regulations telling me I have to do anything.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Do you realize how many more people would try and drive home tipsy or drunk if they knew they could legally? You really don't care about all the potential lives out there at steak do you?
But if you had an accident, or hurt someone, then you would be prosecuted. Then people could use a better judgement.

But as it stands now, I can't have three beers at the bar and drive home. Three beers won't even get me buzzed, let alone drunk and unable to drive. But if the breathalyzer says that I am over the limit then I'd lose my job, my home, probably my family, etc.

Laws that prohibit behavior that caused no harm are a problem. Punish the consequence, not the possibility.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:44 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:

Oh good lord. There's a guy I went to high school with who I know has at least 3 DUIs. The last one (at least that I heard about) he was driving the wrong way down interstate I-25 just outside downtown Denver.

But he didn't hurt anyone - I guess that makes driving drunk as sunk the wrong way down an interstate highway at night perfectly acceptable behavior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies