Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 05:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
So there aren't ANY minority authors in the rest of the bookstore?

Since you believe white authors make up the other 90%, you would agree that it should be named "Caucasian Author Section" right?
Not that many. That is if they even make it to the bookstore. A lot of people get stopped before even getting published because their book isn't "mainstream" or niche enough. I love reading mysteries and I would love to read a mystery where the main characters were more diverse. Few and far between. I try to buy any book with a diverse set of characters if it is a type I like.

One of my favorite books is Bling by Erica Kennedy. It was pigeonholed as a "black" book but in reality it was a modern Valley of the Dolls. Too bad it wasn't marketed that way. I only heard about it in the black press, but any Jackie Collins fan would have loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
While I'm a Liberal, I always try to make substantive claims, but I will also point out made-up claims that are supposed to provoke, such as yours. This will put you on the same level.

Instead of joining, you should also make substantive claims. Cities in the U.S. are segregated. That's no secret. He wanted to be provocative, and you went for it.
It's also no secret some groups are better off than others. The question here should be, though, what can we do to make it better so that people who are saying this are wrong. A real racist person wouldn't want to change the current situation.
And, of course, this is just an online forum. Lots of talk but no real life action.
I live in a segregated city. Segregated by class. If you look at the media coverage of my city it looks like all the poor people are black and wealthy areas are full of white people. In reality everyone pretty much lives side by side in most neighborhoods. The gangbangers are Latino, black, and Asian.

Half of the neighborhoods (at least) don't even have an ethnic majority.

As a result, you find a lot more people of different ethnicities and income classes out and about in the same places.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:03 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I live in a segregated city. Segregated by class. If you look at the media coverage of my city it looks like all the poor people are black and wealthy areas are full of white people. In reality everyone pretty much lives side by side in most neighborhoods. The gangbangers are Latino, black, and Asian.

No.

Half of the neighborhoods (at least) don't even have an ethnic majority.

As a result, you find a lot more people of different ethnicities and income classes out and about in the same places.
Sure, it might also be segregated by class. But when you have so much poverty in the black community, then that's essentially the same thing. I don't have a solution at my hands, but there is one, obviously. However, there's only lots of fighting going on.
And I do not only think it's really segregated, but the NY Times had a map showing this for many cities. Many people do prefer to live "with their own". That's the same pretty much everywhere. You can't tell people where to move, and I think it's completely irrelevant, too.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:06 PM

390 posts, read 265,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Iceland would be even less diverse, but I doubt they would welcome you.
You never answered my question in my previous post: Where did I say anything racist?

Hint: I didn't, but since you have no argument, you immediately resort to the common fools tactic: Calling someone a racist and hoping they go away.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 PM

390 posts, read 265,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
By the way, your "non-diverse" neighbors are probably running a meth lab next door to you.
Not quite, but you get an F for effort.

Pathetic

Old 08-01-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Sure, it might also be segregated by class. But when you have so much poverty in the black community, then that's essentially the same thing. I don't have a solution at my hands, but there is one, obviously. However, there's only lots of fighting going on.
And I do not only think it's really segregated, but the NY Times had a map showing this for many cities. Many people do prefer to live "with their own". That's the same pretty much everywhere. You can't tell people where to move, and I think it's completely irrelevant, too.
My city is weird. There are affluent majority black neighborhoods too. I can say I live in any part of town, and no one would bat an eye. Whether it is the richest or poorest part.

I think there are lots of problems. But many of them are more "class" than "race." Our focus needs to be on creating opportunities for everyone, rich or poor. (And stop stereotyping the potential achievement of our kids of "color.')

As much as everyone is harping on the stat of single black moms, the numbers say that middle class+ moms white, black and otherwise are married first.

Not sure if you saw this in the NYT a few weeks ago: America's Silent Crisis: The Plight of the Single (Working!) Mother - Gayle Tzemach Lemmon - The Atlantic

Considering how many black women are headed to college, getting everyone working, will help eliminate a lot of problems.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:39 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Anyone?

Why are these schools not considered racist?

Top Colleges & Universities
I'm sure someone by now has pointed out your roaring ignorance to the fact that colleges, like all schools, were segregated in the past, necessitating the building of black colleges.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:46 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Where did I say that? I actually said 90% of the rest of the collection is white authors, which would imply that around 10% are something other than African-American or Caucasian... that was just a random estimate, but your reading comprehension still needs some fine-tuning.

Quote:
Since you believe white authors make up the other 90%, you would agree that it should be named "Caucasian Author Section" right?
No, because the special sections are usually reserved for something that is other than typical - i.e., something that does NOT make up the majority of a collection. But if you really want to open a bookstore and designate a "white author" section, nobody is stopping you! It might look kinda silly, though, to have most of the bookstore labeled as one thing. There is also no designated cataloging category for white authors, although you could maybe separate them by nationality. We do have foreign author sections in some libraries/stores, where you'll find a variety of white-dominant countries represented (like Norway, Sweden, etc).

P.S. In case you weren't aware, I am a professional librarian... so you really don't want to go here with me, LOL.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
While I'm a Liberal, I always try to make substantive claims, but I will also point out made-up claims that are supposed to provoke, such as yours. This will put you on the same level.
It's not "made up" - as I just said above, it was an off-the-cuff estimate, but probably not so far from reality. I work in a LIBRARY, and you're going to question my estimate here? I'm looking at thousands of books daily, and that is around the number of white authors you'll see. But since I never claimed it was an exact number (thought that was implied), there was no need for me to back up such "claims" with statistics. If you really want this to become a scientific debate, I'd be happy to research the actual numbers for you... but again, I thought it was clear I was being facetious. Guess not!

And yes, that does mean I was trying to provoke - just as the OP and many other people here were, so I figured a sarcastic reply was warranted. My point was serious, though, and remains valid whether it's 82% or 90% of most bookstore/library collections that have white authorship. Are you trying to say I'm wrong, and that minority authors make up most of these collections?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:01 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
If I wrote a book - I would be a minority author. See my status - I am a minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies