Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You were unprepared for the intellectual level of students from one of the best universities in the country?

LOL...really?
Howard University College of Law is a "Tier III and IV law school - I was just criticized yesterday for advocating Regent University(a Christian university) School of Law as a good law school. It will be interesting seeing the accessment of a HBCU - especially when many blacks subscribe to Christian morals and values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 02:52 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You were unprepared for the intellectual level of students from one of the best universities in the country?

LOL...really?
Really. I have to confess ignorance.

All I knew about Howard at that time was that they had some of the worst black basketball players I had ever seen.

Oops. Still do....

http://www.howard-bison.com/sports/m...11-12/schedule

Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,484,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's not "made up" - as I just said above, it was an off-the-cuff estimate, but probably not so far from reality. I work in a LIBRARY, and you're going to question my estimate here? I'm looking at thousands of books daily, and that is around the number of white authors you'll see. But since I never claimed it was an exact number (thought that was implied), there was no need for me to back up such "claims" with statistics. If you really want this to become a scientific debate, I'd be happy to research the actual numbers for you... but again, I thought it was clear I was being facetious. Guess not!

And yes, that does mean I was trying to provoke - just as the OP and many other people here were, so I figured a sarcastic reply was warranted. My point was serious, though, and remains valid whether it's 82% or 90% of most bookstore/library collections that have white authorship. Are you trying to say I'm wrong, and that minority authors make up most of these collections?
Didn't know you can tell the race of the author by looking at his or her name.

Anybody who has a good story can sell it in the U.S. If you don't like the way it is, you have to blame the authors.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 AM

1,403 posts, read 936,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Afraid the kids there will mess up your white hood and robe?
Typical liberal response. Obviously you have never lived in "the hood". I have.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Howard University College of Law is a "Tier III and IV law school - I was just criticized yesterday for advocating Regent University(a Christian university) School of Law as a good law school. It will be interesting seeing the accessment of a HBCU - especially when many blacks subscribe to Christian morals and values.
When it comes to Christian morals and values, blacks are no difference than whites....they pay it LIP SERVICE. That's about it.

What that has to do with "assessment" of an HBCU, i have no idea.

All i know is that Howard typically has some pretty bright kids. Hell, most HBCU's regardless of ranking have some pretty sharp kids...just like any university.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Really. I have to confess ignorance.

All I knew about Howard at that time was that they had some of the worst black basketball players I had ever seen.

Oops. Still do....

Howard University 2011-12 Men's Basketball Schedule/Results - Howard Bison
Yea, well, you don't go to Howard to become a pro-baller. You go for the education, the location, the tradition (which is very deep there), and some of the most beautiful women known to man. I went to a homecoming there once, and i'm still shook up from what i saw. Good Gawd...it can make an atheist into a priest.

As for what you expected, i still don't get it. I mean, did you expect the students to rob and kill you or something? LMAO....really, they're COLLEGE STUDENTS. They're generally gonna be at least somewhat ambitious if they're in school.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:23 PM

30,308 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Didn't know you can tell the race of the author by looking at his or her name.
I didn't know that either, which is why I never said any such thing - but I guess when you can't argue with somebody's point, it's easier to switch topics and assume things they never even said.

In case you haven't read a book in a while, most have a photo of the author on the flap. Not to mention, as a librarian and former English major, I am quite familiar with all of the classic AND contemporary popular authors.

Quote:
Anybody who has a good story can sell it in the U.S. If you don't like the way it is, you have to blame the authors.
Again with putting words in my mouth! Who said I have a problem with this? I was merely pointing out a fact, since it was asked why there is no white author section... if I commented on seeing many Japanese cars on the road, does that mean I have a problem with that? Unlikely, considering I drive a Honda.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-02-2012 at 01:58 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Not to mention, as a librarian and former English major, I am quite familiar with all of the classic AND contemporary popular authors.
Did you not earn your degree?

Old 08-02-2012, 01:39 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,523,860 times
Quote:
Fortunately this is not true in most of California - only the heavily populated areas are largely Democratic - if you look at a map of California showing county political results - the state is practically red. There are just a few pockets of solid blue in certain areas and these areas drag the state down(I live in one - but am proud to have voted to make California great once more) and are responsible for our low academic rating.

If only people would register in greater numbers as and vote Republican -we can pull this once great state out of the disaster that the Democrats have made of it.

Why can California have the 7th largest ecomomy in the world(note the contrast between this good point and the rest of my post) and yet never have a balanced budget, be driving businesses and residents to Arizona, Nevada, and Texas, and be ranked near the bottom of U.S. states for education?

We were once the Golden State and now we have Irish residents of London criticizing America because of what they saw in California.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...d-america.html

Blame the Democratic Party in California - their policies have FAILED us - and our children.
Really?
Have other states, try to be next to Mexico like CA and have the weather CA does (TX while it has good weather, doesn't have great, dry weather like most of CA) and see how they turn out.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:53 PM

30,308 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Did you not earn your degree?
I have a Master's degree, so yes I finished college! Did I phrase that wrong? Was I supposed to say I'm still an English major? That makes no sense...

Old 08-02-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I have a Master's degree, so yes I finished college! Did I phrase that wrong? Was I supposed to say I'm still an English major? That makes no sense...
I was just curious - it seemed odd that you wouldn't state that you had a Master's degree - which more accurately describes your qualifications than saying that you once studied English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies