Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:13 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
None of those channels are dedicated to one race like BET is. BET is openly dedicated to black entertainment, never mind the fact that it's owned by a white company so black people who watch it are actually pretty ignorant but it was created and is marketed towards one race of people.

I like Chappelle's Show. Does that make The Comedy Channel racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 11:15 AM

149 posts, read 270,511 times
Maybe the OP should step foot on a HBCU campus and get first hand knowledge of how diversified these schools are.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Oh my gosh! A source of entertainment actually has a target demographic! The HORROR! the world is coming to an end! Save the women and the children!

But on a serious note. BET no longer stands for Black Entertainment Television; Viacom just chose to keep the moniker for brand recognition. Just like Lifetime programming is targeted at a specific sex or Disney programming is targeted at a specific age, BET is targeted at a specific race. If you don't have a target audience then you don't have a product. You can work yourself into a frenzy pretending this has anything to do with equal rights or diversity or black power but at the end of the day it has to do with money,
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Next hes gonna say "Lifetime" is sexist for only catering to women
Look, stop getting hyper dramatic, nobody is saying that you can't have a channel that targets one demographic like BET does. I watch the Speed channel all the time, that's pretty much targeted at only one demographic. My point is that BET is targeted at one race of people while NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, etc doesn't target only white people like many of you people claim they do. There are a lot more white people in the US than black people, if only 20% of the people on FOX or NBC are black that might be because there are less than 20% black people in this country period.

When you pull out the ageless ******* mantra of "We already have White entertainment TV, it's everything else" you sound like a retard repeating whatever you've been told.

Having a channel that targets one demographic is fine, don't try to say that all the media aside from BET targets only white people because that's just F'in stupid.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:22 AM

1,027 posts, read 824,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachgeek View Post
Maybe the OP should step foot on a HBCU campus and get first hand knowledge of how diversified these schools are.

No because black people scare the OP

Old 06-05-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
First of all the original owner of BET was Robert Johnson a Black American. He took BET public and then sold it to Viacom for over a billion dollars.

Actually it was created and marketed toward one CULTURE of people. Also when it was created there were not many television networks that had an interest in putting on televisions shows that were targeted specifically at an audience interested in Black American culture.

Also where is your outrage at Telemundo, Galavision, and other network which specifically targeted Latin American audiences or those that target Asian or South Asian audiences?
Outrage? Where is my outrage towards BET or anything else that we're talking about? This might be a more productive conversation if you didn't take every change you get to manufacture feelings and anger for other people. There could be 100 BETs on cable, I wouldn't give a damn because it doesn't affect me in any way.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I like Chappelle's Show. Does that make The Comedy Channel racist?
I also like the Chappelle Show, I'm not sure where you got racism from but I don't spend my days searching for racism in everything and everyone around me.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:27 AM

1,027 posts, read 824,992 times
Quote:
Look, stop getting hyper dramatic, nobody is saying that you can't have a channel that targets one demographic like BET does. I watch the Speed channel all the time, that's pretty much targeted at only one demographic. My point is that BET is targeted at one race of people while NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, etc doesn't target only white people like many of you people claim they do. There are a lot more white people in the US than black people, if only 20% of the people on FOX or NBC are black that might be because there are less than 20% black people in this country period.

When you pull out the ageless ******* mantra of "We already have White entertainment TV, it's everything else" you sound like a retard repeating whatever you've been told.

Having a channel that targets one demographic is fine, don't try to say that all the media aside from BET targets only white people because that's just F'in stupid.
Blacks should just shut up and be happy to get the scenes for "carjacker" and "pimp"?

First you say blacks just want handouts now they should just be happy being portrayed a certain way.

And as somebody noted Hispanics take no flak for this with their TV stations.

I'm not saying your racist though...

Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Valedictorian from one of those schools. Thread fail, try again

That's certainly interesting but take a look at this gallery of the recent commmencement at Hampton University. It appears that someone needs to step in and force these racists to have a more diverse student body.

Hampton University : 141st Commencement Gallery : Gallery 2

Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I also like the Chappelle Show, I'm not sure where you got racism from but I don't spend my days searching for racism in everything and everyone around me.

Me, either.

But some posts on this thread seem to be more than a little hypersenstive, shall we say...

Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
That's certainly interesting but take a look at this gallery of the recent commmencement at Hampton University. It appears that someone needs to step in and force these racists to have a more diverse student body.

Hampton University : 141st Commencement Gallery : Gallery 2

Maybe it's up to tapebreakers like you to apply and enroll in these schools to show 'em how's it's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies