Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

Lets start from this point,why DO disabled people have special parking at the front if,as disabled people do like to say,they are just like everyone else?

Do you know that most urinals are now too short for most able men to use efficiently,all so disabled men(actually only a portion of disabled men) are catered to?

What seems lost on disabled people is that to be equal to everyone else means you cannot then get special laws just for you and special facilities.

Do you know that the ADA expanded the definition of disabled from the 4-5% of what we would consider the traditional disabled(deaf,blind wheelchair bound,etc) to now cover around 50+ million Americans,most with a mental disorder?
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_59643259/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:28 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Lets start from this point,why DO disabled people have special parking at the front if,as disabled people do like to say,they are just like everyone else?
Because they physically, logistically cannot make use of traditional parking spaces.

Quote:
Do you know that most urinals are now too short for most able men to use efficiently,all so disabled men(actually only a portion of disabled men) are catered to?
Was this really done with disabled people in mind? Or is it a coincidence that urinal measurements happen to be more suited to a portion of disabled men? Isn't the fact that they are suited only to a portion of the disabled population not telling?

Quote:
What seems lost on disabled people is that to be equal to everyone else means you cannot then get special laws just for you and special facilities.
What seems lost on the able-bodied is that to be equal to everyone else, the disabled need accommodations. This is because they cannot carry out every day tasks in the same way as the able-bodied. They are equal in that they can carry out the same tasks--with accommodations. They are not equal in the sense that they need accommodations to carry out the same tasks.

Quote:
Do you know that the ADA expanded the definition of disabled from the 4-5% of what we would consider the traditional disabled(deaf,blind wheelchair bound,etc) to now cover around 50+ million Americans,most with a mental disorder?
ADA's Good Intentions Have Unintended Consequences | Insight on the News Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET
Yes, I did know that.

I agree that mentally and psychologically handicapped people should not be given accommodations that are designed for physical disabilities. They need separate accommodations relating to the nature of their disabilities.

I also agree that the number of handicapped parking spaces required per total parking spaces is completely overestimated because people with mental and psychological handicaps are figured into the percentages. The percentage of required handicap parking spaces per total should be calculated based on the percentage of people with physical disabilities within a given population.

The number of handicapped parking spaces should be increased in situations where the percentage of handicapped people that frequent an area is increased. For example, social security administration buildings and physical therapy centers need to have more handicapped parking than the average business place because those two businesses cater to a much larger percentage of disabled people.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Because they physically, logistically cannot make use of traditional parking spaces.
You mean disabled people can only park right at the front of a store but if they parked ten feet back they would be unable to do so???
I doubt it.

Quote:
Was this really done with disabled people in mind? Or is it a coincidence that urinal measurements happen to be more suited to a portion of disabled men? Isn't the fact that they are suited only to a portion of the disabled population not telling?
Why else was it done?The ADA was geared towards wheelchair bound people,odd thing is they make up a small proportion of the disabled.

Quote:
What seems lost on the able-bodied is that to be equal to everyone else, the disabled need accommodations.
Nope,that is special treatment....that seems lost on you.You cannot be equal and the same under the law and also expect special consideration and laws just for you....well you can and you do...LOL.
The ADA was one of those feel good laws that only 'mean nasty people' would oppose...and now we get to see it for the poor law it was.

Quote:
This is because they cannot carry out every day tasks in the same way as the able-bodied. They are equal in that they can carry out the same tasks--with accommodations. They are not equal in the sense that they need accommodations to carry out the same tasks.
Then you mean they are NOT capable.

Quote:
I agree that mentally and psychologically handicapped people should not be given accommodations that are designed for physical disabilities. They need separate accommodations relating to the nature of their disabilities.
Why not?They are just as disabled as you right?

Quote:
I also agree that the number of handicapped parking spaces required per total parking spaces is completely overestimated because people with mental and psychological handicaps are figured into the percentages. The percentage of required handicap parking spaces per total should be calculated based on the percentage of people with physical disabilities within a given population.
How about this,have NO handicapped parking at all?

Quote:
The number of handicapped parking spaces should be increased in situations where the percentage of handicapped people that frequent an area is increased. For example, social security administration buildings and physical therapy centers need to have more handicapped parking than the average business place because those two businesses cater to a much larger percentage of disabled people.
Unlikely to happen,commonsense and modern law do not mix.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:55 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
You mean disabled people can only park right at the front of a store but if they parked ten feet back they would be unable to do so???
I doubt it.

Why else was it done?The ADA was geared towards wheelchair bound people,odd thing is they make up a small proportion of the disabled.

Nope,that is special treatment....that seems lost on you.You cannot be equal and the same under the law and also expect special consideration and laws just for you....well you can and you do...LOL.
The ADA was one of those feel good laws that only 'mean nasty people' would oppose...and now we get to see it for the poor law it was.

Oz, There are several reasons why the handicapped parking spaces are close to the door. 1) in areas where we get a lot of snow and ice, having spaces close up for people use walkers and wheelchairs just makes it safer for them. Try pushing a wheelchair across 6 inches of snow and you'll understand how much difference it makes, going 50 foot instead of 200 to get inside. 2) people who use wheelchairs set so low they are in danger of being hit by others backing out of parking stalls so it becomes a safety issue to put those spaces up front. 3) there are a lot of diseases and conditions where walking long distances is difficult---heart and lung problems for example. Giving these people a shorter distance to get to the front door gives them more left over energy to shop once they get inside and that is good for business.

With all due respect, the ADA laws are not "poor laws." They may have certain things that could be tweaked regarding employment but the spirit of the law regarding building and parking lot accessibility has been a great success. You talk about a lot about commonsense but in my opinion, it is commonsense to make the world more accessible.

I hope you never have to find out first hand what it's like to get disabled. I truly believe you're attitude is in the minority. I've been taking my wheelchair bound husband out three times a week for 11 years and every single time go out we run into people who offer to help transfer him in or out of the car, hold doors, offer to help load his wheelchair, stop to talk or just smile their understanding. I was actually shocked at how much different/friendlier people acted towards us post-wheelchair. We've only run into one nasty-minded person who shares your opinion of handicapped accessibility.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:08 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Most disabled people aren't "demanding special treatment and laws." A few might be like the over zealous guy in the OP article but they are few and far between thus he is a news story because he's different. If, for example, my husband can't get in a building because there is no wheelchair ramp we'll find another place to spend our money. We've only reported one place in 11 years for an ADA violation and that was a doctor's office of all places.

I hope you never have to find out first hand what it's like to be disabled. If it happens you'll be glad that you're not stuck at home 24/7 for lack of a ramp or a hand rail in a public bathroom. You'll be glad for the ADA laws. Thankfully, society is a whole lot more compassionate and empathic than you are.
Very good rely.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
But WHY should a disabled person have laws catering only to them?
Some laws seem to be special but we must be adults and understand that. Can you comprehend what i am saying?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 AM

Hey OZ! You too will be gimped up one of these days if you live long enough. I am quite certain you cruel attitude will change when it is your turn. But hey those of us that have fought the battle for you will over look you ignorance.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Disabled people have special laws for them alone....to only benefit them.

I promise you that they would gladly give up this "preferential treatment" to be able to walk like you and I again.

I am NOT religious (by any means) but one of the bible quotes that I really like is.... Matthew 25:40 "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

Are we not big enough as HUMAN BEINGS, to afford the crippled a little extra consideration?

I think we are.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I'm just waiting for oz to sign up for an elective bilateral amputation of the lower extremities because they have it so much better.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:11 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
I doubt it.
No. What I mean is someone with a wheelchair or cane needs more space between them and the car parked next to them to get out. They physically cannot get out of the car in the narrow space between two parking spaces.

See the 1.2 m of extra space provided around the 2.4 m by 4.8 m area allotted to the car itself? That space is so a wheelchair user can actually transfer from driver's seat to wheelchair and then be able to wheel onto the sidewalk. Wheelchairs are wider than the average person, so more width space is needed so a wheelchair user can get out of the car.

Quote:
The extra space also allows a blind person to get out of the car without whacking the next car over with their cane. It allows people with walkers and crutches, who also need the extra space, to get out. It allows people who need a guide or caretaker to have extra room so the guide or caretaker can help them in or out of the car, and guide them to the next place. It allows people with a wide gait to get out without bumping into the other car. The extra space is useful for a much larger demographic than just wheelchair users.

Handicapped parking is also near the establishment for people who have lung or heart problems who do not carry enough oxygen in their blood to walk long distances. It is also much harder for many mobility-impaired people to travel the same distance as an able-bodied person, such as if they have severe chronic pain and limited motion range from arthritic knees, or if they have balance issues. Even wheeling a wheelchair is much more of an effort than walking, especially in certain weather conditions. The distance a mobility-impaired person can cover is shortened even more if they have to carry groceries.

Quote:
You're mixing up "equal" and "same." Just cause someone doesn't do something the same way doesn't mean they can't do it in an equally effective way. A blind person may be able to read braille just as fast as a sighted person can read print. They're doing it differently, but the outcome is equal.

Quote:
That's why disabled people are called disabled. Because they are not capable of doing certain things. They need accommodations to be able to do those same things.

Quote:
They need accommodations that match their disability. Would you give a deaf person braille? No. A deaf person needs visual accommodations. A blind person needs tactile accommodations. Accommodations are specific to the disability. Someone who is psychologically or mentally disabled needs accommodations specific to their disability.

Quote:
No handicapped parking at all cuts certain people off from being able to participate in society at all. How would you feel if you couldn't go to the store, or go to school, or your doctor's appointment, or get into your workplace building, etc.?

Quote:
Actually it's already happening. There are more handicapped parking spaces at certain buildings. The physical therapy building I used to go to was almost all handicapped parking cause pretty much everyone that walked in there was physically handicapped in one way or another.

I hope that if you ever do become disabled one day, it doesn't hit you too hard. If you become disabled though, you will quickly realize how useful these laws are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies