Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:05 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
He isnt, 2008 is the STARTING point for the report. You do need a starting point on a report to compare up against
Why?

Quote:
Actually the dollar is relatively the same since obama took office, but the value of the dollar isnt the topic of the thread. If you had bothered to look at the report, it deals with the indexted trade weight value of the dollar, in comparison to the price of oil, and it points out in 2009, when Obama took office, they were the same.

Not the topic of the report, again, why are you having such a difficult time staying on the topic?
Why does the article start and is fixated on Obama, as opposed to comparing his policies to one that just preceded him since there was a very similar situation then as well (in fact, worse)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why?
This from the poste who likes to pick and choose certain unemployment levels during the Bush years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why does the article start and is fixated on Obama, as opposed to comparing his policies to one that just preceded him since there was a very similar situation then as well (in fact, worse)?
Because AGAIN, when Obama took over the indexed trade weight of the dollar, and the price of oil was the same.

I dont think I've met anyone so troubled with staying focused.. The report isnt even that long, did you even look at it? I give up. I get it, Obama can do no wrong in your books.. I got it, you'll defend him, even if it means embarassing yourself.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
This from the poste who likes to pick and choose certain unemployment levels during the Bush years.
Indeed. Perspective then, perspective now. Not your cup of soup, is it?

Quote:
Because AGAIN, when Obama took over the indexed trade weight of the dollar, and the price of oil was the same.

You just arent getting this are you? Clearly you havent looked at the report. Hell, you can just skim the reading and look at the pretty pictures if it helps you from embarassing yourself.

I dont think I've met anyone so troubled with staying focused.. The report isnt even that long..
So, why doesn't the report address the causes and effect, to relate to price issue with oil? Is this about Obama, or is it about policies affecting prices? In my world, sincere discussion on policies wouldn't be ignoring historical lessons, much less one that comes from just couple of years ago.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:16 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
Quote:
The Committee is chaired by Bob Casey, a Democrat
You are being slippery. The committee is chaired by Bob Casey but this report isn't being issued by the whole Committee, it's just the Republicans -- that's why it isn't listed in the Committee's report list.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,438,358 times
I'm tired of people making excuses for high gas. I don't like high gas prices under a Republician President, nor do i like very high gas prices under a Democratic President. Is no difference, high gas prices are high gas prices.

I'm not one to make excuses for my party, as some do, under Republician high gas prices i hated it, and did not make excuses, nor would i make an excuse now if i were a Dem. How much higher are gas prices going to get this is the question. History does repeat itself.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,767,375 times
Obama's policies have helped improve the economy, which means gas will go up.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I'm tired of people making excuses for high gas. I don't like high gas prices under a Republician President, nor do i like very high gas prices under a Democratic President. Is no difference, high gas prices are high gas prices.

I'm not one to make excuses for my party, as some do, under Republician high gas prices i hated it, and did not make excuses, nor would i make an excuse now if i were a Dem. How much higher are gas prices going to get this is the question. History does repeat itself.
I'm supposed to help someone getting ready to retire, get in a new vehicle (actually, slightly used). The person is keen on getting a minivan, but with a very basic income (SS), I've made it a point to her that she plan for a lot higher gas prices, even $6/gallon in 2-3 years.

With the increase in population, limited resources and increasing dependency, the prices are only going to go up. It is why we must reconsider our use as a nation that consumes over 20 million bbl/day and relies a bit too much on oil.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:46 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
From the OP:" Obama's Monetary Policies have ADDED 56.5 Cents to every gallon of gas you pump"

Hurray! We want to go back to the good ole days when the government didn't tax the gas you pump!

Last edited by Visvaldis; 06-06-2011 at 01:00 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
Let's also understand that U.S. Oil Import Dependence is declining due to policies such as raising mileage standards -- the same policies ridiculed by the right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
" Obama's Monetary Policies have ADDED 56.5 Cents to every gallon of gas you pump"
Let's also recognize reality, the subject Republican report was designed with pre-determined results and should not be mistaken for an objective scientific study. As EinsteinsGhost and I have shown, there is no legitimate basis for its conclusions.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:55 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,298,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Psst: The President doesn't control monetary policy. That's up to the Federal Reserve which does not report to the President.
That you for adding that piece of reality to the consersation.

Conservatives tend to so focused on their hatred of all things Obama that FACTS like this often simply get lost in the vitriol, hatred and ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies