Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:42 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Because republicans have to be in LOCK STEP with certain ideals or they risk alienating a huge portion of their base.
LOCK STEP is too strong, generally like minded is a better fit.

Quote:
Democrats have the support of a wide variety of people so a democrat can have opposing views without crippling political affects.
Again I would say generally like minded, I don't think a Democrat who is anti abortion could get elected but I do think a Republican who is pro abortion could as long as he was mostly conservative in other areas.

Quote:
Not to mention Atheists rarely care if someone is Religious but the Religious REALLY care if someone is an Atheist.
I disagree, most Athiests I come across have distain for religious people and see them as feeble minded.

Quote:
So the Republicans have much stronger dedication to their viewpoints.
I think Republicans naturally have more "viewpoints" than Liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Republicans are much more so a big-tent party than the democrats. The concept of a "RINO" is a result of this;

The democratic party is an alliance between "true" liberals and socially-conservative-fiscally liberal minorities, with the liberals firmly in the drivers seat.

The republican party is an alliance between "true" conservatives, libertarians, and socially-conservative-fiscally liberal white people, with a constant tug of war for control of the party and it's agenda.

As a result, both people in the libertarian wing and the religious-right wing will sling accusations of not being a "real" republican at eachother, because they see the other as not caring about (or worse, holding an opposite viewpoint on) the issues which they view as being the important ones for why they support the Republican party. "RINO" in particular is a more popular term among the religious-right and the "true" conservatives that lean more in that direction, but, the principal and issues behind it goes across the party.
I'd be interested to hear the latest definition of 'true conservative'.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:14 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I'd be interested to hear the latest definition of 'true conservative'.
I believe that true conservatives have been frustrated for so long that they are not even sure.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
Social Conservatives a.k.a the religious right also call Ron Paul A RINO because he takes a Liberal stance on all social issues like legalization of all drugs, abortion, same sex marriage, prostitution, Israel, etc.
Of course they'd call Ron Paul a RINO. For those positions and being given an "acceptable" rating by Log Cabin Republicans nationally (and getting a full fledged endorsement from some Log Cabin chapters).

The irony is that Ron Paul's Taftite political roots go back much farther in the GOP than those of the Religious Right, which are rooted in the Dixiecrat tradition.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:36 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
From Human Events in 2009:

Top 10 House RINOs - HUMAN EVENTS
I presume Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Pete King, both neocons, made the list because of their moderate positions on some social issues? LOL at Fred Upton being deemed "insufficiently conservative". Pat Murphy, btw, is a Dem.

LOL at Thad Cochran being deemed "insufficiently conservative". Aside from the ladies from Maine and Specter most of the people on that list are pragmatists.

Quote:
And from a conservative blog - warning - his language is rough:

Top 10 RINO’s « Double567 – Trapped In A Progressive World
Olympia Snowe as the most liberal Republican EVER? Has that blogger never heard of some Republicans of the past like Charles Matthias or Jacob Javits?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:45 AM

195 posts, read 250,525 times
Colin Powell is the most liberal Republican ever, not Olympia Snowe. I remember there was an interview with him earlier this year where he says he actually thinks Obama is doing a good job as president. Now that is the epitome of a RINO. No true Republican can be satisfied with the direction Obama is taking this country.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 AM

1,027 posts, read 824,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
LOCK STEP is too strong, generally like minded is a better fit.

Again I would say generally like minded, I don't think a Democrat who is anti abortion could get elected but I do think a Republican who is pro abortion could as long as he was mostly conservative in other areas.

I disagree, most Athiests I come across have distain for religious people and see them as feeble minded.

I think Republicans naturally have more "viewpoints" than Liberals.

Atheists vote for religious politicians. They HAVE to.

Religious people do not vote for Atheists. If a GREAT true conservative who had a strong record of supporting conservative viewpoints said "There is no God"...despite his voting record/track record he/she would be DONE.

The Democrats have leaders that openly criticize religion and still win elections.

I have not seen that on the right.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Barack Obama

Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Name at least three well-known Republicans who you consider to be RINOs (Republican In Name Only).

And what beliefs or positions are the biggest indicators that a Republican is a RINO?
Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe both from Maine and John McCain

Old 06-06-2011, 02:39 PM

537 posts, read 818,984 times
RINOs, as defined by the ultra-right Human Events, appear to be Republicans who will actually work together with Democrats on the issues, and not trash them at every possible opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies