Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 PM

812 posts, read 595,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well the boomers are "spent" and have to worry about retirement and aging now. Their free spending days are coming to a close as they turn 65 starting this year.
What brought us to this sorry pass is a perfect hybridization of big bank deregulators rpugs and vote whoren demorats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Got something against unions, high pay and good benefits?
States are free to do what they want.
I'll just live elsewhere where unions don't rule because I want to work without having to join a union. If the job's working conditions are crappy I'll just go elsewhere. I've gotten high pay and good benefits using my degree to get a job. 23 years as a systems programmer..yeah I did OK without unions.

And yes, I guess I do have "something" against unions.
My father got put on graveyard shift in another state when he crossed a picket line to work because he had 5 kids and a wife that didn't work. Food needed to be put on the table.

When the strike was over he went from first shift at Penn Station to third shift in some forgotten yard in Philly which he did for 5 years until he retired.

The union ALWAYS gets revenge against their workers.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I wonder if Obama would bail out the fast food industry? Another billion dollars of stimulus will buy a LOT of hamburgers.....

Old 06-06-2011, 07:27 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
I know the Right isn't complaining about these McJobs.
Yes we are. I do not want an environment in the US for my children in which the average worker makes minimum wage. It would be best for them to then leave the country and seek other nations in which there are better opportunities- kind of an American Dream in reverse.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yes we are. I do not want an environment in the US for my children in which the average worker makes minimum wage. It would be best for them to then leave the country and seek other nations in which there are better opportunities- kind of an American Dream in reverse.
As it goes, I'll be glad with the change.

It'll be that much easier for people like me to exploit the low expectation lefties!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Sure. Open a car manufacturing company and hire folks, union of course, and give them good pay and benefits. If money is tight just restructure your debt and shrug off investors to save the employees.

Oh wait..he did do that !
Oh you funny humourous person you! Yep already happened, did he do that!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Got something against unions, high pay and good benefits?
When such arrangements are forced on employers under threat of violence and backed by the biggest bully of all the federal government, I do.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I wonder if Obama would bail out the fast food industry? Another billion dollars of stimulus will buy a LOT of hamburgers.....

Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Sure. Open a car manufacturing company and hire folks, union of course, and give them good pay and benefits. If money is tight just restructure your debt and shrug off investors to save the employees.

Oh wait..he did do that !
Heck, not even McDonalds' was hiring before Obama took office, or so you believe?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
States are free to do what they want.
I'll just live elsewhere where unions don't rule because I want to work without having to join a union. If the job's working conditions are crappy I'll just go elsewhere. I've gotten high pay and good benefits using my degree to get a job. 23 years as a systems programmer..yeah I did OK without unions.

And yes, I guess I do have "something" against unions.
My father got put on graveyard shift in another state when he crossed a picket line to work because he had 5 kids and a wife that didn't work. Food needed to be put on the table.

When the strike was over he went from first shift at Penn Station to third shift in some forgotten yard in Philly which he did for 5 years until he retired.

The union ALWAYS gets revenge against their workers.
Your dad could've done just what you said you'd do.....find another job somewhere else if working under union conditions was so bad. Obviously, he had no problem with it since he decided to stay long enough to not only retire, but work for 5 years while being mistreated.

If you cross picket lines, you get what you get.

As for you doing ok without joining a union, good for you. Most people have to get by without joining a union, so that's no big deal. But i'm not going to begrudge the people with the good sense to fight for good wages and benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies