Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would An Anarchist Society Be Heaven On Earth ?
NO because there are way too many bad apples in the Human race who would ruin it for everybody else 29 85.29%
YES because 99.99% of the Human race is made up of good people who have good hearts 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
An anarchist society would be nothing but crime, murder, rape, rioting, looting, etc.
We already have that now in mass quantities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 07:51 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
So you want more?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
And what's the only thing holding society together? Law and order. Lawlessness is to be avoided.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
For most of the time humans have existed, for tens of thousands of years, there were no governments.
True, there were no formal governments, but there have always been tribes and tribe leaders and "enforcers" and people who ran the show.

My experience has been that, overwhelmingly, there are fare more follwers than there are leaders and the majority of people WANT to have someone tell them what to do.

Anarchy would be interesting. I think the herd would be thinned pretty quickly.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-06-2011, 08:13 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
" Would An Anarchist Society Be The Closest Thing To Heaven On Earth ?"

It would never happen because the first requirement of anarchy is people with independent minds. Most people are conformists and want to belong to the herd.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:13 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
So you want more?
Yes. I view it as a valid liberty trade-off. This is an acceptable trade-off in the eyes of those who put liberty ahead of safety, and who hold it ethically axiomatic that safety should be subordinate to liberty, liberty should not be subordinate to safety. This should not be taken to mean there is some liberty to harm others, since ethics does not r evaporate from the human equation (unless for some reason, the world suddenly turned into a bunch of moral nihilists), not under anarchism, not under any system.

I consider it better to be unsafe than "un-free," especially when the degree of risk I often see presented as a worst case scenario is well within the range of acceptable parameters for me. I accept the risk, because (a) life inherently involves the probability of risk every microsecond of every day of your life, and this is just a fact people need to com to terms with and hedge to the extent they feel is within acceptable ethical parameters, (b) because there are ways to hedge those risks that don't necessarily revolve running to "governments" (in their current form), and (c) because as mentioned previously I hold it as axiomatic that safety is generally subordinate to liberty.

Some hedge the risks by ceding their liberty to government, others choose not to get locked into that false paradigm, as if to believe the fallacy that there are no other options with which humans can avail themselves. Human ingenuity is nearly boundless, there are almost always 'other ways.'

Perhaps start with the concept of polycentric law, as proposed by numerous legal philosophers, an alternative which should be within the "comfort range" of people who believe in government (esp. limited-government). It presents a very "government-like" and "law and order-like" approach, working largely within the framework of the law we all "know and love," but simply has fewer monopolistic elements to it that don't run afoul of certain property rights principles and other ethical conflicts.

Government exists for utilitarian reasons, to handle certain problems. But it is merely one utilitarian solution amongst an infinite sea of utilitarian solutions.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 06-06-2011 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nostalgia Critic View Post
Would an anarchist society be an utopia where there would be very little crime, murder, rape, rioting, looting, and invading of people's private property ?
No, and I can't even vote in your poll b/c I disagree with the reasoning. Why can't we just stick with Yes and No options?

No, it would not be "utopia" or "heaven on earth." Rules are there for a reason. While I don't believe we need a whole host of laws to tell us how to live, we do need some basic laws that guide humankind in their daily lives and make America a place that thrives.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:16 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
What? All of those things you listed would be common place. Anarchy means no government and no laws. What would keep people from taking everything you owned? If it was like that I would walk right into your house fully armed and just take what I wanted, maybe even your wife.

Careful. For a lot of men, that would be a good thing.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Most people believe that anarchy is violence. Violence is the way of the mob (herd), not for independent thinkers.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
So you want more?

Why do you assume there would be more crime?

Do you think there are that many people who don't commit crimes only because we have a government?

I wouldn't rob or kill people with or without government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies