Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:11 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,329,691 times

Advertisements

I always find Jim Grant to be an quite good at giving historical prospective to present-day financial policy. He seems to think that the world may be moving away from dollars due to the policies of the Federal Reserve. Still, I think the conclusion that he draws here is pretty obvious.

YouTube - ‪The World's Abandonment Of The Dollar Is Happening NOW‬‏

I'm shocked, shocked to learn that people wouldn't want to trade in a currency that's being debased.

YouTube - ‪The Captain Louis Renault Award‬‏

It's interesting that when people talk about raising the debt ceiling, they fail to discuss who we will be borrowing money from. As it turns out, China has dumped almost all of their US bond holdings. The Fed could hold the debt, but that simply leads to more inflation and compounds any confidence problems with the dollar. Confidence problems are a big deal, since dollars really don't represent anything (i.e. they're un-backed fiat currency since 1971: Nixon Shock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The only reason that dollars are worth anything is because people believe that they are worth something. If that belief changes, the US could become 1948 Argentina in a snap.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure that I understand how increasing our debt will help us to get out of the hole. Perhaps someone could fill me in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 04:24 PM

1,027 posts, read 822,459 times
Move from dollars to what?

Old 06-06-2011, 04:29 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,269,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Australian Dollars

Canadian Dollars

Swiss Francs

Brazilian Reals.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,155,108 times
OMG..you are NOT supposed to be posting what other countries are considering regarding trading in USD. The administration and MSM have gone out of their way to not mention this to the masses of sheeple that only know how to read headlines.

And, because the MSM isn't saying anything, many posters will come on here and tell you that you are delusional for thinking this and posting delusional "made up" videos.

There..got that in right off the bat.

We've been the world reserve currency since WWII. We won't hold it forever, although there are those that think otherwise.

But there is nothing out there as of yet to replace the USD. Lots of talk, lots of suggestions. Emerging nations that are growing do not want to rely on a currency like the USD which is losing it's value with every turn of the printing press.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM

The only thing that we've got going for us right now is most other currencies suck too. The Swiss Franc used to be a popular safe-haven currency since it was backed by gold, but they abandoned their gold standard in 2001.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,155,108 times
Quote:
The IMF has been proposing SDR to replace the USD.
Even SDR denominated bonds to replace US Treasuries.

Now this was being pushed by the IMF's very own DSK.
But he's behind bars now and resigned so who knows what's on the table at the IMF.
IMF discusses plan to replace dollar as reserve currency - Feb. 10, 2011
International Monetary Fund director Dominique Strauss-Kahn calls for new world currency - Telegraph

Old 06-06-2011, 04:47 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,363,206 times
Quote:
Chinese money:

1 Chinese yuan = 0.1544 US dollars

June 06, 2011 @ 2:47pm PDT.

I thought everyone knew...

Rio eyes switch from US dollars to the yuan

EU council president says Chinese yuan will eventually become a major global currency

Yuan at record high versus dollar after Treasury report

China Takes Aim at Dollar

In China, Tentative Steps Toward Global Currency

Please tell me you haven't been sleeping on this...

Last edited by LuckyGem; 06-06-2011 at 04:55 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The IMF has been proposing SDR to replace the USD.
Even SDR denominated bonds to replace US Treasuries.

Now this was being pushed by the IMF's very own DSK.
But he's behind bars now and resigned so who knows what's on the table at the IMF.
IMF discusses plan to replace dollar as reserve currency - Feb. 10, 2011
International Monetary Fund director Dominique Strauss-Kahn calls for new world currency - Telegraph
Hmm... so... the IMF gets the monopoly on the world's reserve currency? I'm sure they'd like that. We all know that they're on trustworthy and on the up-and-up, though, right?

Anyhew, more from Jim Grant on the Fed:

YouTube - ‪James Grant, editor of Grant's Interest-Rate Observer‬‏

I actually like the second video better than the first.

Last edited by flash3780; 06-06-2011 at 05:00 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 04:50 PM

1,027 posts, read 822,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Australian Dollars

Canadian Dollars

Swiss Francs

Brazilian Reals.

MAYBE Swiss francs as a long-shot if the US was destroyed financially.

Never in a million years...on the rest

Old 06-06-2011, 04:50 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,021,133 times
if the US dollar isn't worth anything, abandoning it is the only option..no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies